May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Kip, Licensed to kill, dogon, MattH, RARiddell), 988 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,528
Posts545,859
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not where I hunt. I rarely ever see a hunter in December and never on the private land I hunt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DoubleTake
Not where I hunt. I rarely ever see a hunter in December and never on the private land I hunt.

You are a lucky guy. I don't hunt private, so part of the game is hunter avoidance. Last year, I drove about an hour and half to a spot that is sort of isolated. It was Wednesday. I'm retired.. Should be empty and worth the drive. Got there and a young guy - maybe mid30s and his yellow lab were having at it. There really wasn't room for 2 so I moved on, but I kept thinking, shouldn't that guy be at work? Oh well, it's a different world out there now and pheasant hunting at midweek is much more fashionable than it used to be. Today, there will be some 4-day holiday weekend guys out there. We will have to be a bit more mobile.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Ted.

This trip was the best since I moved ten years ago. When I lived in Mn the best time to hunt Phez was after deer until it just could not be done. Nothing like a 10 degree sunny day with little or no wind, (rare, to say the least). Everything cold, real, and alone except for the dog. Things change, not likely I will I have that hunt again, not that I'm complaining! Kansas soon!

Chief

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I went out again today. Saw nothing. There were probably a dozen or so others hunting in the three areas I went to. When I was working I always took a personal day or reported off sick the first day of pheasant hunting season. But I think my hunting days are over. I just can't walk through the woods and weeds anymore stumbling every step I take because I can't pick my feet up. My legs, knees and ankles hurt too badly. I'll just have to stick to walking 50 feet from my car to the trap range to shoot a couple rounds of singles trap and maybe a round of skeet on occasion. That's about all I can handle anymore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy,
Sounds like you need to get into a daily exercise routine.

This is what my afternoon looked like. 47 minutes was all that it took. On public land. Of course, I had a dog. A rather good one, in fact.

The first one dropped 100 yds from the truck after a 70 yd track, the second was only 50 yds further. Don't give up - get out there!

And start moving, every day.

_________

2 members like this: Jimmy W, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was wondering how you did. Nice job! It took me about an hour to get my three in your state’s upper reaches. Connecting on roosters with the very first three shots out of my new shotgun made me glad I bought it. The sky was sorta parkerized today, nice northwest wind.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

2 members like this: Jimmy W, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DoubleTake
I was wondering how you did. Nice job! It took me about an hour to get my three in your state’s upper reaches. Connecting on roosters with the very first three shots out of my new shotgun was made me glad I bought it. The sky was sorta parkerized today, nice northwest wind.

NICE!

I only needed 3 shells as well. Not the norm for me.

Skies here were brighter than the best nitre blue. At 47 degrees F, a perfect day.

_________

1 member likes this: Parabola
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The places I have been going are all hunted out by now. The first day, there are so many people hunting you're afraid of getting shot. It's almost elbow to elbow. That was last Saturday. There are probably still few but I just don't have the energy to wade through all the weeds to look for them. Old age is getting to me. But I enjoyed the nice day and it was fun totin' my 21 again. smile

Last edited by Jimmy W; 11/11/23 09:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy, you have to think outside the box and start looking for places to go where others won't bother. Places where birds go to escape the hordes. Don't give up. Keep moving. Every single day. Take a hike today, even if you don't hunt. Gotta move.

_________

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If I get time this week I might go back out. We'll see. Thanks for all the input, guys. I really appreciate it.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.