March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (JDH, JayCee, SKB, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#70792 12/10/07 10:12 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm considering purchasing a Drilling, if possible to have it engraved in the US. In any case, I'm looking for one in 12x12x9.3x74, and was looking at either Heym, Merkel, or Krieghoff. Does anyone have any thoughts on which one is superior, so far as function? I know there's a number of ways that barrel selection can work - I prefer something that's (if not idiot proof) is reasonably simple to operate. I know Merkel makes three lock drillings - ideally I'd like a gun that has one trigger for the shotgun barrels, and one for the rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven M.:

I'd suggest visiting Joe M.'s JMAR site for info. In having 1 trigger for the shotgun barrels and 1 for the rifle may require a configuration of a rifle and shotgun over a shotgun combination. I believe at one time Heym made a 3 trigger drilling.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Steven---I always thought that was an excellent 3 barrel drilling arrangement of shot gun gauge and rifle caliber. It would be my choice as well! Let us know how the pursuit unveils. I do not have any new recommendations for a good source for drillings, I would just google it and chase the results down.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were looking for this set up I'd contact Dale @ Heirloom Arms. He will surprise you with a very nice drilling at a very nice price. I've dealt with him and reccomend him highly.
http://www.heirloomarmes.com/index.htm

Steve & Yogi:
You are very correct on the usefulness of both the 12-bore and the 9.3x74 cartridges, and the desirability of a drilling so-chambered.

This combination is historically rare in my experience, because you end up with either a 9 lb shotgun or a 7 1/2 lb 9.3x74, neither of which is ideal for shooting. Something in between will always be a compromise. I believe this is why the 9.3x72 was usually chosen as a medium-bore chambering for the rifle barrel, as it is still relatively comfortable to shoot in the lighter weights needed for a lively shotgun.

Of course, modern makers will probably build whatever is ordered within reason, but when tossing cash at a brand-new drilling in the suggested combination, serious thought should be given to the desired weight. A heavy shotgun may be OK for fowling, but is a real handicap when walking-up game.

If I lived in the US, I would talk directly with the guys at Heym USA, but any of the three makers listed produce marvellous products for the price IMHO.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've contacted Heirloom Arms, as well as Heym USA. I was planning on using Geoffroy Gournet for the engraving, who indicated that Krieghoff was willing to provide guns in the white for engraving. Depending on what Merkel and Heym's policies are, the decision as to maker might already have been made. I have some specific ideas about what I'd like to have engraved, and I'd rather have an engraver I can actually talk to, as opposed to playing "telephone".

I'd like this to be the "one gun" for everything (though I still will own other guns), and 9.3x74mm seems to be the best choice for that. Since Krieghoff offers a stock recoil reducer, I'd rather the gun be closer to 7.5 lbs. That's light enough for any shotgun use other than slugs, and with the addition of the reducer and the scope with EAW mounts the weight should be fine for 9.3x74 and a slug or two up top.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bravo! I have a "Plain Jane" Krieghoff Plus Drilling with the Dural frame in 12x12x9.3x74.
The combination is perfect for pretty much everything...
(Although the German Chokes are tight and at some point I will have a choke tube or tubes installed.)

I also had a swing mount put on by NECG and a Leupold 1.5x5 illuminated reticle scope.

If I had an unlimited budget...I would be looking at the Krieghoff Quadro with three sets of barrels...
(I am using a 20 bore more an more and would elect to go that route in a new gun.)

Set 1 - Standard config
20ga/3" X 20ga/3"
9.3x74R

Set 2 - Custom config
20ga/3" fully rifled X 20ga/3" fully rifled
20ga/3" w/choke tube
(I know this is an odd ball but if you live in Uptate NY you can only hunt deer with a shotgun...and this would be the cats meow!)

Set 3 - Standard config
.470 NE X .470 NE
20ga/3"

All would have EAW swing mounts and a Schmidt and Bender low mag varriable scope with illuminated reticle. Pop up ghost ring peep too!

And of course it would have to be engraved....American game scenes...Pheasant, Grouse, WhiteTail....

OK...who wants the bill....I know I don't!

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Weber
Bravo! I have a "Plain Jane" Krieghoff Plus Drilling .....
I also had a swing mount put on by NECG and a Leupold 1.5x5 illuminated reticle scope.

Dave, which NECG mount do you use? While looking at their sight I couldn't find one marked "swing mount."

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Love my Colt Sauer, 12 ga. and 30-06. 2 triggers with a selector for the right trigger so its the right shotgun barrel or if the rear sight is "up" it is selected for the rifle barrel. Very simple and idiot proof. I am amazed how accurate it is with open fixed sights. With a 150 grain bullet it shoots point of aim at 100 yards. Most of the time I was hitting a fixed clay piegon set at 100 yards. I think it would be a great lion gun with a slug, buckshot and the good old 30-06. Heck, these guns will hunt about anything on the planet.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, as of now I'm waiting for a quote back on a Heym 37 and a 55, via Heirloom Arms. Depending on what answer I get back I'll go with Heym or Krieghoff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.