May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Themauserkid, 3 invisible), 270 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,021
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#62924 10/24/07 10:28 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a 1873 Remington 10ga that I normally shoot 12ga in with GaugeMates. Wanting to shoot some 10ga BP I thought the RST shells once fired could be reloaded. The question is the simplest way to do it. Just make up some hand tools, or does Lee still offer a simple hand set for this? I thought maybe of cutting the crimp off and just glueing the overshot card in to make the shells last longer. Any ideas ? thanks - Paul

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just for everyones info - RST Lites are under 6000psi and cost $11.95 a box of 25. The only place to buy empty shells is Ballistic products and they get $18.95 for 50. So for $5 more I can get 50 loaded shells. It would seem the best way to go is with the RSt's. Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul, Do you have the Sherman Bell 10 gauge load data?
I don't think there's any BP loads, but it may be of interest to you. I can e-amil it to you if you don't have it.
Dave Miles

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have purchased hulls online. Some from Ebay and I think I got some Federals from Ballistic Products. If you live in waterfowl country make friends with the guys shooting the 3 1/2" tens. Many don't reload and will just give you the hulls. Cut them down to the needed length.

I load all of my 10ga, including blackpowder on a Mec 600. The only step I do not do on the Mec with blackpowder is pouring the powder in. I do that with a scoop. I do this only because I don't have a bushing that will throw enough BP and my adjustable charge bar won't throw enough for 10ga.

I have never gotten more than two reloads out of a hull when using BP and to do that I have to carefully sort them while looking for burned through spots. So I have just accepted that I will only get one BP load from a hull.

I do have 25 full length 10ga brass shells that I have loaded many times. You do have to make sure that you clean them with soap and water as soon as you can after shooting them.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike , the problem I've had with my 12ga brass shells is there seems to be a lot of blow-by what gets the action so dirty the barrels have trouble closeing after twenty or so shots. Do you have any problems with the brass shells ? Also, I reload my 12ga BP on a Mec 650. Just did some retooling and pluged the hole in the side of the charge bar with a wooden dowel. Then drilled out the hole for the powder bushing- get about 92grs out of it. With the auto press I just have to make sure I hold the handle down when under the powder bottle to make sure the bar fills completely . Don't know how much you want for the 10ga- would that be enough ? I load 92grs with 1oz of shot- makes a good load. Maybe you could tell me your load for the 10ga ? Thanks - Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul, I had Rocky Mountain Brass make me 2 5/8" shells for my 10 ga. It is my understanding that they will make shells to order and could make shells that would fit your chamber diameter as I get no/very little blow -back from my brass shells. David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocky Mountain does a great job, you will need to cast your chamber and send him the data preferably.
Heres my technique: I found at Home Depot a 3/4" PVC T that measures exactly 2 7/8 long and the 10 ga shell goes in neatly. Then I use a utility knife to trim to 2 7/8, load with 31 gr. 7625 a SP 10 wad and 1 1/4 oz shot, roll crimp and Kaboom-- off I go to the Hunting ground

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't think e-bay list gun stuff anymore- at least I couldn't find any shells. Also tried two or three different gun auction web sites with no luck . Anyone know of a site that sells shotgun hulls ? Stallones , I was wanting to load black powder, not smokeless- but thanks anyways. David may have a good point, get the brass hulls to match the chamber. I have a 250 or so of the Magtechs, but haven't had much luck because of the fouling. So I shoot pyrodex with a plastic wad in Federal hulls to limit fouling and plastic melt down. Guess I'll do the same with the 10ga- now if only I could find some empty hulls. Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul,
B-P sells the Federal Plastic 10 gauge hulls.
They are 3-1/2" and most be cut down, but that's where I buy my hulls. http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/products.asp?dept=75

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Paul,

To be honest I don't have that much experience with the brass shells.

I bought my 10ga almost ten years ago. Just weeks after I discovered this site...... Scott Premier with two barrel sets for $800.

I thought I knew all the facts. IE: No smokeless in damascus & no blackpowder in plastic hulls.

So I ordered up the brass shells and used them until 'I knew better'. Now I generally only use them on opening day of waterfowl, just because.

Mike
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.