March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#551741 07/29/19 07:36 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

True history of Tula Choke https://wp.me/p461yQ-35e

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would love to read the article but my Russian is limited to "Nyet"

I have a skeet gun that is suppose to have Tula chokes on it but from the pictures I might have something else.

1960's BRNO

It is a 12ga, I use 11/16 oz of 9's, piston skeet wad in a 2 1/2" Fiocchi hull with 16gr of 700x in it and it shoots beautiful patterns.

It is a pretty handy rig as it has a set combo barrels with it in 12ga/22 Sav. Highpower(5.6x52R) that are extremely accurate, shooting sub-MOA to 300 yards. I travel with this in the RV a lot as I can hunt just about anything with it and it does a pretty good job even on a sporting clays course with an ounce of 8"s

Last edited by oskar; 07/29/19 09:54 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oskar, just copy the web address in the first post and paste it into Google Translate. Then click on the English translated website to the right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you very much, I didn't know you could do that. The translation does take a little imagination though, but it was much easier than Russian.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Tula choked gun is a Rottweil Olympia 72 Skeet gun

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting article. I was taught Skeet by a fellow who competed against them in Egypt in 1962 I think. He was shooting a Winchester Model 12 with a Cutts Compensator. I knew the Tula choke was inspired by the Cutts Compensator but did not realize how intricate it was designed. All this before computers. Those fellows either thought in three dimensional ways or did a lot of trial and error. The Tula choke did produce a nice pattern. At one point the Soviets had shells custom loaded for every station that were optimized for the best pattern at every target distance. This was quickly deemed to ge an unfair advantage I was told and not allowed. But having a spreader loaf for station seven and eight would make a lot of sense.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a time when some boxes of paper skeet loads contained some spreader loads. I believe that was all prior to WW2, but I'm no expert on the matter.

And to the station specific loads developed by the Russians for International/Olympic skeet before being banned, some were loaded with cubic aluminum shot! Some serious and innovative thinking outside the box, that and it was well within the former rules.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It might have said so in the article, but the idea behind the Cutts was an expansion chamber behind the choke. The gases were supposed to be bled off through the ports, taking pressure off the filler wad and thus slowing it down so as to prevent it from moving through and blowing the pattern; due to its considerable mass, the shot charge was unaffected. That's the theory.

I have always suspected that Winchester's skeet chokes (WS-1 & -2)with their belled mouths were an inexpensive way to emulate what Cutts was doing.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I first heard of the TULA choke from a Gun Digest article in the 1968-1970 or so period after the Russians really kicked it up a notch in skeet. The form of course is similar to jug choking which was used all the way back in the transitional period of percussion to breech loader to tighten groups.

Not wanting to digress but the referenced link above I found of interest due to the discussion of the original Cutts patent in the 1920's being originally geared toward rifle accuracy. It turns out the the current generation of .22 benchrest rifles use similar stabilizers almost exclusively. Their general use traces back to Bill Calfee who's work was central in a lot of regards to the movement toward the modern .22 benchrest rifle. Bill was an innovater and skilled machinist who worked magic in a very simple shop. He unquestionable built the best rifles of his generation, but was secretive about his methods and back engineered theory for his work based on non-technical reasoning. In the case of his stabilizers, theories have raged for years as to the method of stabilization. He contended that his devices worked by fixing the muzzle so that it stopped all vibration and movement at the exit. This is patently impossible with any vibrational analysis of the barrel. Practicing scientists have shown through vibrational analysis and fluid dynamics studies of the exiting gas column in the stabilizer that the devices improve accuracy by adjustment to compensate for shot to shot variation in velocity correcting POI (which is a weight effect) and to the cancelling of longitudinal gas pulses which disrupts the projectile flight (a gas tube effect). Many people and companies have claimed primacy in the development of such devices, going back to the 60's. Thousands of pages arguing either for a weight based of fluid flow based theory (most without any understanding of the scientific principles involved). In reading the original Cutts work, it seems to discuss exactly a modern muzzle tube. I suspect it has been completely overlooked by benchrest shooters due totheCuttsbeing so intimately linked to shotgun devices.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.