April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hammergun, Jolly Bill, Der Ami, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 446 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
Boxlock
Boxlock

Good afternoon. Need help identifying the manufacturer of the gun. The barrels have Saint-Etienne markings and Suhl markings as well.
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZLZo81SFdpyeAeJ26[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/e3MiU7N7uWLETxRe7[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Eu5dzbzGNeGzwDJ7[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/yWeQ772btKLkGNxi6[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/oTaeq1apQqjBv7mh9[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

general observations: the gun appears to be a normal basic grade french gun - built with the v-c type helice fastening system....the lever markings do not misspell the word helice (as many such examples do - might be a later production). T powder, 65mm chambers - so built after 1912-1920 (?), acier martele - i have seen before, but don't recall any details. the oval D-R mark on the water table is not familiar to me, nor are the very stylish circled initials on the barrel flats - which i read to be a stylized A R. two additional marks are "suhl"....over/under stamped, at the PT on the left chamber, and the word "special" on the right chamber - but no markings that would correspond to having been through proofing there.

another french gun with many questions, and an unknown number of answers....

best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll add a couple of observations to Tom's commentary above:

-- "Acier Martele Extra" on the action = Extra hammered steel (on the action). All the gun makers and barrel makers seemed to have their favorite descriptions of steel. I haven't seen this one before but so far can't associate it with any particular gun maker.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

-- "Acier Spécial" on the barrel flats = Special steel; Never seen the motif and it does not look French.

-- "Acier JOMPc" on the barrels = who knows (possibly JOMPxxx & Cie?) but this is a world record for three different steels advertised on the gun. And this gun lacks the usual lower oval of advertising ("Non pour Balle" or something else).

"prouvé poudre pyroxyleé" - presumably "proofed for smokeless powder" but I believe the French term is actually "poinçons d'épreuve" - put perhaps without the poinçons (stamps) - "prouvé" (past tense of prouvér - to prove) can be used (though I have never seen this stamp on a Saint-Étienne gun).

-- "Choke Rectifie Fanget & Cie"?): Chokes bored by Fanget - well-known barrel maker in Saint-Étienne. See below post from a different gun with that stamping:

-- "Helice Depose der Iriele" or "Helice Iriele per Depose?": The word "Helice" was never actually patented by Verney Carron so many firms used the word. Dépose of course means "registered." "DER IRIELE" is beyond my ken. Why a German preposition on a French gun; "Iriele " isn't a word (might it be an abbreviation of some sort?).

-- The gun's serial number is 679. This maker did not produce a lot of guns apparently.

-- Traditional French stock with half pistol grip and sling rings.

There is a certain crudeness about the engravings and stampings.

Ron - look at the bottom plate of the gun just in front of the trigger guard. Many French guns had the retailer's name stamped there.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/28/23 12:04 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Boxlock
Boxlock

I'm really grateful to you. Thanks for your help, it's very nice. I will search further.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salut,

Pour le marquage sur la clef, je pense à HELICE RIFLE DEPOSE DR.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Merci Fab: Ça a du sens; je peux le voir maintenant. mais que signifie DR ?

Last edited by Argo44; 09/30/23 12:09 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

DR sont les initiales du fabricant de l'arme.
Par contre, je n'ai aucune information sur celui-ci.

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.naturabuy.fr/UNIQUE-DAR...IRE-CAL-20-1896-juxta-item-10949239.html
Un Darne monté avec des canons Didier Drevet de 1896.
L'unité de chambrage est en mm.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Merci Fab. The gun was numbered and stamped after two earlier DD SN'd guns were chambered in cm confirmed by photos. Is it possible the Darne SN is "657?" For the record I'll post the ad and some photos so they won't disappear when the gun is sold.

AVIS AUX COLLECTIONNEURS: très rare, et vraiment unique, venez visiter cette piece de collection,
il s agit d un DARNE/DIDIER DREVET, cette association a eu lieu d après les archives en 1896 ( canon frappè 1896)

il est aussi en poudre noire (POINCON PS) et chambrè en 65mms.

le canon est marquè des medailles de monsieur et madame didier et drevet canonier stephanois il est ecrit sur le canon medaille d or 1855, le canon a donc ètè fabriquè en 1896 par didier drevet, avant que monsieur darne ne depose d autres brevets et fabrique ses propres canons.

Vous remarquerez que le cran de suretè ce trouve a l arriere et qu il y a ecrit FEU au dessus du cran.
La boiserie est en une seule piece , on est donc la sur une piece fabriquèe avant 1900 a poudre noire, et donc piece exceptionelle en CATEGORIE D.

passons aux mensurations de cette piece de musèe (totalement fonctionelle et en très bel etat voir photos); longueur totale 112 cms; longueur canon 72 cms; distance de la premiere gachette a l arriere de la crosse 36,5 cms

il y a eu une petite reparation au niveau du talon de la crosse, que l on devine sur les photos au niveau de la plaque de couche qui est en corne, l embout de la longuesse est aussi en corne,

une belle piece a acquerir pour les collectionneurs en recherche de pieces d execption

Last edited by Argo44; 10/01/23 03:08 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think the "65" on DD 1886 - 7653 is actually a "6.5" without the decimal. The 6 and the 5 look suspiciously far apart. This has happened in other guns especially the 1899 - 8855. Compare it to the "65" on 1919 gun.

Last edited by Argo44; 10/02/23 04:08 PM.

Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.