April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (cpa, JDH, Jimmy W, Pwog, MD2, 1 invisible), 351 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OSS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Local estate find... plywood box with stocks, barrels & misc. parts... One stock is a sporterized 1903, checkered, horn fore end cap, engraved buttplate, Lyman 48 cutout... chip out of the toe of the stock, but that can be remedied. The barrel is dated 09/27, with Star Gauge muzzle mark and barrel coded. So, I've got to bring it all together... thinking a Springfield receiver in the 1,260,000 range fits... would really like nice original blue. I will pay a fair price or trade heavy your way... thanks in advance.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by OSS; 08/22/23 10:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice find. I'm sure that stock is a G&H re-work,

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Bill.

An ultrasonic cleaner with granular spic and span in water will likely clean that buttplate nicely. I bought one for around $100 and considered it more than paid for the first time I used it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack:

That is definitely a reworked USGI stock, probably by Griffin and Howe, and most likely an NRA Sporter stock to boot. Your barrel appears to me to be an NRA Sporter barrel, and not a military barrel. Good find, finding a Sporter receiver will be nearly impossible, but a 1927 receiver should be doable. You need to looks for one drilled for a Lyman 48, or you will have to drill the one you find.

For that rifle restoration, a complete donor rifle may be in order.

Good eye!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming the barrel and the stock barrel channel is for the NRA contour, I may have an option for you. I have an NRA Sporter barreled action with Lyman 48 that has a bad barrel. I also have what I believe is a National Match barreled action with serial numbered bolt, star gauge barrel, headless cocking piece and reversed safety. Excellent bore. The only down side it has been polished (not too the extreme) and hot blued.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
OSS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ken, I sent you a pm... thanks.

OSS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Today at a friends in Whitefish, Montana, I found the receiver for my project. Serial number 1,270,599. It's an SRS hit. Already drilled for a Lyman 48. After a few more questions, we dug through another box of parts and found a Griffin & Howe modified floorplate... I put the receiver into the stock, added the floorplate & sight. They all went together perfect. My friend said he will repair the stock & refinish the metal accordingly & put it all together... this all came together so quickly, it's hard to believe... here are a few pics of the pieces found today... and yes, I think I will go buy a lottery ticket or two tomorrow...

Last edited by OSS; 09/07/23 12:55 AM.
4 members like this: earlyriser, Ken Nelson, Hoot4570, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

That should turn out very nice. Looking forward to seeing it all together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

AWESOME!! Thanks for this thread

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
OSS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I didn't buy a lotto ticket... but I think I hit the lottery... my friend showed up at the gun show today with a gun case in tow. He handed it to me and asked to look inside. I pulled my project out and it had a barrel mounted... I was caught off guard because I hadn't given him my barrel yet as I had left it at home. He said he had purchased several NOS Griffin & Howe barrels 25+ years prior and had never found the right project to use one.... until now. He had them in 30-06, a .270 and a .220 Swift... he mounted the .220 Swift barrel as a "mock up"... he said he could change it to whatever caliber I wanted. My response was ".220 Swift is perfect". I should have my "tribute" G&H rifle within the next month or two... My friends gun work is well known & respected...I can't wait to see the finished product. The barrel date is 8 years later than the star gauged barrel I have, but I couldn't pass up using the G&H barrel. More pics will follow upon completion. Cheers!

Last edited by OSS; 09/10/23 12:16 AM.
3 members like this: Richard Carlson, Ken Nelson, earlyriser
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.