May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (KY Jon, Wild Skies, AGS, 2 invisible), 622 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,048
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jakearoo
My .02 is that most of the old guns we find should be minimally restored. I mean, first things first. You HAVE to clean them up and stop any rust or pitting or other corrosion. Some may have to be blued. Stocks should be repaired and in some cases replaced. But, if you can essentially give it a boost along its way and still preserve what it was/is that is a good thing.

At some point, a gun is trashed enough that there is no sense in trying to "preserve" it or "be faithful" to what it was.

I personally think "project guns" which are going to be essentially rebuilt, like a blazing Phoenix arising from the flames, should indeed come from sound but trashed guns. The barrels have to be good enough support the project but if a gun is going to be annealed, newly engraved, restocked etc. then it should be one which can't be rehabbed.

Now the real issue for all of us who love these old guns is what is going to happen when the powers that be ultimately outlaw lead shot. It makes me shudder.

Regards to all, Jake

I could not have said it better. We are looking for the same guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mike campbell
Originally Posted By: battle
dblfever..........who'd you get to relay ribs for 400?

http://www.giacomosporting.com/home.htm

From his 2006 price list....

"RESOLDERING:

Price includes bore and choke measurements, slow heat disassembly, regulation, reassembly, hand polish and slow rust blue. We are not responsible for barrels that are unsafe to be soldered once disassembled. There will will be additional charges for ribs that need to replaced."

Resolder and reblue ...$385

After a famous SxS guy butchered my barrels, I contacted another famous SxS shop and asked them if they could relay the ribs. They said "Why don't you take them to Giacomo?...that's where we'll send them."

Mike I just checked his website and there's no mention of relaying ribs on doubles, does he still do it?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, Giacomo's still relays and reblues for $385. Just talked to them last week.

Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob;

As you probably know, Giacomo is the head man and is a Perazzi guru. People who know and deal with Giacomo directly sometimes get a little different perspective of the services offered.

If you email them and ask for a price list, you'll get a prompt reply and find they do much more than service Perazzis. Even so, I suspect the list is not comprehensive; for instance, under barrel work, they list boring, polishing and correcting dents and bulges but don't mention choke/cone alterations which they've done for me in the past and I suspect they still do.
They are wonderful people to deal with and the only shop in the country I wholeheartedly endorse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Mike, I have sent an email to Giacomo with my inquiry. I have an otherwise very good condition Lefever G Grade that has a ring bulge in the damascus barrels I'd like to have done.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
At some point, a gun is trashed enough that there is no sense in trying to "preserve" it or "be faithful" to what it was.

I found a Model 1912 Tournament Grade with straight grip and solid rib for $150. It was a beater, but shootable. I put about $1400 into it in parts and professional labor, and I now have the best looking Tournament Grade 1912 I've ever seen. Of course, it's not original and I probably won't get my money out in this lifetime, but who cares? Old guns are like old cars. You are generally much better off buying one that someone else has dumped a pile of money into.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Old guns are like old cars. You are generally much better off buying one that someone else has dumped a pile of money into.

Ain't it the truth. I own a few beautiful guns that someone else put a bunch of money and time into. I have purchased them for a whole bunch less than it would cost to have the work done. But, I have my projects as well. I currently have two SWs back being stocked with Ken's man Boone. And when that is done the fun really begins.

And on we go.

Regards, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

From a gunamker's poitn of view, it is a good way to get very little for your labor. Making a gun to someone's specs is usually several times more profitable than building a spec gun and hoping it is what soemone wants. Now makers who are established and at the top of the field can do it and make money. But that is because these folks have spent years developing their skills and reputation, and their waiting list is years long.

I also am in 100% agreement with King et al that a gun that has been recased is a MAJOR turn off to me. I am firmly of the belief that a gun should only be recased when it is required for mechanical performance. CC'ing for "looks" is terrible in my view, and I will be very glad when this current fad of CC'ing any and everything will go away. If you need to reshape or engrave an action, then of course it will need to be recased. But if it was done just to ge "pretty colors" then for me the gun is worht less money.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

This one was recased. Complete resto including new wood. It's a 1892 #2 Crass and I love it. I could never afford a gun in this condition if original. Heck, I doubt there is an original in this condition anywhere.

If someone doesn't like what's been done to this gun, so be it. He's not getting it anyway, as long as I'm ablebodied. This gun is for me.

Last edited by Chuck H; 12/10/07 11:22 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

What if you're ablebodied but feeble minded?

I bid $1500 !!!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.