May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (jake van dyke, Jimmy W, old colonel, ClapperZapper, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 508 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,441
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I am going to buy a Beretta A400 Upland 28ga with 3" chamber to use as my duck gun until my shoulder heals from rotator cuff surgery (if it ever gets back to normal). These guns all have the Xtra Wood finish, which is "real" wood, but enhanced with lasers and who knows what else. It looks good, but the finish is matte with very open pores, so I'd like to add something to the wood to make it a little easier to keep clean after days in the blind. Anyone here have experience working with the Xtra Wood? I'd like to rub something on or in without any sanding, because I don't know how deep the factory faux finsih is. Suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first thoughts were if it ant broke dont fix it, then dont take the lid off it is full of worms and leave well alone. Then what would I do? I came to two practical ways that are plausible. First and simplest apply Carnuba wax polish using many coats. The other would be to use a melamine sealer using a traditional French polishing rubber to apply a coat extremely thinly, hopefully eventually filling the pores. This method could be totally reversible if you uses a shellac based grain filler and polish using Alcohol to remove them if it does not look good enough. Though my first thoughts are I feel still the best.

Good luck what ever you decide to do

Ernie.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless they have changed the whole process that is not a correct description. I remember reading a couple of detailed articles when they were released years ago. Must have been 25 years or more. Beretta at that time described the system as an inner core of plain stable beechwood or something. Over this was placed a thick printed plastic "sock" for want of a better word. This was shrink wrapped and bonded to the wood. I examined several and they had the finished look you mentioned. I also saw several people show up at the gun club proudly showing the amazing wood on their new budget priced Beretta. All were eventually taken aside by someone who explained their gun to them. None were pleased.

I haven't looked at one or even heard about them in years, but unless the have totally changed the process I doubt there is anything you can really do with them. You mentioned lasers and I seem to remember that the design was lasered printed onto the stock.

I would do some more research before planning anything.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Boxlock
Boxlock

Beretta used to have two different processes to enhance the woodgrain.

One was called X-tra-grain which is what the OP is describing with the laser enhancements.

The other was called X-tra-wood which some kind of hardwood with the film overlay which makes it look like exhibition grade walnut. I don't know what they are doing nowadays, but that is what I found 10-15 years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you only want moisture/grime control any good paste wax will do. Not going to gain any ground improving the unimprovable.

Chief

1 member likes this: Jimmy W
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Sun Dog
Beretta used to have two different processes to enhance the woodgrain.

One was called X-tra-grain which is what the OP is describing with the laser enhancements.

The other was called X-tra-wood which some kind of hardwood with the film overlay which makes it look like exhibition grade walnut. I don't know what they are doing nowadays, but that is what I found 10-15 years ago.

The original post mentioned ExtraWood, so that's what I was basing the response on. I had never heard of the ExtraGrain.

They all kind of reminded me of the plastic stocked single shot shotguns of the 50's and 60's.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Yeah. Amazing what those old Remington Nylon 66 rifles sell for now.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

When I looked at the local showroom guns a few weeks ago, I did not see any markings indicating XtraWood vs XtraGrain. So I called Beretta USA customer service and tech support. Of course they had no idea which treatment is on those guns. Then I called Joel Etchen and they told me it is XtraGrain (laser burned and dye enhanced), with an oil finish. I'll probably try rubbing in some oil and then waxing over that. The open pores on the factory finish are going to be mud magnets if I don't do anything. Thanks for the replies.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Sun Dog
Yeah. Amazing what those old Remington Nylon 66 rifles sell for now.
I saw one Saturday morning with a scope for $500.00. It was pretty rough. I have one in like new condition- black with chrome. I've had it since they came out.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

No idea about the autos and XtraGrain, but all the XtraWood O/U's I have ever seen had a different Grip cap that identified them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.