May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Drew Hause, Ken Nelson, battle, eightbore, NTaxiarchis, 1 invisible), 312 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,648
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#634175 08/14/23 12:24 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I made it up to Ellis Brown's annual Elephant Hunt event in Northern Colorado last weekend. I had such a good time, I still don't feel entirely recovered yet today. Shot a number of doubles and one bolt gun, ate some wonderful foods, had some truly spectacular conversations, and after the range had been closed, had a few drinks.

First gun was an Isaac Hollis double in 500-465. This was my first ever "heavy". Recoil was notable, but not insurmountable.

Next was a hammer Tolley BPE double in 450-400. This gun was a pleasure to shoot. More push or shove than "kick". Neat old gun.

After that was my 1st bolt gun, a big Mauser action in .416 Rigby (the "real" .416). This one was a little punishing. After 3 rounds I was happy to relinquish it.

Finished-out with a 9x57 Sauer double. Lovely petite gun, moderate recoil. Pleasant to shoot.

If I had gotten started earlier in the day, I would have likely tried a few more but since this was my 1st time at this event I ended up talking much more than shooting. The drink really crept up on me this time, to the point that I had to park my car and arrange a ride home (lack of practice these days, I fear). In the past, all the food would have saved me, but not this time. Getting old really sucks.

But...good fun and good company! The weather has been fall-like here for the last few days and this event really got me in the autumnal frame of mind. Walking every morning now and back to floor exercises again. Got to get-over from the effects of this recent "desk job" of mine.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/14/23 12:30 PM.
3 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, Parabola, earlyriser
Sidelock
Sidelock

In your observation of the shooters and your own shooting, what double rife shot the best groups and what size were the groups and at what distance?

Did any of the double rifles have sights ( scopes and other optical/laser devices) other than the open sights original to the rifle?

I could use some "fall like" weather here in South Carolina

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

I LOVE Ellis's 22 LR double rifle smile

I have and shoot n IZH-94 Express 30-06 with K-3 Weaver scope,
tis a klunker but works

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/14/23 02:14 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I only had someone observing for the first one (the Hollis) and I hit the 8-inch bull but didn't form a group (one went left). By the time I shot the rest, the targets were pretty beaten up. I was hitting however, because you could see the dust raised behind the target-stand in the earthen backstop. None of the doubles I shot had sights other than the traditional post and rear notch. The bolt gun .416 had a 2 1/2X Leupold on it. There was so-much to take in, I frankly didn't notice how the other guns or shooters were performing. If I had to guess, I'd think the paper-patched rounds in the Tolley seemed to be humming right in there.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/14/23 02:16 PM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, I saw those .22 barrels for the Sauer but didn't get to shoot them.

Kip Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Out of curiosity, do you know what bullet and powder charge he was running in the 450/400?

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kip: Couldn't say, sorry.

I did come home with a loaded .450 No. 2 round in my pocket as a souvenir somehow. The headstamp says "Jamison". It's a big rascal.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/14/23 02:26 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As in most hunting situations, your mind will not be on recoil when you're in the heat of the moment shooting dangerous game. That said, back when I used to go on safaris, I was reloading for my .470NE, something I think most double rifle users tend to do. As you know, you sight in a double rifle by adjusting the speed of your bullets, and handloading is the key to that. I know I found that I used a slightly different bullet recipe for softs and solids. Found it interesting that they shot a bit differently when using everything the same except the bullets. When sighting in such a gun, you'll definitely be more conscious of recoil than when hunting. I used a gun rest that helped with that along with a chronograph, and once you shoot enough, you'll soon be over the recoil issue, especially considering these guns do have more of a push than a sharp kick like some calibers.

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot a 9X57 Darne R model, in the basement rifle range of the factory, in St. Etienne, and felt the same way about the recoil at that time. Seemed like it would be an easy cartridge for whatever you were going to do in North America, not that there is a shortage of calibers here to do that with.

I don’t use the rifles I have.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

In February of 2019 I got a call. Would I like to shoot the custom rifle a gunsmith friend of mine had been building on a Mauser 98 action for a client? The gun was chambered in the now rare Winchester 50-110 and would be on its way to South Africa later in the year. My answer was “Absolutely!” but because of the snowstorm outside I asked when he thought we might have the opportunity. “It’s now or never.” was his answer. I was going to think twice about the invitation but too late. I was already putting my coat on.

The client was there to pick up the rifle and had some hand loads for the gun. They were 625 grain solids. Because of a past neck injury I have to be careful about recoil or the fingers on my trigger hand will go numb so I’d brought my “Past” pad with me which we backed up with some leather scraps from the shop. Settling the gun onto a firm rest I lined up on a steel coyote 70 yards out. The recoil was not bad (I’ve experienced worse) and actually just a short solid push. I just re-watched the video a couple of times and I can hear the ring of the steel even over the wind.

The gun was intended for use in hippo culls but I have no doubt it would do just fine against any of the Big 5.

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 08/15/23 10:07 AM.

Speude Bradeos
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.