April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (obsessed-with-doubles, LeFusil, bigblock, Sun Dog, Longknife, Wild Skies), 226 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#630996 06/02/23 03:59 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good afternoon all,

I have a pin fire gun that one of the hammers is cracked. I just so happened to run across a casting that looks to be a dead ringer for my hammer in throw shape etc.

Is there a way to tell if this casting is quality enough before doing all the tedious work needed to turn the casting into a usable hammer?

Also anyone do this before and willing to give me some initial direction or advise?

Many thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

how bout having old time gunsmith silver solder cracked hammer?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill Graham can fix it

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to know that one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Travis S
Good afternoon all,

I have a pin fire gun that one of the hammers is cracked. I just so happened to run across a casting that looks to be a dead ringer for my hammer in throw shape etc.

Is there a way to tell if this casting is quality enough before doing all the tedious work needed to turn the casting into a usable hammer?

Also anyone do this before and willing to give me some initial direction or advise?

Many thanks.

Look for small pits or voids in the castings. Especially as you start filing into it. Also look to see that it is completely filled out along the edges where there should be good corners that are not radiused. That's all I know to look for.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you look at Peter Dyson over in the UK?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

If your hammer can be repaired that would be my first choice. Unmatched hammers look bad. An old gunsmith I used years ago, had many pairs of hammers. Often he would replace both at the same time. Had to weld them to redo the axle hole and time them. I’m sure some went right on but doubt most did. Replacing the pair made the wear and engraving equal on both hammers.

I spent several years trying to find a hammer for a Lang which was mismatched poorly before I bought the gun. In the end i bought a stock, action and fore end of holts. I had them just ship me the side plates with hammers, the trigger guard and the forend. Barrels needed sleeving and the action was well worn. I used the pair of hammers to replace both hammers to get my Lang back to being a shooter. Had to keep the original screws. I have bought 50-60 hammers off EBay trying to find matches. Maybe one in ten work. Now I only buy matched pairs as they make replacement simpler. Well I buy them. Most likely they will never get used like the barrels I have picked up over the years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just finished making a hammer from scratch. While I would do it again…..if I had to…. I now know it would not be very enjoyable! My suggestion, if just cracked, send it to someone that knows what they are doing. I’ve had a few items repaired by Peter Nagel of Restorative Welding. While not cheap, it is well done. restorativewelding.com 815-732-1249

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many thanks for the replies.

I will see what I can do to get it welded and if that fails, I can get after the casting I have.

I did look at the Dyson website but none of their castings are close and the one I have looks to be exact. very lucky I am guessing as it is the only one I have ever seen on ebay.

Anyone have Bill Grahams contact info?

Thanks again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Travis S
Many thanks for the replies.

I will see what I can do to get it welded and if that fails, I can get after the casting I have.

I did look at the Dyson website but none of their castings are close and the one I have looks to be exact. very lucky I am guessing as it is the only one I have ever seen on ebay.

Anyone have Bill Grahams contact info?

Thanks again.

<https://www.facebook.com/p/Nice-Old-Double-Gunworks-100069242126161/>...Geo

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.