March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (playing hooky, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Appropriate fit of bullet to bore.

I'm looking for someone with experience shooting lead conicals in muzzleloading double rifles. I have a Lang double in 18 gauge (about .635" across the lands). The barrels' twist rate is about 48-50" suggesting that it would shoot conicals well.

To do this I need to have a mold and bump die made to produce a bullet that will be small enough to load but large enough not to shift in the second barrel when the first barrel is fired.

So, can anyone give me first hand knowledge of bullet/land-diameter tolerances? I would greatly appreciate any data that you can provide.

Thanks,
Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD; Using Greenhill's formula for twist as L=150D²/T then you should be good for a bullet of around 1.2" long, which would be quite heavy in .635dia I suspect. You might check with your local Library & see if they have a copy of Ned Robert's "The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle". I heve read this yrs ago, & while it mostly deals with rifles of around .45 cal as I recall, it did deal a lot more with conicals than round ball guns. Might find something useful in it.
Miller

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by BrentD:
2-piper,
thanks, I have many bullet length calculators including the Greenhill which generally uses a smaller constant for lead bullets in bp rifles. But length is not my worry. It is diameter. I want to be able to fit the darn bullet down the bore w/o mashing my hand or the bullet nose with the starter. At the same time, I don't want it so loose that the bullet in the second barrel slides forward when the first barrel is fired. Diameter is the problem. Length, I can handle and it looks like around 1" long would be about right.

I've got two copies of Ned's book. Great book but nothing there on double rifles and bullet diameter.

Brent

_________

pwm Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

as I understand your problem your only chance is a patched bullet. when we think you set the powderload, a wad, say something from cycleflywads, and the bullet. the bullet, if it be a conical minie can't realy work with a wad over the powdercharge. A fullsize conical isn't practical to load but a short undersize conical bullet with the rigth patcht is the technical solution for this problem.I believe a patched bullet will allways stand the force of the first shot in a double.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

pwm,
patched balls, I have used. They are accurate but require very small charges - like 45 grs of 1.5 fg. Anything more than that and they fly wild. Really wild. The light loads do not regulate to the sights - three-leaf express sights marked 100, 150, 200.

I am certain that the rifle can shoot flat based conicals. Pedersoli doubles are made to do this in .54 and .58 caliber and probably others. These two caliber are made with faster twist barrels for conicals while their .72 cal double is made slow twist for roundball only.

I may find that I need a felt or card wad under the bullet. No problem there. I think a circle fly wad would be a bit overkill but it might work too.

I think a patched conical is really not the way to go with the potential exception of a Paper Patched Bullet . Those happen to be the bullets nearest and dearest to my heart, but they are not appropriate for this rifle, of that I'm certain. Ol' Joseph Lang could tell me what I do need, but darned if he ain't been dead for 150 yrs or so and he forgot to write the loading formula under the lock plate like he was supposed to.

My current thinking is the .630" Westly Richards bullet from NEI made w/o the hollow point

I would probably have to have a bump die made to size this bullet up to .635" or .636" or so. That's what I'm trying to figure out right now.

Brent

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, these folks can probably furnish what you need. http://www.mountainmolds.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Brent.

Have you thought about having a mold cut with a wide forward driving band similar to what TC does with their maxi bullet? I would think that a .150 band .003-.005 over bore would be easy enough to start but would keep it down there regardless. That in conjunction with a well lubed bullet should be ok.
One other option comes from the folks who shoot slug rifles. Some of the molds I have seen have a bullet base rebated for a cloth patch. As strange as it looks, they seem to shoot very well, although patches would be another thing to carry along.

BTW, where did you get the info on Pedersoli's 12 bore and twist info? I have another post regarding this.

Still curious about that.

Good shooting

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tom,
Thanks for the information and ideas. I have not shot a Maxiball in a long long time, and have forgotten, if I ever knew, that the front band was larger in diameter. That's a great idea though.

Slug gun shooters - all that I know - are required to shoot paper patched bullets by NMLRA regulations. I shoot a bullet rifle that uses .45 paper patch bullets that are essentially identical to these bullets in so far as bore fit goes. I'm not sure how well ideas translate to large bore double rifles however.

The twist rates on the Pedersoli rifles I lifted from Dixie Gun Works website.

Brent

_________

Friends All......My friend Abe in Alaska has been shooting/hunting with Dixie Terminator in his Pedersoli ML double for some time. I just sent him some of the new Xterminator slugs. Both are cast from pure lead for him.
Gloria Ardesi just sent me the specs on their ML double.......724" on the lands and .732" in the grooves.
As posted.....Our Terminator and Xterminator are both 3", but we have Talon load in 2 3/4"
As for bullet alloy.....94% lead, 3% antimony, 3% tin. This, heat treated, gives about the same hardness of the original Paradox that was hardened with arsenic. Both the Terminator and Xterminator weigh 730/735 grs (depending on the metal).....James@Dixie Slugs

Dixie Slugs - Home of the Original Terminator

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.