April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (coosa, susjwp, Ted Schefelbein), 1,010 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob...sorry for the late come back...
NECG put an EAW swing mount on my Drilling...I am pretty sure it's a standard affair.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Dave, is the the type where the rear has a screw that loosens and the scope swings 90˚ to lift the front mount out?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob,

The mount is an EAW swing mount and has a lever on the rear that allows locking/unlocking of the aft scope mount then the scope pivots in the front mount 90 degrees and you lift it out.

The Guys at NECG do the best work...it is not an economy job and does take a while because they are always busy....But they are the best in the US with German/Austrain claw and swing mounts.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Dave,

Sorry to butt in but I'd like to share with you my experience with claw mounts (Suhler Einhakmontage or SEM):
I have a Simson 12 bore with said mounts and a 4x32 scope that I wanted to change for a 1,5/6x36. In my infinite ignorance, I got the "new" scope and a couple of sets of claws second hand and in perfect working order. When I had all the components I came to realize that nothing matched anything. The "new" claws had nothing to do with the mount on my gun. To make a not so long story short, I had to get the old claws off of the 4x32 scope and adapt them to the 1,5/6 scope.

All this to justify what you mention: "...it is not an economy job and does take a while...".It is now clear to me me that these type of mounts are completely customized to each gun. They are extremely practical to use though and are fully justified. At least my SEM is. You take the scope off and put in back on in a jiffy.

Best

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am lucky enough to own a J. P. Sauer sidelock, sidecocking drilling in 12x12x 9.3x74R. Weight, 7.25 lbs. but very nice to shoot with a good recoil pad. It started life as 9.3x72R Sauer (a propritary bottlenecked cartridge like the 74R). Someone reamed the chamber to 74R and had it re-proofed in Suhl in 1941 in the heat of war! The only problem is the difference in head diameters; the 72R S is .1 mm bigger. If you shoot S&B ammo, you get incipient case head separtion. RWS, Norma, and the new Hornady loads seem to work fine. I only fire the cases once after reloading, however, and loads are kept at factory velocity.

On scope mounts, I dont really like claw mounts on a drilling (although I have them). They really break up the nice, clean shotgun top line, in my opinion. I'm now in the process of making a folding peep sight for the Sauer. You make a treaded steel post to replace the top lever screw and file it square to accept a folding sight blade. Allen screws allow windage adjustment and the elevation is adjusted by filing down a new front post.

While in Reno at the Gunmaker's Guild Show, I saw the new J. P. Smithson scope mounts. Very nice looking but not cheap. Check it out at smithson-gunmaker.com It looked like the cat's meow except he didnt make 7/8 inch rings for my favorite drilling scope, the Lyman Alaskan.

Good Shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The J. P. Smithson scope mounts look a real piece of master work. They certainly make less of a visual impact on a gun's silohuette but I find that is offset somewhat by the finish of the surface differing so dramatically from the blued rib. I wonder if they need to be white or if they can be blued to match the rib?

Also, my Nimrod has the usual rear sight that pops up when the rifle barrel is selected, I'll have to ask Mr. Smithson if his bases can allow for the through travel of the pushrod that actuates the rear sight.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, they can be blued. At Reno, he had a nice set on a Purdey double rifle. The bases and rings were engraved by Charles Lee; with that treatment and rust bluing they matched the rifle perfectly.

The mounts will not impede the action of the "rusty wire" under the top rib of your Nimrod.

Good shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rusty wire? Rusty WIRE? I have my mine serviced and lubricated yearly! Didn't they have stainless in 1939?

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven,

I have a drilling in 16x16x.30-30 and I never fire it because I always get messed up with the firing order/safety/selector arrangement. Not a gun problem it's a user (me) problem. However, I do have two Win 101 combo guns that I do shoot and hunt with. One is a 12x7X65R and the other is a 12x9.3X74R. Based on my experience with those I would think that a drilling with either a 7X65R or 9.3X74R barrel would be good for just about anything in the USA. Both of my combo guns have factory scope mounts that are just like the EAW and I have a .375 bolt action with the EAW mounts. I love those mounts. They are easy to use, don't rust like some of the lever mounts I've used, and they do repeat the point of aim when taken off and replaced. I think you made an excellent choice. By the way, I think you can get a peep sight that you can slip into the rear of the EAW mounts when not using a scope. Not sure - I just seem to remember something about that. Good shooting.

~
Sidelock
Sidelock

Grenadier and C. Kofoed

You have PM's

tunes

Last edited by tunes; 02/25/08 03:34 PM.

"It's a good day for something"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.