May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Der Ami, R Reynolds, CJF, Jason Dubois, CJ Dawe, Researcher), 335 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,581
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kip Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all,

I'm looking to get my first really nice gun and don't have experience negotiating with dealers at this level, I could use a bit of help on how to approach this.

If they're listing a (used) gun for $25k, what's a good price to float them initially, and what would you expect to pay at the end of it all? I just read an article by Diggory Hadoke where he mentioned that fine guns can sometimes sell for half of their initial asking price which got me wondering if I've been going about this all wrong.

Advice is much appreciated.
Kip

Last edited by Kip; 05/15/23 08:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many if not most of the guns you're looking at are being sold on consignment. The willingness to negotiate is likely affected by the actual owner's sentiments as given to the dealer. How long the gun has been on the market is likely a factor among other things. Never hurts to give the owner a chance to say "no" as he has a desire to have cash instead of that gun.
I bought a nice English gun a year ago that I knew had been on the market for over a year. I made an offer at about 89% of the asking the price and bought it at 90%.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pm sent

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Three rules I try to live by.

Do your homework and know the approximate current market value for what you're interested in.

Never make an offer you're uncomfortable with and be prepared to make good on your offer.

Don't get caught-up emotionally in the heat of the moment and pay more than you think the gun is worth to you. There's always another one around the corner if you keep looking.

4 members like this: FelixD, canvasback, Parabola, Karl Graebner
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by dogon
There's always another one around the corner if you keep looking.

No, there is not. I’ll provide one example: our fellow member here, Stan Hillis, has an L. C. Smith he bought at the Fall Southern SxS in Georgetown, SC years ago (where he and I first met and formed our great friendship). It is a mint Field Grade 16 ga. with 32” barrels choked tight, ejectors, and Hunter One trigger. Go find another one.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 05/16/23 11:34 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
3 members like this: DAM16SXS, SKB, Stanton Hillis
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

And that is other half of the equation, when you have found what you are looking for, make your move.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: dogon
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are some gundealers who won't budge a dime off listings. As has been pointed out, some guns sold by dealers are on consignment and unless they are willing to take a cut of commission without leaving a net to the seller being the same amount if sold at full price, they have no authority to lower the "ask". Dealer who actually own guns are more inclined to move some. Individuals selling guns who aren't in the business will often move off the asking. There are "tells". An individual who states the price is his "asking" price is hinting that he is open to negotiation. "Firm" means "firm", but there is no penalty for counteroffering. Worse thing seller can do in that instance is say "no". "Firm" offers by non-dealers will often loosen up over time. If you do a "wouldja take" counteroffer, you better mean it if accepted. Anyone who feels insulted at an offer being too low is blowing smoke if they say negotiation is over because of the low offer. Do not ever bid against yourself. A buddy who was in law school sold cars during summer break while numbskulls such as me worked construction. His sales manager gave the following advice: "Tell the potential customer what the sales price is. Never say there might be movement. Make the offer and shut up. If you feel compelled to say something again, stare at the point of your pencil and keep your mouth shut." Same advice applies to a buyer. Gil

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

I spent 20 years looking for an original Winchester leather case for my British service A5 scope.

Then 3 turned up within a couple of years, almost like buses.

The first was like an Airfix kit and was in bits having lost all its stitches.

Fortunately before I got round to sewing it up, a much better one turned up.

Then finally a really nice example with elevation instructions in the lid came my way.

The good news is that I was able to pass the first two on to happy purchasers for what I had paid for each, and none of them cost as much as the £250 I was quoted, some years back, for a modern hand sewn reproduction.

Last edited by Parabola; 05/16/23 02:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Know your gun, know the market. Go past the market if you want but understand you might never get your money back, so that purchase will be for lifetime not until you decide to sell it for something else. If you want to try buying at a lower price a reasonable offer hurts nobody. If they say no then you can always try later or just move on. I know some guns are not easy to find another example of but none are required for me to stay alive. I pass on ten times many bad gun decisions than I pass on good ones.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by dogon
There's always another one around the corner if you keep looking.

No, there is not. I’ll provide one example: our fellow member here, Stan Hillis, has an L. C. Smith he bought at the Fall Southern SxS in Georgetown, SC years ago (where he and I first met and formed our great friendship). It is a mint Field Grade 16 ga. with 32” barrels choked tight, ejectors, and Hunter One trigger. Go find another one.
JR

The exception doesn't prove the rule. And your comments are more germane to collectors (where I would somewhat agree with you), rather than shooters.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.