May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fudd, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 826 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,724
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Rocketman: The rifle barrel (of which I made a chamber cast) is stamped 52. The shotgun barrels are stamped 15. As I said, the .45-70 barrel is very accurate and case dimensions remain the same after firing. I suppose it could have been rechambered at some point but I'd be surprised - everything just seems correct.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In Seller's "American Gunsmiths" he list "Samuel Buckley & Co." as the trade name of J. Palmer O'Neil of Pittsburgh, Penn 1882-1885, Breech-loading shotguns.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

MP, the O'neil company also imported Westley Richards guns with Pittsburgh Firearms Co. on them in the early 1880s. I don't think the two Buckley names are related , at least timewise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
MP, the O'neil company also imported Westley Richards guns with Pittsburgh Firearms Co. on them in the early 1880s. I don't think the two Buckley names are related , at least timewise.

Daryl,

I have nothing on Henry Buckley, Birmingham and likewise see no connection.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

The history of the Birmingham Proof House details serious problems with administration of the proof act of 1855. In 1868 a new act passed into law. One purpose of this act was to,"curb the authority of the proof master"! Under the provisions of the new act, magistrates and city councillors were appointed/elected to serve as guardians of the proof house. Samuel Buckley was a magistrate or councillor serving on the board of guardians. It is very unlikely that he was ever in business as a Bimingham gunmaker. On december 31 1868 Samuel buckley was appointed chairman of the Guardians.
Samuel Buckley obviously had excellent connections within the Birmingham gun trade. It is almost certain that he established the business of, Samuel Buuckley and Co; in Detroit, for the purpose of selling Birmingham made guns.Per my earlier post, William Powell of Birmingham made at least 5 guns for Samuel Buckley & Co; Detroit.This fact is recorded in Powells records.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roy, thanks for the good history. I wish I could wander the streets of the gunmaking areas and find someone who could answer questions. These old guns seem to have a story to tell. Maybe we can hear the story if we all keep at it. Powell had a really neat history. I especially like their hammer guns around 1855-75. Wonderful metal work and they were in the forefront of patents for the developing breechloaders.

Sidelock
Sidelock

DH - one of the keys to hearing these stories is to keep showing interesting guns and asking intersting questions. Thanks for this thread!! Pooled knowledge is a wonderous thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy, thanks for the good history. I wish I could wander the streets of the gunmaking areas and find someone who could answer questions. These old guns seem to have a story to tell. Maybe we can hear the story if we all keep at it. Powell had a really neat history. I especially like their hammer guns around 1855-75. Wonderful metal work and they were in the forefront of patents for the developing breechloaders.

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
DH - one of the keys to hearing these stories is to keep showing interesting guns and asking intersting questions. Thanks for this thread!! Pooled knowledge is a wonderous thing.

I have often thought of spending time in Belgium and England looking for more information. Some times you can share small bits of knowledge, but mostly you have to be able to listen and learn. For me, there is still so much to learn. Thanks Daryl, Roy, Micheal, Rocketman, James-l, et al.

Roy, you are always a well of information.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's a final photo of the Buckley. The elaborate forend tip apparently was not strong enough to last the hundred plus years of use. Wish I could have seen the whole thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wish I could wander the streets of the gunmaking areas and find someone who could answer questions.

Daryl,
No offense to Messrs. Powell and the remnants of the trade in B'ham, but having gone there every month on (non-gun) business last year I must admit that I learn more by spending an hour on this board than I did in all those trips!
K.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.