March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (JDH, JayCee, SKB, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#6691 01/22/05 06:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

A Bockbüchsflinte according to the kind fellow at Heym. My percussion is (L).58 smoothbore x (R).58 rifled.
Were these used mostly for big game with a conical in the rifle and a ball in the smooth, or was the latter usually used as a shotgun?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry should have titled it simply sxs rifle/shotgun

pwm Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

it was used mostly as a bockbüchsflinte with a shotload and a bullet because the hunter never know what game comes in his way. the roundball comes in the shotgun barrel when it goes only on big game like in in a "Treiben" where only gig game was allow to shot.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks pwm. I plan on using an expanding-base Minie (whatever weight shoots best) in the rifle during our blackpowder deer season while keeping a load of lead or bismuth shot in the left barrel for the odd grouse, gray partridge or pheasant that may appear.

pwm Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

good to hear that it dont end as a wall hanger

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its so nice and light weight and very well made that I must try it. Its by a maker in Dresden named Janeck. I don't want to pound it hard, so will "proof" the rifle barrel with about 80 gr ffG and a 420 gr Minie and then find a load with less powder and hopefully good enough accuracy at 50m to bag a deer. I will try and find Minies of different weights to try. The rifle barrel has "Pr" or "Pv" over "47" and I wonder if that dates the barrel? Likely not, as I read that vented nipples, that this gun has, were obsolete by 1830.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Bockbuchsflinte is an over/under combination gun. A side-by-side is just a Buchsflinte.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks cheapskate. I asked a fellow at Heym about this, but got no reply.

pwm Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, I dont know that this was in question. yes an over/under is a Bockbuechsflinte, it means the over barrel is "aufgebockt". "Buechse" is your rifle, rifle comes from the german word "geriffelt" and means the grooves. "Flinte" is the shotgun and comes from the 18.century flintlock muskets.
german language lesson 1

drilling-2 shotgun barrels 1 rifle barrel
doppelbuechsdrilling- 2 rifle barrels 1 shotgun barrel
flintendrilling 3 shotgun barrels
doppelflinte 2 shotgun barrels
doppelbuechse 2 rifle barrels
buechsflinte- sxs rifle and shotgun barrels
bergstutzen-most time over/under big and small rifle barrel
bockdoppelflinte o/u shotgun barrels
bockdoppelbuechse o/u rifle barrels
bockbuechsflinte o/u rifle and shotgun barrel
vierling- 4 barrels of any combination you like
waldlaeufer- drilling with a rifle barrel over the shotgun sxs barrels

Hal, what is the rate of twist? I'm thinking that a rifle of that vintage might have been meant for round ball use, so if the twist is slower than about 1:48 I'd try a patched RB first. A .58 RB will blow right through a whitetail at 50m, as you know - and a 1:72 twist won't stabilize a conical too well.

Let us know how you do!

I love the smell of sulfur in the morning - it smells like . . . well, like rotten eggs actually. :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.