April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Hammergun, 80dubya, ClapperZapper, earlyriser, 2 invisible), 409 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,215
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roger, Mister Schefelbein. Merci. I'll bust the tripod and the iPad mount out and start taking pictures.

It's a very interesting old(ish) rifle. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a point to ponder, my 1922 Sporter weighs almost ten pounds. Why? I don't know. I didn't build it. I think it came out of the Parker-Whelen shop in Washington, D.C.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Fudd
Any interest in seeing pictures? Of the rifle, its paper-trail, or all of the above?

Yes, definitely. But more so, some pics of groups it has shot. Remember, "Only accurate rifles are interesting.". Or, put another way, pretty is as pretty does.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think one of the reasons the 1922 sporters weigh so much is the hole in the barrel is so much smaller than a 30-06 and the outside profile is the same. The actions are big for a 22 and subsequently seem to make the stocks man size.

I have a 1922 MI made by Jack Haugh that we tried to make as light as possible and it’s still around 8#.

Last edited by bsteele; 01/30/24 08:57 AM.
2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, A10ACN
Sidelock
Sidelock

My little wonder gun may weigh ten pounds, but feels three pounds lighter in the hands.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Out of curiosity I weighed my M2 Springfield, original configuration with Style B stock - 9 pounds 12 ounces with 1907 pattern sling. Funny thing it doesn't feel that heavy to me and was kind of shocked. Countless hours of hiking/squirrel hunting never found me complaining about its weight.

Count me as another who would like to see pics of this jewel.

Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't seem to have immediate access to an accurate-enough scale to weigh the thing to my satisfaction, but it's definitely stout. Barrel does not look like it's been turned. Big thick pipe, tiny little bore. The stock's been whittled, but wood's definitely not steel.

I expect to have some bright sunlight this coming weekend, and will endeavor to take some pictures with it posed over the kitchen sink. I unfortunately don't have the privacy of a back yard, and taking the rifle to the riverside park a block away to pose it on a picnic table would get me arrested in the time it'd take to light a cigarette.

Taking pictures of its paper-trail will be far easier. I'll start with that.

Thank you to all who've expressed interest.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Regarding the rifle's weight... I bought Brophy's book on the Springfield 1903 because it includes a fairly good chapter about the M1922s. One of the appendices lists the M1922's weight, all variants, in arsenal condition, of course, as being 8.7 lbs. The funny thing is that my sporter hefts heavier than that!

Time to buy a cheap digital 5kg kitchen scale off of Amazon. It'll also come in handy for weighing beef brisket so I can calculate brining salt.

Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Yes, definitely. But more so, some pics of groups it has shot. Remember, "Only accurate rifles are interesting.". Or, put another way, pretty is as pretty does.

First firearms book I ever bought new off-the-rack was "The Accurate Rifle" by Warren Page, and I remember that he quoted Whelen's dictum in it. We are in agreement.

I aim to take it to a nearby indoor range that allows walk-ins within the next few weeks and try it out. If it (and I) can group 'em touching or at least clustered at fifteen yards (minute-of-partridge's head), I'll be happy. I've got an old brick of Fiocchi Biathlon left over from my rimfire pistol days, and I still have a few unused short-range free pistol practice targets in the top drawer of my shotgun trunk. Hopefully the thing will group, as opposed to patterning.

It's at least 90 years old. Hoping I remember how to shoot a rifle! Been out of that game 23 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fudd, I sympathize with you, not being a rifle guy. I found a load that would shoot ragged one hole groups at 50 yards with my 1922. It is serial number 251, so I guess mine is what, 101 years old? I don't know much about the serial number versus date of manufacture of these great guns, but considering its place of origin at Colonel Whelen's shop, I have only questions, no answers.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.