May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (AZMike, skeettx, HistoricBore, Argo44, smlekid), 281 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,163
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Early version of the pigeon "cannon"?

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
1 member likes this: Ghostrider
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think Jon is correct that the barrier is on the shooter side of the pigeon trap/launch/throw.

BTW one the of best turn-of-the-century Live Bird shooters was Donald Mackintosh (correct spelling) of Australia - scroll down a bit to the 1900 Olympic Games
https://docs.google.com/document/d/185YOyQl7GIB9OYLs9Hr3tnMLHqs4rjEdR4j_E9l4HLw/edit

Sidelock
Sidelock

Then again........they could be shooting at live pigeons. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Preacher, it appears to me that the shooters are probably standing in line to take their turn at shooting bats that are attracted to the bugs near the shoreline close to dusk. I'd assume the net is possibly to entangle and catch the dead and wounded bats. Or perhaps some sort of divider line, with bats shot further out garnering a higher score.

I kinda doubt if the purpose of the net is to catch unbroken glass ball targets, as skeetx speculated. Since the net is oriented vertically, the unbroken glass balls would simply fall off due to gravity, and get broken anyway. Of course, such a spectacular design failure would have contributed to the demise of this game. So I'm going with bat shooting from the evidence I see. If the bats caught in the net were collected to be sold in the "Wet Market" in Wuhan, China, this might have been the real origin of the Covid19 virus pandemic.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Despite the fact that this event has drawn a large crowd of spectators, you may be quite concerned that this is an illegal activity as you did here:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=56078&page=1

So you may wish to report this possible game law violation to the authorities in New Zealand, on the remote chance that the violators are still alive, and the statute of limitations has not expired. No person is above the law, except Hunter Biden!

Other than that, I see no point in playing guessing games and engaging in wild speculations based upon an old photo with no details. We can't even see what sort of guns are being used. Just think... If Dave Weber had Image Hosting here, he could pay to store every gun and shooting image you find during obsessive searches on the internet. Of course, he would need more data storage space than the Summit Supercomputer, or the Servers owned by Google.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It must be a 24 gauge competition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Double chuckle. I get a Facebook fellow asking people in Times Square all sort of questions the average American should know. Like where is Canada? Where is Aukland? How many hours in a day? Pitiful answers.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Judging by the amount of dunnage on what could be the trap house it was manned with some mother's son!

Having spent a considerable amount of time inside a trap house I estimate the game to be clays, the house is too small to have boxes of birds ready to set. The shooters are on-deck indicating a quick shooter progression. To bring birds would be slow, the gunners would slower to the mark.

Last edited by AZMike; 07/17/23 08:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Aren’t they just standing in line?
Like, stand on this spot to await your turn, so as not to crowd the man shooting?

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tamid
Double chuckle. I get a Facebook fellow asking people in Times Square all sort of questions the average American should know. Like where is Canada? Where is Aukland? How many hours in a day? Pitiful answers.
You probably won't get too many people who can tell you where Auckland is. Now New Zealand- that's another thing.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 07/17/23 08:34 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.