March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 45 of 55 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 54 55
Sidelock
Sidelock

I still believe the "names incorporated in the welding" is a top layer or coating of some kind ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: revdocdrew
Very good Pete-do you have an approximate year of production of that Greener? I'm thinking that pattern is what Greener called "Laminated Damascus"

Drew,

It says on the rib, "Laminated Steel". I can't make out the address, or the by "X". I was hoping some one with better eyes...

As to date, I included the serial number, 7975, hoping some one could date it properly.

Pete

PeteM #69004 11/30/07 05:33 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OH MY GOODNESS- the English Damascus Identification Rosetta Stone is found!! CC put my onto this.
Lot #94 in the current Gavin Gardiner auction catalog- 11 damascus segments identifying type and quality http://www.gavingardiner.com/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=0003&LotRef=94
Lot #84 is a Stub Twist Demonstration section
http://www.gavingardiner.com/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=0003&LotRef=84

Right now 1 British pound = 2.0682 U.S. dollars, and the estimated low prices are 300 and 400 pounds Sterling

Last edited by revdocdrew; 11/30/07 05:50 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Huge bummer I heard back from Gavin Gardiner, and the brl segments are just that, no indication of the pattern name. The search for the Damascus Rosetta stone continues.
Something like this is out there somewhere
http://www.littlegun.be:80/arme%20belge/...0damas%20gb.htm

Last edited by revdocdrew; 12/03/07 11:32 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

revdocdrew...When I read your email this am.I had no Idea what you were talking about..Rosetta Stone! Being English,I thought maybe it was some form of maybe, a Greek grape that had a lucky 'Pip" inside it! I scanned Gavins Auction Catalog for 'More on the Rosetta Stone!!!That lot#94 would make a really Great conversation piece!!!The listings of all the Accessories...are really unbelievable, treasures to 'us who like that 'stuff'! And of course the Guns & Rifles are a collection that will not be seen for 'Many Moons'anywhere...Would like to be in Hammersmith Dec. 11th..cc/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM,
When Oscar was alive and often used to post examples of his work here, I had a pretty good quality colour printer. The quality of his work was so outstanding that I got into the habit of printing off everything that he posted here. I was also playing around with refinishing some scrap barrels as a learning experience. I corresponded directly with Oscar about the process on several occasions. He was good enough to e-mail some colour photos of his work to me which may or may not have been published elsewhere, I really don't know. This was before I retired and as I had a commercial-duty laminator in my office at the time, I laminated all of that stuff, as well as scanning, printing, and laminating his series in DGJ. I have all of that stuff set up in a 3-ring binder. I don't think that the lamination would interfere with re-scanning what I have but the process would be lengthy, the file huge, and when completed, I have absolutely no idea how to post it here.

Last edited by Ron Vella; 12/04/07 07:58 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ron: thanks to Dave Miles, I have some of Oscar's stuff on the Damascus Barrels album http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=16082038
My primary interest is in identifying the named damascus patterns, and the Belgian makers who produced the barrels used by US gunmakers.
Did Oscar have a file of London, Birmingham, Boston, Chine, Oxford, etc.? I'm especially interested in examples of 'Leclerc', 'Parisien', and named English damascus patterns. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ron,

I find them crawling on the leaves. Drew dissects them, names them and put 'em on the shelf. (Hmm, sounds like he does all the work.)

Any insights you can offer from Oscar's research or your own are most welcome. Because of his great effort, I think we have made some progress.

My Rosetta stone is different than Drew's. I keep looking for the 1st documented maker who was assembling billets to control the final product. I think it is 6 to 5 that it occurred in Liege or St Etienne, but have no hard data at this time.

There is still more to come about the Islamic and Hindu origins...

Pete

PeteM #69682 12/04/07 12:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I should add the following information. We know that in 1771 Jean Jacques Perret published "L'Art du Coutelier". In it he describes the process of twisting ribbons. Many of the tools shown resemble what is later seen in the damascus barrel shops. There is a partial English translation at:
http://damascus.free.fr/f_damas/f_hist/perret.htm

There is no indication that he was able to control the look of the final product.

Also, Verhoeven and Pendray have recreated the process of recreating damascus blades. This is very similar to the work of Manfred Sasche. Here is an article that they published some years ago. Interesting microscopic picture is included in the article.
http://www.mse.iastate.edu/fileadmin/www.mse.iastate.edu/static/files/verhoeven/muse.pdf

Pete

PeteM #70768 12/10/07 02:04 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I keep hearing about the magic of horsenails. Ask why they were used and all sorts of replies come back. Perhaps this tells a bit of the story.

Pete

Page 45 of 55 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.