May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
11 members (Der Ami, Jeremy Pearce, Borderbill, eeb, 1574trap, j7l2), 278 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,934
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Lloyd3 #642592 02/16/24 08:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dad thought that a .22 rifle required a greater level of safety in use, because of the extended range at which it could cause harm, and so my first gun was a .410 S X S at age 8. I was allowed later, probably around the age of 12, to begin using my Grandad's Rem. Model 33 single shot .22 to try to kill those squirrels that would run to the top of the great old pines on the place. Then, I was given my first .22, a Remington Nylon 11, for Christmas when I was 14. From then on the .22 was my gun of choice for squirreling. As an adult I have had great fun hunting squirrels with my S & W K22 pistol and my Southern Mtn. style 36 cal. long rifle, taking head shots only with it.

I'm addicted to doves and ducks, but nothing takes me back to my carefree childhood days more so than wandering the woods with a .22 in hand. What wonderful days those were. The .410 S x S is gone, and the Nylon 11 was stolen from my truck, but I have Grandad's old Model 33. It is indeed a keeper.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, John Roberts, keith
Jimmy W #642608 02/16/24 12:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
[ Wow!! A .22 when you were only 10 years old!! Most kids barely have a BB gun at the age of 10. You must have really been trustworthy. I didn't get my first .22 until I was about 15 and I had to sneak to buy it. Actually my 17 year old brother paid for it because I was still to young to purchase it. A Winchester Model 67. And even then, I had to have my uncle keep it for me and he went with me when I first started hunting. He took his Model 42 and we went together. I wish I still had that gun for old times sake. Good luck.

I really never gave that much thought because a lot of kids I knew were given a .22 at a very young age. I wasn't allowed to keep my .22 rifle in my own bedroom until I was about 13, but I always had access to it because it was kept in my parent's bedroom closet, along with my Dad's hunting guns. My Dad had been drilling gun safety into my skull for several years, and I was forbidden to mess with my gun without his supervision. I knew better than to test him on that. I'm not saying I was never tempted to take my .22 out to shoot it when he wasn't around. But deep down, I knew the consequences would be pretty bad if I got caught. I was warned that if I messed up even one time with a gun in my hands, that I wouldn't ever be permitted to hunt or shoot until I was grown up and living on my own. There was no question in my young mind that he meant every word.

My Dad would never allow me to own a BB gun. He felt they were too dangerous for kids because the steel BB's were prone to ricochet's, and I could "put my eye out". He did allow me to use my paper route money to buy a .177 cal. Benjamin air rifle when I was 12, because the pure lead pellets were unlikely to ricochet. It was far more accurate than any BB gun, and .177 Pellets were much cheaper than .22 shells. I shot that thing countless times, and literally wore it out. I liked it because you could vary the power depending upon how many times you pumped it up. I remember one time I took a shot at a rabbit in the yard. I didn't want to kill it. Just wanted to sting it in the ass to discourage it from coming around the garden. I gave the Benjamin just two pumps and held the sights about a foot over its' back, knowing the trajectory of the pellet would drop roughly that much at about 20 yards. When I squeezed the trigger, the rabbit jumped at least 3 feet straight into the air and came down dead as a stone. I couldn't find a mark on it, and I think it must have had a heart attack. A few years ago, I bought new piston seals and other parts that were worn, and rebuilt it and refinished the walnut stock. So I guess that's another of my "Keeper" guns.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: greener4me
Fudd #642630 02/16/24 06:56 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Fudd
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
...I have often said that it is the easiest S x S, I've ever had, to shoot well.

They must've gotten something right, because I vaguely recall that I hit the first trap target I'd ever seen with mine my first time out, and by the end of my fourth round I was breaking maybe half of them. Far better showing than I'd expected. And things just kept getting better all summer.

Love the pictures. Nice to see another one getting used.
You did better than I did. My first round of trap I broke 12. And stumbled along for several weeks. Skeet was even harder for me.

Jimmy W #642633 02/16/24 09:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
You did better than I did. My first round of trap I broke 12. And stumbled along for several weeks. Skeet was even harder for me.

No, I did not do better than you did. My first round, I maybe broke eight, and I was as happy as a clam. Might have broken twelve or thirteen my last two rounds that day. As I said, I was maybe breaking half of 'em at the end, which astonished me. I need to have a quiet word with your high school mathematics teacher, sir.

But, yeah, Skeet. Going from Trap to Skeet, for me, was like going from go-karts to Formula One. My eyes watered, my first two rounds. In a good way. Because I was thinking, 'Okay, this is unpossible. But. Other people can hit these. I oughta be able to. Oh, and this is fun!'

I ain't shot Skeet often, and I'm still happy if I break more than half. The Superposed Lightning Skeet with those goofy Carl Barks dollar-sign choke-marks on its flats I bought this past autumn told me I can probably do even better.

Blowing-up porcelain penguins is fun. Blowing-up porcelain penguins with a shotgun I like and trust is even more fun. I think I'll be keeping the Superposed, too.

Lloyd3 #642643 02/17/24 12:00 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It occurs to me that what was considered a gun that the game keeper would use in England, would be typical of what American manufacturers produced for everybody, here. The highly engraved models, typically the same exact gun as the hardware store version that was the manufacturer’s bread and butter, are few and far between.

Best,
Ted

Lloyd3 #642841 02/19/24 04:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Walsh - "The Modern Shotgun" - defines " the Keeper's Gun " as sold (? manufactured?) by Thomas Bland.
I should have said "The Modern Spotsman's Gun & Rifle" - by Stonehenge ( Dr Walsh).

Last edited by greener4me; 02/20/24 05:51 AM.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.