March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (RWG, Longknife, Der Ami, jcn, ksauers1, Jtplumb), 824 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I suspect you will find more interest once you start work and post photos.
Mike

1 member likes this: Bob La Londe
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted by Der Ami
I suspect you will find more interest once you start work and post photos.
Mike

That is likely true, but people who want to see something like that need to bear in mind documenting and photographing is a process in and of itself. Often I do things in the shop that some people would love to see but it often takes longer to do that than it does to just do it. Video even more so.

--
Bob La Londe - CNC Molds N Stuff
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a real machinist!
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Post your progress and see what happens,

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is always nice to see a good build thread.

2 members like this: Bob La Londe, BrentD, Prof
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had to use old shotgun barrels to sleeve sxs,I try and find a set of cast off double barrels that are at least mid 20th century steel they are soft soldered and brazed at the breech also you end up with ribs,Belgian barrels sometime have the ribs brazed I think some Stevens have brazed ribs.good luck on you project .im up in showlow

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Bob,
If you take mc's example, I suggest you go to the Walther website, I think you can find the German standard and tested dimensions for turning the chamber end of the barrels. At the same time you can " pick out" the diameter of the reamer you will need for the final sizing of the holes in the monoblock.
Mike

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted by mc
I have had to use old shotgun barrels to sleeve sxs,I try and find a set of cast off double barrels that are at least mid 20th century steel they are soft soldered and brazed at the breech also you end up with ribs,Belgian barrels sometime have the ribs brazed I think some Stevens have brazed ribs.good luck on you project .im up in showlow

My folks have a place in a park up in Show Low where they spend their summers. Same name.

I found some loose singles for an O/U. They were pretty cheap so... They have some kind of rib already on them, but it looks funky. Like something I'll have to remove. I got the impression they were new old stock, (never installed) but that leaves me wondering why they are only a little over 23". The breach is already turned for a mono block, but it says the chambers are short. That might mean for 2-1/2 shells or it might mean unfinished. The tracking shows they arrive today along with the new buffer pad for my Buck Mark, so I'll have a look today or tomorrow.

--
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a real machinist!
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The box is here:
[Linked Image from yumabassman.com]

They were well protected:
The box was very stiff double layer, and the barrels were well padded inside:

They look new, if they have some very minor surface rust from a long time on the shelf:

The machining for the chambers end to fit into a block looks decent, and sharp:
Those ribs make no sense to me, but as long as they don't fall off from soldering other things I might be able to just turn them to the bottom and design my forend lug to fit between them. I'll be making my own forend anyway so it can be anyway I choose.

--
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Heat up the rib and see if it falls off . I have been looking for barrels like that only 30 inch or more

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can use conduit for the bottom rib. Cut and fit anf remove the outer coating and solder it on.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.