Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#645197 04/03/24 09:14 PM
tanky Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've bought these tools since I was in high school in the 70's. I bought them from Brownells. Then I guess about 10 years ago or so Brownells still listed them but they where always out of stock. So I looked up where they where made and got their website as DemBartco.com. I was abele at that time to order the tools I needed but it took some time to get them. I generally checker 18 lpi or 22 lpi but now have a need for 28 lpi for a restoration project on an August Schueler 12 ga OXU. That's what the gun came with so I would like to keep it in original form. I've read on some other forums where people have had a terrible time dealing with them. Things like excessive time filling orders or just not answering the phone. Their website now takes you to a website designer instead of DemBarts website. I have not tried calling the number I have for them yet. We may have some members that live in Washington state near them. My question is are they still in business? I understand that it is probably a small operation and the demand for hand checkering tools is probably not what it use to be with all the plastic guns out there. Also the use of power checkering tools. I would like a power checkering tool but the price doesn't justify the few stocks per year I checker. The tools that I have are wearing out so there is a need for replacement cutters. Any one have any recent dealings with them?

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Boxlock
Boxlock

There are a number of items for sale on EBAY. That may be an option, although I am not sure of the selection given you ae looking for some specific components.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am anxiously awaiting the answer also.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by tanky
I've bought these tools since I was in high school in the 70's. I bought them from Brownells. Then I guess about 10 years ago or so Brownells still listed them but they where always out of stock. So I looked up where they where made and got their website as DemBartco.com. I was abele at that time to order the tools I needed but it took some time to get them. I generally checker 18 lpi or 22 lpi but now have a need for 28 lpi for a restoration project on an August Schueler 12 ga OXU. That's what the gun came with so I would like to keep it in original form. I've read on some other forums where people have had a terrible time dealing with them. Things like excessive time filling orders or just not answering the phone. Their website now takes you to a website designer instead of DemBarts website. I have not tried calling the number I have for them yet. We may have some members that live in Washington state near them. My question is are they still in business? I understand that it is probably a small operation and the demand for hand checkering tools is probably not what it use to be with all the plastic guns out there. Also the use of power checkering tools. I would like a power checkering tool but the price doesn't justify the few stocks per year I checker. The tools that I have are wearing out so there is a need for replacement cutters. Any one have any recent dealings with them?

Are you aware of Steve Earle's checkering tools? I don't know if he has what you want. I suspect not, but he does make cutters for some types of checkering tools. And EVERYTHING he makes is as perfect as can be made by a human. At least, that has been my experience and the experiences of others that I know of.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: NCTarheel
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been told they are not an on going concern. They have been hit or miss for several years with a lot of people reporting issues. My last order from them, which was several years ago was such poor quality that I went back and sharpened up a couple used, worn out tool heads, just to finish a small job. The new stuff was so bad I threw it all out. I was given the following source but have not ordered from them. www.kvwoodcarvingsupplies.com I would contact them and go from there. Good luck. Jon

PM sent. Second, immediate option for what you need I think.

Last edited by KY Jon; 04/04/24 12:49 AM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I would recommend looking at Steve Earle and Michael Ullman checkering products. They both make great quality products.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Trying to find checkering cutters in 28 lpi might be pretty difficult these days unless you can locate some new old stock. Gunline's website still lists cutters for 28 lpi, but I don't know if they are actually available. And as I recall, Gunline cutters can't be used in Dem-Bart handles unless you drill them out for the larger Gunline pins.

If you're not already on a Democrat government watch list for posting on a firearms forum, this might get you there. But if you read the description in this link, this company in Saint Petersburg, Russia says they make checkering cutters, (or bits, or gouges?) from 16 lpi to 32 lpi

https://petrograd-tools.com/id/checkering-tool-set-n2-8-tools-19092.html

The Petrograd website doesn't show cutters (or bits) finer than 20 lpi, so you would have to contact them to ask about other sizes. I don't know about their quality, but their prices are quite a bit cheaper than anything available here.

Oh crap, I just checked to see what shipping from Russia might cost, and read this:

Due to the current worldwide situation, we are unable to accept bank transfers and ship our instruments outside of Russia.
We regret and hope that these are temporary difficulties, and the conflict will be resolved for the common good.

Another good reason to hope Donald Trump wins the 2024 Election! At least he might be able to settle the huge mess in Ukraine that was caused by the incompetent senile anti-gun dimwit who is squatting in the White House. But if the Democrats are able to steal another election, it is more likely we will end up in World War III, and then you won't need checkering cutters... or anything else.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ullman Precision has what you need. 28lpi

He tells me the dem-bart handles will probably work but for the price I would order one of his handles.
Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's great that you know how to do checkering. I wish I would have learned that years ago. Engraving also. So good luck. I hope you find what you need. Take care.

tanky Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for all the recommendations! I will check out some of those sources. As a tip to the guys that use these tools, I did away with the stupid pin(nail) long ago. The hole in the handle and the cutter is hit and miss as to perfect line up and the cutter frequently wobbles in the handle. I just use super glue. If you want to take the cutter out just heat it with a propane torch for 2 seconds. The glue melts and you can remove it, clean it and replace it. If the Ullman cutters fit in the dem bart slot that would be great since I have a number of handles.
Keith, I have no doubt I'm on some list. I been doing this gun stuff for a long time and supporting politically incorrect politicians nearly as long. That link you posted is something I'll keep just in case this jackass administration doesn't get us blown up or in the nuclear winter. Since my wife is from Belarus she knows Russian and she could deal with them for me. But, as you said they need to lift sanctions. You know, those sanctions that where suppose to hurt Russia, and did for about one week. They hurt the USA and Europe more than Russia. The stamp is very fitting!
BrentD, never heard of Steve Earle's checkering tools. I will definitely want to check them out.
It's a shame, you get use to using one system of tools and then have to change everything this late in the game. But I'm not against quality or improvement so I'll check them out

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by tanky
BrentD, never heard of Steve Earle's checkering tools. I will definitely want to check them out.

