May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Themauserkid, Wild Skies, 3 invisible), 235 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,533
Posts545,965
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
why?

If you have to ask it cannot be explained to you.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ed good, you did not specify to whom your comment was directed.

If to me,

1. I have the ability to do the work in my small shop
2. I have accumulated thousands of rounds of factory 16 gauge ammo and at 74 years old
I want to use them up.
3. The 7 1/2 and smaller is great for clay targets, and the #4s and 6s are great for pigeons
4. I reamed in the chokes that I wanted
5. It is FUN
6 For this particular 3200, I have barrel sets in 12, 16, 20, 28 & 410, so far smile

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/10/23 10:09 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by skeettx
ed good, you did not specify to whom your comment was directed.

If to me,

1. I have the ability to do the work in my small shop
2. I have accumulated thousands of rounds of factory 16 gauge ammo and at 74 years old
I want to use them up.
3. The 7 1/2 and smaller is great for clay targets, and the #4s and 6s are great for pigeons
4. I reamed in the chokes that I wanted
5. It is FUN
6 For this particular 3200, I have barrel sets in 12, 16, 20, 28 & 410, so far smile

Mike

An awesome project on your part.

If you wanted to go super extreme add 24ga barrels to your already prefect set.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks
I have given all my 24 and 32 gauge ammo to a friend
who shoots Fausti O/Us in both those gauges.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Project guns are a hobby for me. While I try not to just dump stupid amounts of money on them, I do not care if I spend more on a project than other would. Due to a bad back, I sleep about four hours a day. That leaves a lot of time to fill. Work only covers about 40 hours. I read four to six books a week. I gave up TV a couple decades ago. So I work in my shop on project guns, do a bit of wood working, upgrade the house and work with my Lab. I like the Lab work best.

As Keith said a man needs to know his limits. I have learned most of mine, with guns. More important, I no longer feel the urge to fix everything or restore them. Old guns earned their scars. I will still replace a buggered screw because I just hate looking at them. A simple screw takes a decent amount of time to replace. More if it has light engraving. I do still like fitting and adding a second set of barrels to a gun. I'd rather have two barrel set than have a set of screw-in chokes put in a double. But my barrel stash has slowly been used up and I might be down to a couple dozen orphans. I'll never use them all up but have stopped buying more. To not buy more, has been harder to do than you might think. But like many here, I am getting up in years and have decided not to leave a total mess of my gun things, for others to dispose of.

So before I go in the next 20 years I am going to taper off projects, finish up a multitude of things I have been piddling on over the years and sell or give away things I no longer have interest in. My Winchester model 70's are all gone. My Browning's are almost all gone. I just gave away five boxes of magazines and gave a couple dozen very plain stock blanks to a friend who is going to turn them on his lathe. I decided I was never going to use them so found them a new home. I gave away about a thousand wooden pen blanks, that I used to make pens on my lathe. I still have more than that left, but need to sort them out and find them a new home. It was fun collecting things but now I hope to thin the heard a bit to enjoy the remaining things more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had successes and failures with project guns. My biggest failure was trying to have a set of new, unfitted 32" Utica Fox barrels fitted to a Philly Fox I have. I sent it all to a well renowned doublegunsmith in the Pacific NW to be fitted. He came highly recommended for doublegun work, though I didn't check out his abilities to fit barrels. I wrongly assumed that he was capable. As I said, the barrel set was new, having never had a file or stone put to the hook. Chambers and chokes had been cut, barrels were struck and polished, rib was matted and roll stamping was all in place on the tubes, no beads and never blued. I had a good many $$$ in those barrels in just the acquisition, in the high three digits.

The gun came home with the worst job of fitting you could imagine. Ray Charles could've done better with a worn out chainsaw file. The hook was no longer round, but egg shaped. There was at least .005" daylight on the left barrel/breechface interface and the right barrel breech was barely making contact with the breech face. I would say 30% contact at best, when smoked and examined, and that's really being generous in my estimate.

