May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (claydog, dearmer, ClapperZapper, MattH, Silverbow), 1,150 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,510
Posts545,655
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24
Sidelock
Sidelock

What exactly is a “S&W” action? I didn’t know that Skimmin & Wood developed their own proprietary action. A modified S&W action? What makes a S&W action different? What is a hallmark or identifying feature of a S&W action?

In my experience….the JA markings are for Joseph Asbury’s. Asbury’s probably made the entire gun. Possibly delivering it in the white or even fully finished. I can be almost certain that the action is marked with a JA as well. I’ve had various JA guns on my bench…some have Greener lever work, others have had Scott spindles, I currently own a Linsley Bros that is a JA made gun…it has a very odd spindle system in it where it uses a pin mounted in the spindle, and the leg of the top lever spring rest on that pin. Odd. I’ve never seen another like it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
What exactly is a “S&W” action? I didn’t know that Skimmin & Wood developed their own proprietary action. A modified S&W action? What makes a S&W action different? What is a hallmark or identifying feature of a S&W action?

Fuse, you're asking me? Remember your proclamation that I don't know anything? That's a lot of not knowing, so why are you asking me? Have you forgotten already? It's pretty easy to figure out actually. If you look at a few S&W guns you can figure it out. There are some Purdey, H&H (I think), and maybe it was a Wesley Richards 2" guns that are NOT S&W actions that I have looked at.

In my experience….the JA markings are for Joseph Asbury’s. Asbury’s probably made the entire gun. Possibly delivering it in the white or even fully finished. I can be almost certain that the action is marked with a JA as well. I’ve had various JA guns on my bench…some have Greener lever work, others have had Scott spindles, I currently own a Linsley Bros that is a JA made gun…it has a very odd spindle system in it where it uses a pin mounted in the spindle, and the leg of the top lever spring rest on that pin. Odd. I’ve never seen another like it.

Very nice to hear about all your wonderful guns. The two JA guns that I have owned, did/do not not have JA anywhere else on the guns. I can't tell you whose spindle design was used, but then I don't know anything, right? It's my understanding that he did the barrel work, but perhaps not everything else.

Maybe you should quit reading my posts... Thanks.

PS. Nice Merkel, eh?

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 01/05/24 09:10 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

You’re such a f’ing tool.

You’re right. I asked because I know you don’t know. All sarcasm. Glad you picked up on it, cause’ I was laying it on pretty thick you loud mouth doofus. Everyone here knows you don’t know squat about double guns, and have zero idea how to identify who made a particular type of action. Nice try you fugazi.

Your Merkel still sucks.
You blow up anymore Springfield’s lately?
Still running your bootlicking dog with a gps collar?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
You’re such a f’ing tool.

You’re right. I asked because I know you don’t know. All sarcasm. Glad you picked up on it, cause’ I was laying it on pretty thick you loud mouth doofus.

Nice try at a recovery, but it don't slice.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KDGJ
Westley Richards had one of the G&H guns for sale 6-8 years ago. It looked new: case colors were 95% or better, barrel blue was great along with the stock. It had 26” barrels and weighed around 5 lbs 5oz.

Ken

My memory was off a little. It was an Abercrombie & Fitch 2” gun. Not much write up on the WR Explora and I don’t know if WR lets you search their used guns for sale site. The Expolra link AF 2

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another 2” twelve retailed by an American seller. The only vintage American 2” I’ve seen were made by Remington. Did any other American ammunition companies offer 2” shells in the 1930s?

Kimball

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KDGJ
Another 2” twelve retailed by an American seller. The only vintage American 2” I’ve seen were made by Remington. Did any other American ammunition companies offer 2” shells in the 1930s?

Kimball

Ken

That is a nice one. It was made for Kimball by Skimin and Wood. I have another one. Morris Baker has a good number of 2x12s and told me that Kimball/Skimin and Wood are among the most common to find. I have not seen any others in my searches last year, but they must b out there.

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 01/12/24 09:34 AM.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Prof, when did that dog last have a square meal ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by greener4me
Hi Prof, when did that dog last have a square meal ?

Every damn day. 3 lbs of the finest meats, home-raised duck eggs, fish, and misc other side dishes. He eats well and then some. If I told you our monthly dog-food bill, you would not believe it.

Here is a nice lunch in my picture files.

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 01/13/24 03:07 PM.

_________

1 member likes this: Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a wonderful dog. He deserves to eat like a king! Sorry way more impressed with that old dog than the 2” 12s. Guns can always be replaced but dogs like that rarely.

Last edited by Jtplumb; 01/13/24 08:49 PM.
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.