April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fudd, Argo44, ivanhoe, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 475 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,471
Posts545,151
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Originally Posted by tut
A smith I know pretty well would devote an entire week doing nothing but barrel prep. He said by the end of that week his arms were about to fall off from striking barrels. I think he did them in batches of 8. Did excellent work and fantastic polishing all by hand. I think most of what he did was fluid steel barrels. Could be wrong. He found that was the best way to do it, but indeed it was a long wait between batches. He now works for G&H.

No way I could strike barrels and polish for a week straight, my hands, shoulders and back just would not take it. I tend to prep two to four sets of barrels at a time and blue in small batches as well. I constantly have stuff heading out for engraving pick up, that dictates my bluing schedule more than anything else, thankfully my engraver is darn quick which helps keep work flowing.

Stevie, you are such a delicate little flower. I think it would help a lot if you didn't have those weak limp wrists. Actually, based upon what you have posted here in the past, it appears that the hardest part about rust bluing for you is finding someone else as a sub-contractor for the actual prep and bluing work. You have admitted to farming out a lot of the work you find too tedious, like welding, etc.

You have told us that you employed someone named Manito Lara (sp?) to do your rust bluing. And the late Doug Woodin PA24 told me personally that he laughed at you when you asked him to do your rust bluing.

I have closely followed any rust bluing Threads posted here over the years, because I often glean some useful tip or information that I didn't know or might wish to try. I've noticed you made a lot of comments that suggested to me that you were far from an expert on the subject, and probably just parroted what you read or saw in gunsmith school. This one pertaining to etching Damascus barrels was one of my favorites:

Originally Posted by SKB
Chuck,
we have been using a 14% solution for our dip, immersing the cupon for about 45 seconds. More to follow, hopefully with pics.
Steve

That was your post #76837 from this Thread:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=77129&page=1

As soon as I saw that, it was apparent that you never actually did it, or you would have soon learned how quickly a 14% ferric chloride solution at a 45 second dip (especially in mid 60's temps) would remove your blue. Battle, Chuck, and others noticed too. Chuck had earlier told us he was using about a 10% ferric chloride solution at only 10 seconds, and felt that was a bit too strong.

Originally Posted by battle
skb...........jmho, but i think thats a little long on the etch. Especally 14% strength.

Originally Posted by Chuck H
Steve,
My air temps are between 50-60F in my garage. What temps is your process being done at?

This last etch (only 10% solution) on only one rust (4th rust) took it back a bit from the picture. I think my etch needs to be weaker with my temps. Also, I think I'll go 2 rusts on this next etch.

Of course, you quickly did some backpedaling. Who was the "we" in that post Stevie? It looked to me like the person who was actually doing the work corrected you and told you he was really etching less than 10 seconds. So 45 seconds was too long??? No shit Sherlock:

Originally Posted by SKB
I started to reduce the time in the etch....45 seconds was too long. Now dipping less than 10 seconds. Shop temp is around mid 60's. Am I mistaken, I thought the total percentage of ferric chloride was suposed to be 15%, or there abouts? I took my 29% solution obtained from radio shack and cut it 1 to 1 with water, giving me 14.5%. From reading bills post above, it seems he is running about 1 part RS etch to 6 parts water....maybe I'm still too strong. I'm doing a piece of english twist with a brown and white finish now too. Pics when I get a chance.
Steve

You never did post those pics you promised. I wonder why? Don't bother now. Nobody would believe you actually did it after what you wrote. It seemed to me that you might be better off keeping busy just finding people to do your work, and refrain from making posts that reveal a lack of knowledge. As I said, I sometimes learn something from those rust bluing Threads. In that one, I learned that you don't know nearly as much as you'd like us to think. Stick to the Free Advertising, subcontracting, and maybe hire an illegal immigrant laborer who has strong arms and shoulders.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Thanks for your input Karen. If you find your big girl panties, contact me directly. As an added bonus, papa smurf frAnk might buy you that tiara you have been begging him for princess.

Call collect, I don't mind.

All my best precious.
Steve

What's this Stevie? It looks like you are "playing to the audience" with more of your personal attacks... instead of simply answering a couple simple questions.

We all can see how you used that "playing to the audience" line as a lame excuse for not answering, and then do exactly that yourself. You know how much those personal attacks make your Liberal pals cry, and how they say that behavior drives good people away from this forum. You don't want Dave to think your friends only cried about personal attacks just to silence and censor Conservatives, do you?

There is no need to play silly immature games. There is no need for me to make a collect call. (With cell phones and Nationwide free calling, I don't know of anyone who has any need to make a collect call anymore) Why would I want to call you and have you misrepresent what was said? What's your problem with answering my questions right out in the open forum? What are you afraid of?

There is no need to keep attempting to tar me or jOe with your deviant lifestyle. There is no need for me to respond privately to your multiple rude and insulting Spam PM's either. All you need to do to end my questions is tell us if you are paying Dave the $12.00 fee for each and every sale you make as a result of your tagline Free Advertising of your business ventures.

The other tagline Free Advertisers should do the same. But they are at least smart enough not to brag about the amounts they sell here:

Originally Posted by SKB
billie, you underestimate things. I imported way, way more than 4 guns for board members this shipment, by several fold.

None of you should be taking advantage of Dave by using his Forums to promote your businesses in any event. These little games you are playing are making us wonder what you all have to hide... especially when you know there is a dedicated For Sale forum for selling things here the right way. And other sellers shouldn't have to subsidize those who are Freeloaders. The rules are pretty easy. If you advertise here and sell what you advertise, you pay Dave a little $12.00 fee for each sale. On a $500 importing job, that's 2.4%, less than Colorado sales tax. If you are indeed paying Dave the $12.00 fees for each and every sale, same as others who sell things here, then just say so. If not, have the courage to admit it, and settle up.

It would be so easy to shut me up if you are paying Dave all $12.00 Sales Fees due to him for each and every sale. Do you seriously think it is better to keep looking and acting like a spoiled child that has been caught with his/her hand in the cookie jar?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: SKB
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm done responding to your lies Karen....

Contact me directly if you would like to talk in person. Call collect if you like.

Must suck for you to have your 10 plus year campaign to damage my business fail so badly. Things are a rocking....

Good rant though.

I think I'll give it a like wink

Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.