Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carl Baird #640740 01/13/24 12:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was an older discussion about sonic cleaners and several mentioned that they brighten the colors on CCH actions. My intent was to try the least destructive methods first.
Mike

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Carl Baird #640745 01/13/24 01:59 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Kutter has a great idea. Acetone will not harm CC in the slightest. Neither will a sonic cleaner, unless there is some flakiness to the colors. I've seen that on one Helm's spur lever I had cased.

I think it must be the lacquer because case colors should never turn black by themselves.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Carl Baird #640747 01/13/24 02:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen a '50's vintage J. P. Sauer on which the lacquers were flaking and the case colors were coming off with the flakes. You could peel pieces off with your fingernail. What was left underneath was a dull French grey.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Carl Baird #640748 01/13/24 02:49 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, I'm heading over to HD for a fresh can of acetone as mine is old and dirty. I can't see where I said the finish was NOT pristine, it is in fact, pristine.I don't know how to download pics on this site but would be happy to send some to someone that can post them for me?

Carl Baird #640751 01/13/24 03:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I PM'd you this reply back in July because you posted the question in the FAQ section, where I couldn't respond.

Originally Posted by keith
Hi Carl,

This is strange, and I have never heard of this happening. Bone Charcoal case colors may fade over time due to wear or surface oxidation. Some say that direct sunlight caused them to fade. But I have not seen them turn into a blued appearance.

I would suggest that you repost this topic in the general DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com forum

You posted this in the FAQ forum, and there is no option to reply except via PM.

It would help matters if you had some photos of the case colors after you had the job done, and photos now.

It would also help to know if you applied anything to the case colored surface such as lacquer or wax which might have caused this color change. Storage conditions could provide a clue. Some guys have noted that cleaning their case colored parts in an ultrasonic cleaner has removed crud and surface oxidation, and a good deal of color has returned. We've been shown some remarkable before and after photos of this effect.

Keith

At the time, I didn't know that the frame had been coated with a lacquer. So it seems unlikely that the case hardening colors became oxidized. Knowing that now, I think I'd start by stripping the protective coat off, and hope it was the lacquer that discolored for some reason. In any event, an ultrasonic cleaning isn't going to touch the case hardened surface until the lacquer is removed.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Carl Baird #640752 01/13/24 03:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

There has always been some question on whether or not to store a gun in a sock or a carrying case. I have heard of some people having a shotgun in a sock for only a week or so and it rusted. I have always been leery about storing a gun in a sock for any length of time, although a lot of people do it. You never can tell what kind of chemicals are in that sock. I am not trying to run anyone down or anything, but I always check my guns- pretty much weekly, or after a couple weeks, to see that they are doing all right. To leave a gun in a safe for any length of time without checking it would really scare me. I can show you two of my handguns that have rusted after only two or three weeks in my gun safe because I did not check it. But good luck trying to repair your gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
I have seen a '50's vintage J. P. Sauer on which the lacquers were flaking and the case colors were coming off with the flakes. You could peel pieces off with your fingernail. What was left underneath was a dull French grey.
JR

That is actually the lacquer or varnish that the colors were coated with, coming off and taking the thin layer of color oxides off with it. Seen it a few times myself.

I shot a few case colored guns with the baking lacquer that Brownell’s used to sell. It was a coating that was impervious to acetone, or lacquer thinner, once it was baked on the gun. However, regular old Berryman dip type carb cleaner removed it handily, and absolutely didn’t disturb the case colors underneath. It doesn’t hurt bone pack case colors, or cyanide colors, I’ve used it on both. I wouldn’t soak anything overnight in the stuff, but, it might get you out of a jam if you have a synthetic clear finish that was applied and has changed color over your re-done case colors.

The stuff is nasty, don’t get it on yourself.

Best,
Ted

Carl Baird #640756 01/13/24 03:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Carl Baird
Thanks, I'm heading over to HD for a fresh can of acetone as mine is old and dirty. I can't see where I said the finish was NOT pristine, it is in fact, pristine.I don't know how to download pics on this site but would be happy to send some to someone that can post them for me?

You can email ‘em to me, I’ll get them up for you. Email is in my profile.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by John Roberts
JR

That is actually the lacquer or varnish that the colors were coated with, coming off and taking the thin layer of color oxides off with it. Seen it a few times myself.

I shot a few case colored guns with the baking lacquer that Brownell’s used to sell. It was a coating that was impervious to acetone, or lacquer thinner, once it was baked on the gun. However, regular old Berryman dip type carb cleaner removed it handily, and absolutely didn’t disturb the case colors underneath. It doesn’t hurt bone pack case colors, or cyanide colors, I’ve used it on both. I wouldn’t soak anything overnight in the stuff, but, it might get you out of a jam if you have a synthetic clear finish that was applied and has changed color over your re-done case colors.

The stuff is nasty, don’t get it on yourself.

Best,
Ted

I've seen unlaquered colors flake as well.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Carl Baird #640762 01/13/24 07:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Carl’s LC.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Damn-looks hot blued from here. Never seen anything quite like that.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.