April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hugh Lomas), 1,094 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the looks of the "Butterknife bolt". Are they as nice to work as they look?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that the intent was to achieve a smoother fit in saddle scabbards, particularly for the full stocked stutzen carbines.

They look nice but are not as handy to work with as a conventional bolt, particularly for a left hander like myself.

On Mannlicher Schoenauers there is a locking spring just behind the bolt handle. It is important to ensure the bolt is pushed all the way down into battery over this spring as otherwise a misfire can result.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that is a Model 1952 M/S
The yr of mfg (proof date) will be on the bbl and the recv'r as a 2 digit number in line with the Proof marks on both parts. All above the wood line of the stock.
Likely the '54' number in this case.

Normally the rifle would have the standard M/S mfg'r marking on top of the recv'r ring along with the Model number of the rifle & the caliber.
It looks like that area was engraved over on this one

The Mod 1952 was the last M/S model with the straight comb stock .
They did elliminate the stripper clip guides on the recv'r with this Model and also added the swept back bolt handle

It was available in Standard grade as well as Deluxe, Super Deluxe grades. You could also special order a Custom Grade.
Might be a factory Custom Grade and that could account for the Factory markings usually found on the top of the recv'r ring being missing and engraved over instead.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter's analysis (as is always on anything he comments about) should be accepted. I have found these rifles to be extremely accurate and of course one of the most smooth bolt actions ever built. The double set trigger is superb and can be adjusted to your preference. The custom work on your rifle is a rare find especially its condition after all these years. I notice that your rifle does not have the swing away scope mount that pivots from the front and swings away from a "gate" on the rear of the action. The swing away mounts were made available here in the USA and I have seen them poorly installed with scope not aligned with barrel bore by USA gunsmiths, so your scope mounting is likely a plus for accuracy concerns. Your scope mounting may be factory, I do not know and am interested in what Kutter thinks in this regard. Also since Kutter is such an excellent engraver and expert on same what he thinks as to the origin of the engraving--factory or not--I suspect the rifle is all factory work.

Once again you are a very lucky owner. As to the buttplate they can be found and fitted, although you should consider a 1/2 inch thick leather covered recoil pad for your comfort.

Kind Regards;
Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well then, if operation is not smooth as butter, then the only thing to do is make the first shot the only shot required. I still like the way they look.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking again at the pics, I see that the 'scope is marked 'Kurt Jaeger, Mainz'

The work overall,,the engraving, the wood carving & checkering style, etc looks a lot like what his shop produced in the years after WW2 for GI's stationed in Germany.
They also did work for shops in the USA like Pachmyr.
That deer on the floorplate looked very familiar to me when enlarged.

So looking around for other examples from their shop, it wasn't hard to find some that were very similar.

Here's one:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...stom-rifle---7x57mm.cfm?gun_id=101033119

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter;

Thanks for the identification of Kurt Jaeger.

Kind Regards;
Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kurt Jaeger was the uncle of Dietrich Apel, the founder of the German Gun Collectors Assn., the brother of Paul Jaeger and the son of Franz Jaeger. The scope would have been mounted by Kurt Jaeger, not the factory, in claw mounts. He did not do engraving, rather he farmed it out, he may have farmed out the stock work as well.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a little history surrounding the purported date of 1954 for the longarm. On may 8th, 1945 hunting on German soil was transferred to the governing powers. The Brits were driving around in their vehicles & shooting game @ will with their military arms. The Germans became alarmed that if this continues, game populations could be devastated. So 2 Germans, Gerhard Wulff and H.W. Ottens confronted British commanders and by September 27th, 1945 the Lower Saxony Hunters' Association was formed. By April 23rd, 1950, the ground became the >>German Hunting Protection Association, Lowery Saxony State Hunting Association. This led the way for the German Hunters to actually possess shotguns, without penalty of death(remember in the East sector, the Russians either shot you on the spot or sent you on permanent Holiday to Siberia if you were caught with a weapon). So by January 12th, 1951 a German Hunter could obtain a permit to possess, store and carry scatterguns and associated ammo. Rifles were still barred from production & ownership. This privilege was not again allowed until 1953.

I haven't seen the proofs on the subject longarm, but it would be in the 1st year of production after ownership was again allowed.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.