I've been enlightened about fitting barrels to doubleguns in the ensuing years. Word up .......a nice set of files and stones does not a barrel fitter make. There are far more otherwise accomplished doublegunsmiths who cannot do the job right than there are who can. It's as our resident English friend Ernie puts it, and I paraphrase him ......... "the lessons that I really learned cost me dearly". That one certainly did for me.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
AZMike Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I like project guns, my tool box:
Bondo Glass (you can re-create an entire side lock) Aircraft stripper, Mark Lee, Navel Jelly, Sonic Cleaner. Harbor Freight store close, Linda Ronstadt/Patsy Cline on the Pandora station!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by AZMike
I like project guns, my tool box:
Bondo Glass (you can re-create an entire side lock) Aircraft stripper, Mark Lee, Navel Jelly, Sonic Cleaner. Harbor Freight store close, Linda Ronstadt/Patsy Cline on the Pandora station!

You can fix anything with those two playing. smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
One of the wags, right here says you make your money on a gun when you buy it.

I’ve had a few project guns, and, a universal truth, is, I lost my shorts on almost all of them. They did keep me out of the pool hall, and the education was worth something, but, the more expensive the project gun was, the more I lost.

I have two I feel I won on, a Nitro Special in 16 gauge that was listed on an internet sight for $250, minimum bid. I bid $257, after coming home from a pool hall, and the next day, I was the only bid. The barrel exterior was covered in furry rust. The balance of the gun, varnish, wood, case colors was no less than 99%. Our own Ken61 (haven’t seen him for a few years, hope he is OK) blued the tubes for the princely sum of $50.

The gun is gorgeous. 26” tubes that everybody hates, Cyl and Mod chokes that are worthless, 1938 vintage with factory 2 3/4” chambers, and the original butt plate. I pretend to hunt grouse with it, with heavy metal ammunition at a Federal WMA that requires non toxic shot.

I know I can get $300+ for it, so, I won.

The other is a Mossberg 500 pump, that was given to me. It was broken (guy originally asked for a hacksaw to cut it up, then just gave it to me) and I repaired it, and epoxied the broken buttstock, a laid a spectacular coat of black automotive chip guard paint on the repaired wood. It gets used for duck hunting in Canada every year for two weeks, and then I clean it, and put it away. I know I can get at least $50 for it, so, again, I’m up.

Best,
Ted
I had a buddy at work years ago and he came up to me once and said "I just got a Mossberg 500 yesterday for only $50!!" My reply was - "That's not too bad, the guy only had to pay you $50 for you to take a Mossberg." Haha!

Last edited by Jimmy W; 08/11/23 09:34 AM.
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

my most rememberable project gun started out as a 12 ga gh parker in fair cosmetic condition...wood had some cracks an gouges, with poorly applied varnish, with checkering a faint memory. however, wood was salvageable...twist type steel barrels were heavily pitted and dented. and were not salvageable and certainly unsafe to shoot with any smokeless load...

so, enter gunsmith ed lander...who just happened to have a pair of 12 ga fluid steel barrel blanks, left over from the lc smith liquidation sale...when marlin decided to end their post war production efforts...

old ed refurbished and refinished this deralict old parker, including sleeving the chambers with the aforementioned lc smith tubes. he reused the original ribs...as i recall, i had about $2000 total in this gun, including old ed's basic sleeving job...this was around 2007, as i recall...

after serveral months of futile sale efforts, i finally sold the gun to a skeet shooter in florida...for around $1500, as i recall...lost money...lesson learned not to do that again...

now the good news...for several years thereafter, that skeet shooter would contact me to advise the latest tournement that he won, using that old parker-smith...have not heard from him in many years...he may no longer be with us...if anyone reading this has knowledge of the whereabouts of that gun, please let me know...i would love to have it back, as i am starting a collection of old ed redone guns...

Last edited by ed good; 08/11/23 01:58 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.