May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, AGS, 1 invisible), 944 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,485
Posts545,291
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
In looking at Robusts I've run across a word I don't know - "borgne"; sometimes "crosse de borgne." It appears to indicate something somewhat unusual - perhaps "cobbled together" or possibly "bent center view stock". Does anyone know a good definition of this term?

https://www.naturabuy.fr/Rare-fusil...ILS-A-PARIS-vers-1870-item-11236240.html

The gun in the link has a crossover stock. They are built with extreme cast to permit a shooter to use the opposite eye as the shoulder they prefer. So it appears that Ted is probably correct about the French word meaning something like that... indicating it is stocked for a visually impaired shooter. They are an unusual alternative for a right handed shooter who loses vision in his dominant right eye, and vice versa. If you really love shooting, you do what you gotta do to stay in the game.

I think I recall KY Jon recently telling us that he has been putting together a little collection of crossover stocked guns.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SN 5219. . . .Nr. 3. . . . Oldest Robust so far found. Probably just after WWI - the above chart would put it late 1919/early 1920; However, it could even be pre-war. What we really need is an early Robust "bis" model which would give a marker for pre-WWI guns.

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/manufrance-robust-no3-12-ga-double-shotgun-969-c-bd04795913
SERIAL NUMBER 5219 BARREL 27 1/2" CALIBER 12 GAUGE MANUFACTURED CIRCA 1930';S. Produced in France by Manufrance with box lock action and double triggers. Lifter extractors. Varnished pistol grip stocks with splinter forearm. Smooth steel butt plate. CONDITION. Good with bright bores and properly operating action. Barrel finish is mottled. Stocks remain full sized . Both barrels have small bulges at muzzle. TDW /. C&R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

SN 4196. . . . .274 . . . . . .Robust Ideal. - Some sort of button press under-lever release mechanism:
https://www.naturabuy.fr/FUSIL-IDEAL-MANUFRANCE-item-8188148.html

argo44;

the button that you are evidently referencing in the photo is the fingertip contact point for the sliding safety switch on ideals - and robust-ideals. it's a very simply sheet metal "gate" that slides into notches in the reverse face of the triggers, and keeps them from moving. it's sole function is to prevent trigger(s) movement, and has no effect on other cause of accidental discharges....it's other shortcoming is the fact that it works in the opposite direction from pretty well 100% of other safeties - moves forward to the safe position, and rearward to fire. in my opinion, it's the one and only design feature on an ideal where la manu collaborated with mickey mouse...

best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Merci Tom, I thought that might be the case but for the life of me I can't figure out how one would break that gun. I can't see a lever anywhere. I've assumed that these 4 digit SN's were somehow associated with the Ideal trigger-plate under-lever but can't see it on that gun.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Gene,
The lever appears to be tied up with the string with the paper tag on it. You can see the track for the lever, in the back of the trigger guard.

Best,
Ted

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yet another Robust-Ideal. . .model 292P an Ideal type trigger-plate U-L. It has a 4 digit SN 6114 on the barrel but 1300 on barrel flats and Action flats. Surely there's an explanation:
https://www.galeriedemars.fr/chasse...16-70-manufacture-saint-etienne-xxe.html

Per FAB500 on the Ideal line, each distinct Manufrance model had its own SN. Robust-Ideal's had their own characteristics and must have been numbered separately. Why the two different numbers, on barrel tubes and on barrel and action flats is still not explained.

Last edited by Argo44; 01/25/24 04:16 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We'll have to return to Canvasback's 940,000 estimate for total Robust production. This Robust 254 is 919273:

J'ai contacté le vendeur pour vérification du numéro de série. C'est 819273, qui situe ce fusil vers 1981 / 1982.

Argo44, je ne pense pas que Naturabuy obligera ses clients à marquer les numéros de série de leurs armes dans leurs annonces. C'est peine perdue !
Le mieux, c'est de pouvoir consulter les archives de Manufrance à Saint-Etienne.
J'y suis allé il y a quelques temps, mais pour le moment ce n'est pas prévu que j'y retourne.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ah, merci beaucoup Fab. Je pense aller à Saint-Chamon peut-être en Avril. Je visiterai Saint-Etienne bien sûr.

Ok . . . .back to an estimated 880,000 Robusts once again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
It is very frustrating that the proof house didn’t bother to date certificates of proof. I have looked at hundreds of those over the years, and that little addition would have answered questions.

Scary to think we are reliant on me for French text, but, I think that word refers to vision or lack of same, for the build of the stock. A stock for a vision impaired or partially blind individual, perhaps.

Best,
Ted

Salut Ted,

Le banc d'épreuve de Saint-Etienne n'a jamais daté ses épreuves, car entre l'épreuve et la vente du fusil il pouvait s'écouler un temps important (5 ans et même plus).
Un client risquait d'être mécontent car il pouvait penser avoir acheter un fusil d'occasion, alors qu'il était neuf.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Bonjour, Fab

C'est logique, mais cela rend beaucoup plus difficile pour nous de dater avec précision l'arme !

Merci bien,

Sinceres salutations,

Ted

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.