April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, CJ Dawe, graybeardtmm3, Bill Graham, Stanton Hillis, susjwp), 431 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,213
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a question, but does the artical by D. Travallion and Mike Stumbo in Shooting Sportsman have any relavance in this discussion. I like the writing but wonder about their thought of the breech face being the point from which to ballance a shotgun.
Best,
Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman,
I have tried to PM you but I can't get through.Missed your Spinner at The Vintagers.
Do you have any photographs and an explaination?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

2 Piper & Rocketman, My email box seems to be filling with questions about this Balance subject! I have to admit I dont think I read the orig. post. Is there a way I could find it? Question...would the fact that a orig. 6lb8oz British Game Gun has had a 9oz Mercury Filled Recoil Reducer Installed to the Stock, Lose its "Pointability"..Client's Question not mine! cc/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

XC - the recoil reducer will increase the gun's weigh, move its balance rearward (closer to the trigger), and increase both mounted and unmounted swing efforts. It should not affect stock fit, gripping area characteristics, aesthetics, or maker's name. Only your client will know if the gun has lost "pointability," because only your client knows exactly what "pointability" means to him. I'd guess that he is subjectively combining weight, balance and swings, with swing effort the big hitter.

What I can do is give you the following estimation of objective changes. Starting with an average game gun of 14 1/2" LOP, 6 1/2#. 4 1/2" balance, unmounted swing of 1.45, and mounted swing of 6.4. Adding the 9 oz reducer (assuming it has its balance point 3" forward of the butt, the gun now weighs 7# 1oz, the balance moves rearward to 3 1/8", the unmounted swing goes up to 1.73, and the mounted swing goes up to 6.46 (trivial amount). Except for the mounted swing, these are quite noticable amounts of change; weight up 10%, balance rearward 31%, and unmounted swing effort up 19%. Definitely take more muscle or more time to change where this gun points.

Does that answer your client's question? Additional questions?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Photo of the MOI machine. Bob weight on far left is hung over a table edge and drives the turntable with constant torque. A reed switch and magnet are set to trigger the stop watch as soon as the table starts to turn and to stop the watch on one revolution. MOI values are calibrated to time via bars of metal of known MOI.

Last edited by Rocketman; 11/30/07 03:37 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

RM. Thanks for reply. Montana, Thanks also. RM Now I remember you & and your'H G Wells'Time Machine at SandiKnowna' We all gathered at the Shooting Sportspeople's Booth. You 'Span...Spun..Spinned??? My Gun in the White....I even had your Machine here at The MoPM. Vic Ventors was trying to explain the "Principle of MOi". McIntosh & self have just been talking to a'Curious Reader"....I have his 11 lb Westley Richards .450 Nitro DB.He ask's' Have you evaluated a Rifle of this'Magnitude'?? I have increased the length with a 3/4" ebony L/P.and a 3/4" Kick-ezz'Padand Installed a "Merc" Recoil Reducer. It points like a shotgun,Recoil, about that of a 30-30. Have yet to find the POB'(Ran out of Ammo, Fired 11rds)Most Interested in this subject now!!!! cc/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, the memory does come back with a bit of a jog.

This should get you in the ball park: Alex Henry Double Rifle BLE .475 #2 NE - bbls = 25.25", LOP = 14 3/4", weight = 11# 4 oz, balance to trigger = 5 3/4", unmounted swing effort = 2.49, mounted swing effort = 12.70. Balance and unmounted swing is much like a target/fowler shotgun of 7 1/2# to 8 1/2#. The mounted swing is a bit higher due to the weight. However, the DR's that I have are not at all ponderous, as many assume they would be.

Does this help a'Curious Reader".... sufficiently? Additional questions?

Gee, just when I was thinking about approaching you to restock my Brit double I learn that you string 'em up with a piece of crappy ole twine. Oh my God.
npm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman,
Thank you for the insight.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.