March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6778 03/03/05 10:31 AM
David Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know we have discussed this before, sorry for the repitition. I posted this question over on the main gunshop forum. I have a need to be able to shoot slugs. I have just about decided to carry my BSS loaded with slugs. My gun is choked IC and Mod. Will it harm my gun to shoot slugs through the modified barrel? What are the best choices in slugs for dangerous game defense? I need good technical answers rather than opinions. I am most interested in hearing from those of you who have fired slugs from their own guns and/or carry slugs while bird hunting in Grizz/Brown Bear country. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
David

#6779 03/03/05 06:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've killed a number of deer with my side by side rifled 12 bore shooting the 1 1/4 ounce Lightfield Slugs, which is what I regulated the gun with, when I built it. These are very accurate and kill like the Hammer of Thor. However, for big bears, I would recommend The Terminator hardened slugs, built in Tennessee, I think. Google up Terminator Slugs and I'm sure that you will find his site. Very knowledgeable, no BS guy too!

#6780 03/06/05 10:10 PM

Hello from Dixie Slugs......Yes, there is a growing interest in modern shotgun slugs, especially in those designed for rifled barrels. It is slowly dawning on shooters that a shotgun with a rifled barrel is really a big bore rifle on a shotgum frame.
There are two groups of slug shooters today....those that are forced to hunt with shotguns (smoothbore or rifled barrels) and a second group that had come to realize just how powerful the rifled barrel came be with full size hard cast heat tempered slugs in rifled bores. This second group is interested most in the guns use against dangerous/large game in heavy cover.
It is this second group that deals with Dixie Slugs the most.
We also have a slug developed for smoothbores called the Predator and unlike the soft lead swaged factory slugs....it is also hand cast from a hard alloy and heat treated. The biggest complaint we have gotten from users of the basic Foster type slug is severe leading. We also found whille testing Foster type slugs that most had the filler wads blown into the base. To stop this on our hollow base slug, we insert a pure wool wad into the base.
All in All.....with the proper loaded 12 bore,one is not underguuned for about anything!Thank you for your interest in Dixie Slugs......James

Dixie Slugs - Home of the Original Terminator
#6781 03/08/05 03:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ron, tell us about the 12 bore rifle you built, photos etc.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

#6782 03/09/05 11:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Brian, real good to hear from you again. I got the bug, about 10 years ago, to build myself a double rifle, since, unless I win a lottery, I'll never be able to afford to buy one. I came across a pretty high-grade Belgian gun, which had been fired with a barrel obstruction and badly bulged the tube. The owner cut the barrels off at about 14", then, realizing that he had created a no-no, he hid it away in a closet for 40 years. I bought the gun for a song. It has double under bites, a Greener cross-bolt, side clips, Prince of Wales grip, double triggers, Deeley & Edge forearm release, etc. Because this was my first attempt, and because I had concerns about pressures, I decided to build a 12 gauge rifle. I was able to purchase two Hastings, 1 1/2" blanks (you could still get them at that time), turned them to profile, and sleeved them into the monoblock that I created from the original barrel assembly.Then filed up spacer blocks to fit between the barrels, and soldered them and the ribs on. It took me almost a year, and a couple of hundred dollars worth of Lightfield slugs, and god knows how many trips back and forth to the range, and umpteen solder/unsolder jobs, untill I got it regulated. Now, off the bench, with the shallow "V" express rear, and the folding night sight front, it will put 2 lefts, and 2 rights, into 2 inches at 65 yards. The very first shot that I fired with this gun at game, was at a small buck in a hayfield at 87 paces. I was prone, and the shot took him through the lungs and dropped him in his teacks. I dressed him, tagged him, and went on to my stand. 20 minutes later, another walked out into the same field and I dropped him at about 45 yards. Needless to say. I like the gun a whole bunch and have killed 4 more deer with it since.
I'll see if I can get my son-in-law, the computer whizard, over here on the weekend with his digital camera, to post some pics of the gun.
In the meantime, keep your head down, and if you're a shooter, shoot straight. Not a day goes by that I don't think about you folks! Damned dangerous place you folks are in and many of the natives are such barbarians, I sometimes wonder if any of them are worth the effort.

#6783 03/10/05 12:02 PM

Seems like a great job you did. I was trying to convince myself and go forward with a project like that, but I still have many concerns... Anyway, post the pictures. I would like to see your creation.

#6784 03/27/05 07:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian,

Sorry for the delay but as promised here are some photos of the 12 bore double rifle I built a few years back.

#6785 03/27/05 07:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pic 2

#6786 03/27/05 07:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pic 3 and 4

#6787 03/27/05 07:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pic 5,6 and 7

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.