May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, Hammergun, R Reynolds, j7l2, 1 invisible), 875 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,856
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Buzz
That one has surely been redone.

Well sure it has. It looks to my eyes that it’s been done right. The gun being redone surely doesn’t detract from the value at all to me. The finishes on this Dickson are very well done.
100% original finishes on a 100+ year old Brit gun…..pretty rare thing.

I wouldn’t kick a properly refreshed British gun out of my gun cabinet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
Originally Posted by Buzz
That one has surely been redone.

Well sure it has. It looks to my eyes that it’s been done right. The gun being redone surely doesn’t detract from the value at all to me. The finishes on this Dickson are very well done.
100% original finishes on a 100+ year old Brit gun…..pretty rare thing.

I wouldn’t kick a properly refreshed British gun out of my gun cabinet.

Just be careful buying a gun by the pictures. It appears to be nicely redone, but the barrels are a little thin

[/url]Dickson

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Dan S. W.
The only piece of advice my gunsmith ever gives on prospective purchases is, "buy the barrels, everything else can be fixed."

Your gunsmith is wise. He uses the exact same words that the late Jack Rowe, Birmingham gunmaker used in all his lectures on British guns. Look at this example that your gunsmith would tell you to buy as what needs to be done is the buttstock which you could have the famous gunstock painting artist here in America fix for you (for less than $1,000.00) or you could have a new buttstock made for 4-5 thousand dollars by the renown Birmingham stocker Malcolm Cruxton before it is sent to you.

Graham Mackinlay who sells more Dickson round actions than any gun firm in the UK and always has round action bargains listed. My guess is this gun can be purchased for £6.000.00 ($7.260.00)

Here you have a gun that has much desired 29 inch barrels with exceptional bore condition and acceptable .022" wall thickness that with careful use will last for when your grandson is shooting birds. The engraving looks like it was done yesterday and the guns internals are perfect.

https://www.gmackinlay.com/product/12g-round-action-by-john-dickson-son-29-x-2-1-2-barrels/

Last edited by bushveld; 10/27/23 11:10 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Yes re-done. I had it inspected by a former H&H barrel man before it went to auction, he suggested that I run not walk away from that one. On the bright side, you buy it you keep it, no inspections with CMSC.

What did your H&H barrel man find wrong with it, Steve?
I notice the CSMC ad doesn’t give very specific measurements, etc ( obviously if I was seriously interested in buying the gun I’d have all of the details confirmed before going into negotiations)

Out of curiosity I’d just like to know what’s hidden beneath the pretty finishes.

1 member likes this: mc
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels had numerous issues, when he told me to run I stopped asking questions.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: mc
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think doing business with company that won't let it be looked over by a gunsmith or return a gun that had problems should be discouraged .I understand how auctions work but you can hire local gunsmith to look at your prospective buy, the gun the op has seems to need a gunsmith fix the barrels I would love a Dixon even one that needed sorting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked at that gun. It has a non standard ejector system and just seemed a little off. I may be wrong but my sense is CSMC doesn't budge much on $

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have gotten Galazan's to come down $500 on a $6500 gun. I think that may be built in.

Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Back to my Dickson. It was made in 1888 and weighed 6 lb 6 oz. They generously offered to make a new set of barrels for a mere 17,000 pounds. I think I'll pass.

1 member likes this: Dan S. W.
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The gun is off next week to a smith to see about the fit of the barrels. Once that is sorted, I'll address the bores, as those barrels are very thick. .138 at chamber end, and nothing thinner than .060 anywhere. It's probably cheaper to thin from the inside than from the outside as long as the dimensions aren't too drastic.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.