March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian Forrester), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

This whole thread makes me suspect that Alfred Worrest is responsible for the Philadelphia Single Trigger ads...but Lancaster Pa, where Worrest was from, is about 70mi. from Philladelphia. The part that doesn't make sense with this theory, is #1. There is (so far) no registered design at the US Patent Office that matches the detailed pics that Researcher has posted. and #2. Worrest had already been issued patent numbers 829,453 and 871,550 by 1907 and niether look like the ad photo.

Did Worrest also have patents that were applied for but were never granted (perhaps because of Thorneley's design)? Whatever the case, this is a very interesting chapter of doublegun history in America. What year did Fox move from Baltimore to Philadelphia, 1902.? I assume the skilled human resources were already in Philadelphia when Ansley relocated there, but who? Where they old timers left from the previous generation of gunmakers in Philadelphia (muzzleloading era)? Maybe Heysinger, Skerl, Rupertus, or Clark? Was Genez from Philadelphia?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ansley moved to Philadelphia in 1902 while he was a professional shooter for Winchester. On November 5, 1902, he incorporated Philadelphia Arms Co. August 1903 contracts were let for construction of the factory at North 18th Street and Windrim Avenue. By mid-1904 they were showing guns to the trade. December 1904 Ansley resigned from Philadelphia Arms Co., bought a lot of machinery and jigs at the receivers sale of Baltimore Arms Co., and set up the A.H. Fox Gun Co. a few blocks away from Philadelphia Arms Co. at the corner of Wayne and Bristol. All the magazine ads I've ever found for Philadelphia Arms Co. were from January to July 1905. A.H. Fox Gun Co. began advertising in mid-December 1905. About November 1906 the A.H. Fox Gun Co. bought out Philadelphia Arms Co. and moved into the factory at North 18th and Windrim. That area of Philadelphia where these Gun Companies were was known as Germantown. Didn't see any folks that looked to be of German descent when I visited the area and took pictures of the old factory building and Ansley's house in 1986.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are the Philadelphia Single Trigger ads lost to the Photobucket hostage taking of our pics.

December 15, 1906 --

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

February 9, 1907 --

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Researcher; 01/26/23 12:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks nice but unfortunately it's not the same as mine. It may be a variation, but this trigger assembly works with a safety switch whereas mine is a pigeon gun...no safety. Thanks researcher.
Carl

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.