April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (David Williamson, vern21, Mark II, Ken Nelson, 67galaxie, 1 invisible), 951 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,106
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#70243 12/07/07 09:17 AM
OP Offline

I have a few (and collecting more) field grade shotguns. Im in the process of restocking, repairing, re casing & bluing all of them. They will be sold when complete. This is not a restoration, Im not attempting to fool anyone or make them look like a factory shotgun.

I have struggled with how to price these shotguns when complete. I just dont know what the market will bear. For example. Coming up soon is a FW LC Smith with ejectors. Pistol grip english walnut stock, factory dimensions, choked m/f (IIRC), leather recoil pad, steel grip cap. Its a really nice little shotgun.

Those of you that have more experience with pricing this type of work please chime in!!! Many thanks!!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Bill, it seems in different parts of the country how some used shotguns sell.
I recently bought a 1927 Ideal Grade L.C. with ejectors, 28 " barrels mod/full good wood decent bluing. The stock had a crack from the top of the side locks to the tang on both sides. It had been repaired but the glue line is reddish. I'm sure that it could have been repaired nearly invisible with the glues we have.

I paid $500.00 and I thought that was a steal. The side locks are shinny, but the engraving is still crisp. There has been talk and documentation that some guns were sent out and had the works nichol plated.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

You may not be attempting to fool anyone, but your not doing them any great favors either. A less than restoration refurbishing adds little if any value. JMO.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW, the side locks and frame are shinny because the case color has faded and worn off.

Ole Cowboy
OP Offline

So you are saying I should leave these shotguns as they are? Broken, beat up, and rusted? The FW I mentioned above was literally a box of parts. No stock at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As long as it's not a restoration, why the factory dimensions? Why not more shootable, modern dimensions?

As for what the market will bear, you'll have to put them up on an auction website and see what they bring.

I know of a factory refinished field grade NID 12ga that's been sitting in a shop for several months now priced at $1300. Gun is stamped "R" which Walt tells me was Ithaca's stamp for "redone". Looks like a 98% gun with case color, wood and blue all near perfect.

These guns will sell as shooters but not collectors.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, I have two comments but am not a restorer or upgrader. Recently got a 1937 NID 12 field. Even W. Snyder, who has plenty of experience to know, said the gun had 75% case color. The breech wall still had bright color and the firing pins were as round and full as globes. But. . . , however little use the gun had, previous owner apparently decided he needed a stock scrub and refinish and thoroughly radiused or dubbed over the stock head panels in the process. Somewhat more careful about the wood to metal and wood to pad. Gun must have been (and probably is) pretty much the most that we can expect in a field grade as the owner had it consigned at just shy of 1K and took a bit less. If it had been a Fox (graded or Sterlingworth) and someone had carved out a strait-hand stock for it, I wouldn't have been surprised at 17-2100 asking. I think a lot of Johnny-come-yesterdays (I am nearly one myself) are buying the name in lower grade, revised condition and I don't think the "name" in the lower grades is Ithaca or Elsie. But it could be soon if we don't go "unleaded" and interest is maintained. Lot of "if"s! I doubt you can expect cosmetic revision to part the knowledgable from their money. First-time buyers--probably. Look at the refurb catastrophes instigated by Mr. Good. They apparently sell for more than he gave. As "remachinable" raw material in the hands of S. D. Hughes, maybe the sky's the limit.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW,
That gun is not nickel plated. Nickel plating is very yellow and easily identified. I have one that looks identical, Ideal grade and same shiny finish. Note the grayness of the metal. Look at a modern K80 Krieghoff standard grade. That's nickel plating. Very yellow. Nickel does not have to be satin like a K80, it can be polished as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, I do what you are doing all the time. Saving an old gun from certain death. I use the 50% of book rule of thumb. Everybody says that when you re-anything on an old gun it automatically makes it a 50% gun. So I take 10% -20% guns and make them 50% guns. I sell them as shooters of course and the new owners know that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bill Soverns
So you are saying I should leave these shotguns as they are? Broken, beat up, and rusted? The FW I mentioned above was literally a box of parts. No stock at all.

You ask about value. I'm just saying that the cost of the refurbish is more than the gain in value(money wise) of the gun. A "GOOD" refurbish to bring an old gun back to service is a good thing. It just doesn't mean that the gun is worth a lot more money.

Ole Cowboy
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.