April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, Replacement, Marks_21, rocky mtn bill), 1,219 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#643790 03/09/24 12:23 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

have did a limited info search using black powder in plastic hulls and wads. so far it looks like black powder burns at high temperature and causes hull and wad plastic to breakdown ect. have never reloaded with black powder and it looks like a fresh start in components and maybe even reloaders equipment may be in order. anyone out there ever run black powder thru a MEC, P-W, Spolar, or any other progressive shotshell reloader ?

1574trap #643797 03/09/24 05:07 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

THE ANSWER IS “NO, DON’T DO IT!”

Black Powder is very sensitive to ignition by static. Whilst some powder measures (such as the Lyman 55 Black Powder measure) are made without plastic parts so as to be safe to measure black powder most are not.

You do not want a bottle of black powder exploding that close to your head.

Last edited by Parabola; 03/09/24 05:08 AM.
Parabola #643801 03/09/24 08:28 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by 1574trap
have did a limited info search using black powder in plastic hulls and wads. so far it looks like black powder burns at high temperature and causes hull and wad plastic to breakdown ect. have never reloaded with black powder and it looks like a fresh start in components and maybe even reloaders equipment may be in order. anyone out there ever run black powder thru a MEC, P-W, Spolar, or any other progressive shotshell reloader ?

Yes. You can do it quite easily. However, you won't find a powder bushing that is big enough, so plan on buying a couple and then grinding them out to much larger capacities.

Fiber wads are the way to go. I've mined a lot of plastic out out of my barrels from plastic wads. Plastic hulls are not a problem, but they do get a bit toasted at the case mouth. For that reason, I rarely reload them a second time. I pick up hulls from the high school teams, usually Federal Top Gun and reload those and then toss them.

Originally Posted by Parabola
THE ANSWER IS “NO, DON’T DO IT!”

Black Powder is very sensitive to ignition by static. Whilst some powder measures (such as the Lyman 55 Black Powder measure) are made without plastic parts so as to be safe to measure black powder most are not.

You do not want a bottle of black powder exploding that close to your head.

This is another myth from the internet. Hundreds of thousands of blackpowder loads will be made this year using powder measures with plastic hoppers. Back "in the day" the Lyman 55 powder measure was made with a plastic hopper and that continues to work just as well as all the new powder measures with their plastic hoppers. Additionally, blackpowder is shipped and sold in plastic bottles today. Static electricity, of this sort, simply does not have the amperage to get the job done. Lightning bolts are another matter, so do not load in a storm while outside. smile

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gdHdnnhy5Ro

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 03/09/24 08:29 AM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1574trap #643815 03/09/24 01:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have heard that static is a concern when mixing plastic and black powder and believed that was why it was sold it in metal cans. However, Goex, Swiss, and Shuetzen are all sold in plastic containers now. I would still be concerned with forming a roll crimp on a plastic hull with a plastic crimping tool. You are correct that the heat melts the plastic hulls to a degree. Brass hulls can be purchased.

1574trap #643816 03/09/24 02:14 PM
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the Federal paper hulls for black when I can get them. I’ve loaded lots of BPCR with an RCBS powder dispenser when I was playing with Trapdoor Springfields. Then I was told I’d blow myself up using so I bought a Lyman 55 with brass reservoir. I like the RCBS better. A powder dipper is foolproof for loading shotshells.

1574trap #643820 03/09/24 03:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been using a MEC 600JR for well over 20 years. I have an auto primer feeder, plastic drop tubes and use the adjustable charge bar. It is grounded in a shallow wooden box screwed down to wooden table. And only use black powder or pyrodex. I have never seen any static electricity on any of my equipment. Have to wonder if this is all just a load of BS as I have never heard of a gun room going up in flames due to static electricity and black powder.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
1574trap #643827 03/09/24 05:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

For probably the last 20 years, real Black Powder has been sold in plastic containers.
I’ve loaded a lot of BP shotgun cartridges, over the decades, with plastic hulls.. multiple reloads.
Roll crimp and hand load with same components as my Muzzleloading SxS.

Tamid #643838 03/09/24 08:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tamid
I've been using a MEC 600JR for well over 20 years. I have an auto primer feeder, plastic drop tubes and use the adjustable charge bar. It is grounded in a shallow wooden box screwed down to wooden table. And only use black powder or pyrodex. I have never seen any static electricity on any of my equipment. Have to wonder if this is all just a load of BS as I have never heard of a gun room going up in flames due to static electricity and black powder.

Black powder in granular form will not be ignited by static electricity. It is much too coarse. However, static electricity can ignite flammable gasses, fumes, and fine dust, including both black and smokeless powder dust. OSHA requires grounding straps to be installed on drums of flammable solvents and on fireproof chemical storage lockers. I would bet that companies that load large amounts of black powder ammunition have a static electricity grounding system on their equipment, and hopefully are aware of the hazards of dust build-up over time. For the rest of us, normal precautions for handling black powder are sufficient.

https://bulkinside.com/bulk-solids-...ion-during-powder-processing-operations/

A local fireworks manufacturer had an explosion in one of his plants a number of years ago that was blamed on static electricity igniting an accumulation of fine dust. Static electricity has caused fires and explosions in paint booths, and an accumulation of static charge is said to be the cause of the hydrogen filled Hindenberg dirigible. A quick Google search will give you results for many explosions of dusts and flammable substances that were caused by static electricity. But even 4Fg priming powder is much coarser than fine dust. I just grind 2Fg or3Fg in small amounts to make priming powder for my flintlock. A plastic screwdriver handle and an old ceramic ashtray make a good non-sparking mortar and pestle. No issues so far.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: greener4me
1574trap #643865 03/10/24 11:04 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have loaded many thousands of black powder Trap loads in Federal Top Gun plastic cases. Many of our club members do the same.
We use fibre wads because plastic wads leave stringy plastic in the bore, but the hulls cause no problems for a single use and then discard them.
I use a brass measure for powder dispensing, but other operations are done on a single stage press.
Black powder Trap gets expensive at 80 grains of FFg per shot.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.