Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

No reason not to take a nap if that's what feels good. After all, this is about enjoying yourself. Gus and I have been known to do that on a sunny day in thick stuff.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It gets thick where we hunt. Sometimes REALLY thick

Which is why Gus always wears colors

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

1 member likes this: Jimmy W
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is what you are looking for. This afternoon, we got just one opportunity. Made the most of it.

Good luck with that rooster. But don't wait long before going after him.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by JimmyW
I did notice that there was nothing for the birds to eat where I was hunting. It was just weeds and thorns. Usually they leave a row or two around the outer edges with soy beans and corn. They didn't do that this year. There were corn fields all over the place in the hunting area where I saw the pheasant by the road.

Jimmy, if the corn was combined there should be sufficient grain left for the birds. No combines can get it all. If a farmer can hold his harvest losses to 2% he is doing extremely well. What that means, however, is that 180 bushel per acre corn will have at least 3 or 4 bushels of grain per acre left on the ground. What I don't know about pheasants would fill volumes, but I know combines and, if a pheasant is as good at getting into thick stuff as I have read, they should have no problem finding that harvest loss.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know. Where I was first hunting there was absolutely nothing for them to eat. Even though they had released birds there. Just weeds. There are about 4 hunting areas at that location, and when I drove past the second area, there were corn fields that had been harvested all around. That is where I should have hunted. I'll know better next time. smile

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I know. Where I was first hunting there was absolutely nothing for them to eat. Even though they had released birds there. Just weeds. There are about 4 hunting areas at that location, and when I drove past the second area, there were corn fields that had been harvested all around. That is where I should have hunted. I'll know better next time. smile

If you are going to hunt near crop fields, I would recommend hunting that afternoons, especially the last two hours before sunset.

_________

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Jimmy W

If you are going to hunt near crop fields, I would recommend hunting that afternoons, especially the last two hours before sunset.
I'll try that. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got back to reality! 5 weeks in MN hunting Ruffs and Pheasant. What a great year for Grouse, outstanding at least where I was. To the OP's question, shot all grouse with a Cyl. choked 1100 and a SKB 100 choked SK/Mod, both in 20Ga. Shot wild pheasants with the same guns. Number 6 shot for all. High end copper plated 1 Oz. for the Pheasants though. My usually pointing sometimes flushing dog at least stayed close enough, mostly! Was excellent on retrieves, the best part!
Ted, no need to wait for a freeze, slews are dry, leather boot dry. Now the Vikings? Well, you know.

Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ChiefAmungum
Just got back to reality! 5 weeks in MN hunting Ruffs and Pheasant. What a great year for Grouse, outstanding at least where I was. To the OP's question, shot all grouse with a Cyl. choked 1100 and a SKB 100 choked SK/Mod, both in 20Ga. Shot wild pheasants with the same guns. Number 6 shot for all. High end copper plated 1 Oz. for the Pheasants though. My usually pointing sometimes flushing dog at least stayed close enough, mostly! Was excellent on retrieves, the best part!
Ted, no need to wait for a freeze, slews are dry, leather boot dry. Now the Vikings? Well, you know.

Chief

Glad to hear you had a good trip. I had a most enjoyable 1 week trip for grouse up near the Canadian border. Been years since I’ve seen bird numbers like this year.

I’ve hunted a spot in Steele and Waseca counties for most of my life. The slew on that property runs 6-8 feet deep, with islands of cover that are unreachable unless it is frozen. After the corn is out, you know exactly where the birds will be, and few bird hunters have the gumption to walk the ice and cat tails to get out there and do it. It is spooky if it isn’t well frozen, but, nirvana if the conditions are right.

I thought I’d get across it in hip waders one time, when I was younger, and got a cold surprise.

Deer season is in full swing at the moment, I’ll get the property cleaned up and take care of the paperwork to keep my son in his last year of private, catholic school this weekend. Pheasant season doesn’t really begin in my world until deer season is over, and it cools down.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

There’s no solitude quite like late season pheasant hunting under the gunmetal skies of December.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DoubleTake
There’s no solitude quite like late season pheasant hunting under the gunmetal skies of December.

That used to be true. Not so much solitude these days. Actually gets kinda crowded, no matter what the skies. Today, the skies will be partly gunmetal. I expect a few birds and a few hunters, plus lots of bowhunters hanging in the trees around the wooded edges, so we will avoid those today.

_________

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.