The website is right here https://www.steveearleproducts.com/

Scroll down past all the other goodies and hold on to your wallet with both hands while you do it, lest you end up with a Wesson Long range, or a Wesson mid-range, or a Fraser action. They are the best ever made...

Then, finally, if you have a few dollars left, click on Assorted Things. smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a Word of Caution. German gun unlikely to be CKRD at 28 L.P.INCH!! more likely 0,9mm.If you had a large enough pattern you may run into an issue re-cutting at 28 lpi.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have recently purchased Dem Bart cutters from www.kvwoodcarvingsupplies.com. Once you place your order Mary will give you call for the payment info. She is great to talk to BTW. She said she had a large stock (as of January 2024) of cutters but she was unsure if she would be able to get more once these ran out. She is in Canada and i had no problems withe shipping them down to NC.

I am new to checkering so take it for what its worth, the dembart cutters do not seem to last very long. They seem to dull very quickly. I have some NOS i had ordered from ebay and some new stock i got from Mary. The older stock seem to last longer but i have not sat down and tried to do a hardness test between the NOS and new.

Ullman precision and Steve Earle make some nice cutters as well. With the gunline cutters being the same cost as Steve Earle ad Ullman, i think i would go with the latter rather than gunline.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there any way to sharpen those cutters?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dem Bart are ok ,but they in no way compare to Ullman or Steve Earles products ,take it from someone who makes a living doing this ,do yourself a favor and buy from the guys I mentioned

Last edited by CJ Dawe; 04/26/24 05:54 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I highly recommend the carbide Ullman single-line cutters and Joel Schafer's book.

Welder

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, I guess it's time I joined this conversation. Steve Earle and I are very good friends and a few years back I asked Steve if he could make checkering tips, I was having a difficult time getting Gunline tips at the time. The current Brownells cutters were not good at all! He looked at the Gunline cutters and said "sure" and started making cutters for me and the trade. He also asked about the Brownells handles so I gave him one of my Full-view handles to copy. He made some much needed changes to the basic handle and started to make them also.

I also like Michael's product and use his carbide tipped tools also. I do use Steve's spacers and single line cutters exclusively because they are great and he is a very, very good friend. Just a thought on Dembart tools and tips, I haven't used one in over fifty years and I have a collection of them that people have given me. I should just sell them because I ain't gonna use them!!! I see people asking about Dembart tools and where to get them, my thought is WHY!?

Some of you are probably wondering why I don't use and electric tool, well I had one and just didn't like it. I'm reasonably fast doing my work by hand and it keeps me busy.  

Doug Mann
1 member likes this: Cold1
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in the process of liquidating an friend's estate which has quite a few checkering tools and cutters. Most of it is new and includes a Dembart Master set and at least 2 full view handles. When I get it all sorted out, I'll put them in the classifieds or you can contact me now to speed things along.
Thanks
Phil

tanky Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BrentD, thanks for the link. I will probably buy some of his cutters. I guess the reason that many people have an interest in Dem Bart is because the cutters are cheap. I had heard that gunline was not that good so I never bothered trying them. Like I said I started buying Dem Bart in the early70's and cost was very important then since I was in HS. Cost now is not so much a determining factor as longevity and quality. I've got enough good info from you guys to formulate a clear path forward. Thanks to all!
Hugh L, the German gun I am working on came without a stock. I measured the fore end checkering and with these old eyes of mine came out to 28 LPI. I figured it would be metric and it may be a couple a thousands either way but I will not be recutting any of the old checkering. The gun now has a Bastogne walnut stock and will soon have
a new fore end. The old fore end has some cracks and missing wood so the new one will be shaped the same but a little beefier where needed.

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

This was emailed to me a couple days ago, and I was asked to pass it on to Tanky here.

Dan Wildhaber <runninforthebarn@gmail.com>
Sat, Apr 6, 9:33 AM (2 days ago)

to me

Hi Stan
I read on the forum but I'm not a registered member.
I live in Washington State and a number of years ago while in Snohomish I tried to find Dem-bart.
Where my GPS said the address was, there was a small residential lot that didn't have a house number. If memory serves me correctly there was a small building, of some sort, on the property.
(It's been a while)
I believe this business was started a generation or two ago and the business is basically offshore and the current owner or family member doesn't have much interest.
Can't remember how I came to that conclusion but I put some effort into trying to contact them as a user of their tools but didn't have any success.

I'm messaging you because Tanky's profile doesn't have an email address.
Hope this information might be helpful to you guys.
Best regards
Dan Wildhaber

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.