April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (Hoot4570, dblgnfix, Hugh Lomas, 4 invisible), 222 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,709
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I'm looking for some source material for specific rifling questions. I want to have some barrels custom made and am interested in the depth of rifling for both round ball and for sabots. Additionally I'm interested in the width and number of groves for each. These will be 12 bore barrels. I think I can come up with some twist info. Right now I'm leaning towards a 1 in 34 for sabots and a 1 in 60 for round ball. Any comments greatly appreciated. Come on you guys with the 12 bore rifles, help me decide what is required to get these things to shoot. Thanks in advance,
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns

Hello Steve......Give Gregg an email at Gksappington@aol.com and tell him James at Dixie slugs told you to contact him. He is part of Dixie Slugs and is very up to date in what you need to know. He is also involved with custom 12 bore barrels.......James

Dixie Slugs - Home of the Original Terminator
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

James,
Thanks for the lead.....
Steve

Here for the meltdowns

I just signed up for the board. I see James is here. I am trying to get some people toether right now to get a run of 12 gauge custom barrels.I currently have a 1 in 84 twist barrel being fitted, I hope to fire it next week. The land diameter will be .719", and the rest of the specs are up to you. Rate of twist, rifling depth, number of grooves/lands, and possibly gain twist. Let me know roughly what you are looking for, and I will talk to the maker about it. Greg S

SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Greg,
are these cut rifle barrels, button or hammer forged? Are different profiles availible or do they only come as blanks? any possiblity of ratchet rifling ala forsberry and paradox style?
Steve

Here for the meltdowns

The barrels are cut rifled with flat bottomed grooves in 4140 or 4150 material. I do know someone who can do cut rifled 8 grooves and lands. His barrels are of a radiused land type with wide grooves, and narrow lands. He made 2 baeels for me, one in his material, and one in mine. He uses 12L17 leaded steel, which is strong enough, and finishes like a mirror after rifling. My material was 4140 Resulpherized for a modern breechloader, and harder to rifle. Due to this additional hardness it does not have as smooth a finish. It needs to be lapped by hand. Either material will last a long time, it is up to you what you would want. I personally overuild my guns, but that is just me. The maker tells me that he has never see, one of the 12L17 barrels worn out with proper care in a Muzzleloader or shotgun. If you go with the 12L17 steel, and the 8 groove barrel, I probably could get it done for $175 or so. Let me know, and I will help get it done.

If you want rachet rifling or special profiles, it will cost alot. I asked several maker about it before, and was told that it would cost over $1000 just for the tooling. Then we would have to order 20 or more barrels. The deal I am working on know Hinges on getting a minimum of 6 barrels, preferaby 12 together for a run. He told he that his standard profile rifling would cost about $275-300 per blank.

I have to procure the blanks for him, or the cost would be even higher. There are very few people who can do this kind of work left. Some are not interested without signing a contract for a guaranteed number of barrels to offset the investment.

I can sent you a few slugs pushed through my barrels if you like, so you can see the profile of what is available. The only one I could not show you would be the run i am trying to set up with equal lands and groves from 8-16. Greg

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.