May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Chantry, Jeremy Pearce, Argo44, Canvasback13, Researcher, Der Ami), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,530
Posts545,891
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Larry,
Subconsciously, while out hunting with the dog, I have found that I will switch the gun to my left hand, without even realizing it. I play a mental game where I put a glove on my left hand, which helps me to remember to keep my gun over on the right.

When you said the “entire process feels really awkward”, you said a mouthful. It never feels natural, even when I connect on the bird.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

God I hope I never have to switch to right hand shooting. I'm not sure I could wipe my butt right handed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's funny how this left hand/right hand thing is. I am right eye dominant and right handed. I do everything right handed ...... I mean everything. A good friend and pool shooting buddy of mine is right handed, almost entirely. The one thing he does left handed is shoot pool. He said when he was a very young child he had a mentor who was left handed and taught him to shoot pool ......... left handed. He is excellent, and beats me more often than not.

My Grandad taught me to cast a reel and rod when I was about eight years old. We fished thousands of hours together for bluegill,shellcrackers, redbreast, crappie, bass, and jackfish. When we fished for bass he used a Pflueger Supreme bait casting reel. When I "came of age" and got my first bait-caster, a Pfluger Supreme, he made me learn to cast left handed so that my reel would already be in my left hand to crank the handles with my right.

It seems to me that we can teach ourselves to use our "off hand" for any task we choose, without any loss of efficiency or accuracy, but it takes considerable time to ingrain the muscle memory.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, Karl Graebner
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan,
If you learn as a kid, it will be much, much easier. 50 years of muscle memory is a force to be reckoned with.

Pleased as punch to shoot my old double so well. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and I was so disappointed with my performance with them the past year. Finding the pieces, like using a bit heavier double, lightening up my loads, practicing my mount, and being rewarded with a much improved score on a trap round is a beautiful thing.

Had a real nice offer on that old Halifax, glad I turned it down.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Ted, keep at it - it's an inspiring story of not giving up and perseverance. As I mentioned before, doing physical therapy exercises specifically targeting my left shoulder and back, I found I could swing a golf club left handed. Sometimes working on the muscles will help the muscle memory as Stanton suggested. And Merry Christmas/Joyeux Noël. Gene

Last edited by Argo44; 12/16/23 09:51 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Gene. Blessed Christmas to you and your kin.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.