March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Marc Ret, Little Creek, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you pwm for the nomenclature. Now I know I have a buechsflinte. How do you say "percussion" in German?

Carl I measure about one turn in 27" so I think the rifle will do well with Minies. I don't think I will load a roundball in the smoothbore, but if I do would a .56 be about right if a greased linen patch is used?

pwm Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perkussionszündung-percussion priming

Hal, you're correct that 1:27 is too fast for a RB. Minie it is!

.56 RB should work for the smoothbore. Just select the right thickness of patch to give a snug fit without requiring a posthole digger to seat the round.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK a perkussionszündung buechsflinte it is!

Off the muzzleloading bbs I read that MCM lube from North East Trading works great on Minie bullets and I will try that. What is the recommended lube for patches for the roundball?
How do Minies perform if loaded unpatched in a smoothbore? And will 28 ga shotcups slide down a .58 barrel?

Sidelock
Sidelock

wow! thanks for the German lesson....i have a flintendrilling [a triple barrel 12 gauge] and didn't know what to call it...jokingly it was called a 'trilling'; wish i had a vierling, should have gotten one years ago when they were more reasonably priced!

cable
pwm Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

dont think a Vierling is common here, I have never had such a gun in my hands.

Sidelock
Sidelock

rare everywhere, and very pricey, like this one:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976453162.htm

cable
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal,
How much does the piece weigh?
I just like the way the germans manage to put multiple barrels on things and keep the pounds down.

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Sidelock
Sidelock

usually quite similar to a good side by side 7.5 to 8.5 pounds; each barrel can be thinned considerably past the chamber, as they reinforce one another giving more than enough rigidity, so aren't usually excessively heavy. some lightweight 'dural' drillings barely weigh over 6 pounds.

cable
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Will try and remember to weigh when I get it back together. Would you guess these early percussion guns used wood or metal ramrods?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.