March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dan R), 819 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7079 10/11/06 08:09 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just got a cape gun that I'll be using for whitetails. The range would be about 100yds tops but with much of it 50 or less. The rifle barrel is 9.3x72R so that should take care of the longer stuff but I was thinking 16ga slugs for the close-in shots. The bore of the gun measures .670" and goes down to .656" at the choke, about modified. The slug body measures .624" with a lip around the upper portion that measures .670". This means the slug is about .014" wider than the tightest part of the barrel. The barrels are Krupp steel made about 1912 or so. The loads I'll be making up I'm hoping will be from 7500-9000psi. I know it is had to answer but do you think there will be a problem? How much do slugs compress? The lip is very thin front to back. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Frank

#7080 10/12/06 06:18 PM

Foster style slugs are hollow based so they will swage down through any choke. You should have no problem in your gun with the Foster style.

On the other hand, your rifle will knock them right down at close range as well as long, and its velocity is low enough to prevent a lot of meat damage. I would be inclined to use the rifle bbl regardless of range - saves having the deer step behind a bush while you're thinking about which barrel to use.

#7081 10/12/06 07:10 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Carl, makes sense. The rifle is on the Right side, front trigger so I'd probably pull that if I didn't think first which is the way to go.
Frank

#7082 10/14/06 10:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Frank.

You may try the Remington factory slugs in the gun. They tend to be WAY smaller than the bore size and as far as pressures go, seem to be below Brenneke.
Before you bother reloading take them for a test drive. I have put them through a number of guns with no problems.

Where did you pick up the gun? Just got an Austrian cape myself.

Cheers

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, I have a Simson 12bore sxs that is equipped with claw mounts and a scope. I intend to use it for deer and wild boar. Althought not sure, it is probably choked M and F (and it being German surely on the tight side).

Local assortment of slugs is on the flimsy side: the Remington Copper Solids (out of the question), Remington slugs (afraid of SAAMI pressures), Fiocchi slugs (CIP norm). Also some very expensive (more than double the price of Remington slugs) Spanish sabot slugs designed for any choke.

Do you think the Remington slugs will "pass" through ok? Would pressure be an issue?

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello JayCee.
I am no expert on pressures, so I don't know the effect it will have on your gun. If the chamber length is correct and the gun is properly proofed I wouldn't worry too much.
What I have found is that some of the foster slugs, such as the Remington, tend to be relatively small in diameter. Within the past few years, Remington changed the diameter of the 12ga slug that they were using. They made it a bit larger than it used to be so that may change things a bit. Those fosters are made to pass through most chokes just by design as Carl mentioned, but I really can't say how it would act in your gun.
In the past I would have a few different slugs cut out of the shells and the one that fit the bore the closest usually shot the best. It would definately let you know just how close a fit it is.
Buenos Suerte.

Tom

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies Tom, I had computer problems and was off line for awhile. The slugs I used are Ballistic Products DG slugs. I loaded to a recipe from the 16 ga group. I came up with a load that shoots at 1200 fps/7400psi. The energy level is about what a 58cal bullet weighing 430 gr. with 130gr of FFg produces, 1,447 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Opening day I had a buck, and two does come by my ground hide. The buck was at 35 yds and the doe at 25. I hit the buck with the 9.3, he jumped and walked off back into the brush. I swung on the doe and hit it with the slug, dropped like a stone. It got up after two minutes down and could barely stand, I dropped it again with another slug. I found the buck less than 50 feet from where I had shot it. The entry wound was of course 9mm the exit wound was as big as my thumb. I had fired two boxes of 9.3 at the range to sight in and almost as many slugs.The 9.3 is more accurate than the sights. The slugs are fine out to about 40yds.I had another recipe tested for slugs that came in at 1399fps/9400psi. The gun is not Nitro proofed and I knew I would only use it close in so I didn't load them. Only problem was my season was over way too quickly.
Frank

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Frank, kudos on the double. I planed on the same thing opening day, but it is funny what a difference of an inch or two makes when something is supposed to drop "right there". I was ready to swing on the doe when the buck decided that he wasn't finished yet. I got the deer, but it took a bit more time.
I may want to try that recipe for the 16 ga load. I need a lower pressure for both of my cape guns and that sounds very reasonable.
Remember, the season isn't over yet. Still have black powder in a few weeks.
Good hunting.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.