May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ted Schefelbein, Karl Graebner), 525 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#7074 10/04/06 05:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A part of my post was in reply to your statement that you had been building double rifles for only four years. I will certainly agree that dropping a sleeve down a shotgun barrel does not make a double rifle. I am sure you did not interpret anything in my post that would indicate that it did. I am in full agreement that shotgun conversions to double rifles are a more complicated venture. I would not agree, however, that a Baikal is a "well built action." Stout, perhaps, but not well built. I still don't understand how you can just look at this photo and say you "have questions" whether the action will take the pressure load. If it should prove to be a Sauer, and checks out otherwise, I would have little doubt that it will. There are many Belgian guns that also would be suitable, IMO. At any rate, good luck with your business of converting Baikals to double rifles. I am pretty sure there are customers enough to go around for you and for the other smith mentioned above.

#7075 10/04/06 07:43 PM

Amazing. Did no one read the link? The hammergun is a Webley & Scott. Not Belgian, not German, not cheap.

"Dropping a sleeve down a shotgun barrel does not make a double rifle." Correct, it's a shot gun. Trying to convert it to a double rifle does not result in a double rifle - it results in a geehawed shotgun.

One thing is for sure, I'd have a lot more confidence in that old Webley than I would a Baikal.
------------------------------------------------------

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
#7076 10/04/06 08:21 PM

I have always been concerned about shotguns that are converted to rifles. I have a Merkel SXS double rifle made on a 20ga size frame, when I put the stocked action (no barrels, forarm) on a scale it weighs much more than my 20 ga Merkel shotgun frame, although I have not taken either apart to look I suspect there is a lot more reinforcing on the inside of the rifle than on the shotgun.
On another note, I understand that the price of a "brand name" double rifle can be more than some people want to pay. But I have had Merkel 141's in 9.3x74R that looked new in the box for sale at $4400. When I look at the whole package (everyone knows what a Merkel is, resale, etc) I think most people would still be better off with a name brand double than a reworked Baikal (no matter how nice it is) for almost $3000. For that matter I can get a new Antonio Zoli O/U double rifle for the same money as the Baikal....am I missing something?

#7077 10/05/06 09:44 AM

You're right Ken1. Most doubles start from a 20 ga rough forging but machining and heat treatment is different according to rifle pressures. Below is a pic of one of my B25's 12 ga action, besides that of my 9,3x74R double. Its evident that walls are thicker and the bottom is not hollowed out. Also, gas screws are installed to divert gas away in the event of a ruptured case.

André
#7078 10/07/06 09:04 PM

Nothing wrong with making double rifles on shotgun actions if a few simple principles are adhered to. Sadly, in the rush to acquire a cheap double rifle, these principles are being pushed towards the 'back burner'.

OK, the hammer-gun pictured in the first post is a Webley & Scott. This is being tossed up as some kind of rationale for sufficient strength to allow safe conversion. I couldn't find any reference to the donor guns' proof, but they all look like black powder guns to me. (the Husky is Lefacheau(sp)-opened, for goodness sake!). Even if nitro proved, they are likely to be proved as game-guns rather than pigeon-guns, and even though the W&S has a Greener cross-bolt, I wouldn't have chosen it as a donor for a nitro rifle conversion over other options.

The 'rules' for selecting a shotgun action used to be:
heavy nitro proof (European heavy proof, or UK pigeon or waterfowl proof) NOT game-gun proof;
No BP proof under any circumstances;
Third fastener, preferably Greener cross-bolt;
Generally robust features, eg heavy gun with long action bar, wide breech, etc.

Of course, if the gun is properly proved with the new barrels and load, all should be well, but without delving through every page on the Ruppelt website, I couldn't see anything obvious about proof. Buyer beware.

Don't get me wrong: personally, I reckon converted shotguns are marvellous things, having owned, shot, and hunted with a converted Greener 'Empire' in .577 Light Nitro for many years now, as most of you know. Here's a link to the original story of my experiences with that gun for the new-comers: Greener .577 story
and a couple of hunting stories:
hunting story _ another hunting story

I for one like the idea of an adfordable double rifle. If it has to be re made on a shotgun frame so be it, as long as it is done right. For years we have heard and seen conversions on Ruger Red Lables, and those with some pretty hefty cartridges. If they can be made safetly in 45-70 or even upto 45-120 or such, it seems a Great idea to me...especially if it can be done under $1000 on my gun.

Theres nothing in the lower 48 states I wouldnt feel comfortable tracking with a 45-120 or a good 45-70 for that matter. Even Taylor sings the praises of gauge rifles on soft skin game. I like most of us dreamers wont be heading to Africa any time soon; but theres something about a double rifle that makes the hunt hunt better.

Now the question is what SxS do I send him........?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.