April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, Hammergun, 2 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gankai Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just received a side lock P. Webley SxS best gun made in 1894. It came with a firing pin that broken off at the base. After removing the disk - there were no return springs. I am having a new firing pin made but the question came up when did firing pin return springs first appear? Seems like a natural evolutionary thing but now as I think about it some of my older guns did not have them either. Seems like the tip of a pin could stick in a primer and get a bending force each time the action was opened. Seems like since hammer guns evolved to rebounding locks, you would want a return mechanism of some kind as the rebounding hammers moved internally? There must be some history and thoughts on this out there in the group that could be shared?

Rick

Last edited by Gankai; 03/28/24 09:56 PM.

Rick Hill
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have a Joseph Lang non-rebounding hammer gun with firing pin return springs. When the gun is brought to half-cock the firing pins retract. I have no idea if they were installed in 1866 or later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gankai;

I tried to send you a Private Message(PM) but your profile says that you have elected not to receive them. The reason I choose to send you a PM is that your question and subsequent statements lead me to believe that there is information about how British side locks work in regard to the cocking levers and the issues where individuals believe they have strikers (firing pins) issues when they do not. My discussion will be long and most readers here will not likely be interested in the technical discussion. If you want to discuss this send me a PM with your email address.

As to your original question. I suspect you are more interested in when did striker return springs appear in hammerless side lock guns since you are describing receiving such a gun. I have earliest know John Robertson built prototype Boss style SLE which later became the Boss classic design and it was completed on 7Aug1889. It does not have striker return springs and has no room in the action to add them. It works fine without them but the strikers must be made absolutely correct with maximum of .040" protrusion with the tumblers forward and the striker nose completely radiused, hardened and polished for the full length of the protrusion. Since you are having a striker made for you Webley SLE the person making this striker may not be acquainted with precision process of carrying this work out and fitting it to the action for trouble free working.

This Boss prototype early Chilton locks do not even have the built in anvil on the lock plate to limit the forward movement of the tumblers, I suspect your Webley does.

Kind Regards;
Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Purdey hammer gun having rebounding locks with striker return springs built in 1869,

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1 member likes this: Mark II
Sidelock
Sidelock

An 1880's (IIRC) Purdey Hammerless-Spring Assist opener.
Spring-Rebound firing pins

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

1 member likes this: earlyriser
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't forget the Scotts from the 1880 that had a slot. I have been really diggin' on this & info is most difficult to mine. I was going to start a thread upstairs but haven't gotten around to it? Do Pinfires exist with striker springs?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,
I don't think pinfires have striker springs, the pin in the cartridge is the striker.
Mike

Gankai Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had changed my preferences when I got about 100 emails/notices per day. I put them back to accept notices and emails. You are correct - I was surprised at that level of precision the firing pins/strikers were made at (for 1894). Fortunately we had an unbroken, functioning striker with .060 protrusion as well as the broken striker for comparison. There was space for a spring and they were added to both. The gun functions well now and gone through about 70 rounds of my 2 1/2 inch reloads. The primer strikes are equal and robust but not excessive.

Rick Hill
2 members like this: bushveld, BrentD, Prof

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.