March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jeremy Pearce, ksauers1, Lloyd3, jcn, canvasback), 869 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#629796 05/07/23 02:39 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is the 'redialing the knobs to re-dead zero a mounted scope. I have an older Weaver USA mfg. 1" tube 2X7 vari-power that is locked at about 7 sclicks low and 4 clicks rt. and there is no more adjustment left- I am used a Lazer colimnator-bore sighter. This is on my 1950M70 in .220 Swift cal. ammo for that rifle is scarce and pricey, so prefer to to the rough adjustments with a bore scope- final targeting will be a 200yds. on our range "on paper" later on. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are trying to center the cross hairs,,run each adjustment all the way to it's limit (doesn't matter one way or the other).
I think you have done this all ready.

Now reverse EACH adj and go all the way to the end of it's limit the other way,,,AND count the 'clicks' when doing this.

Then go back the other way once again with each adj...BUT only go HALF the number of clicks it took above.

That should get the Xhairs just about centered.

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

You probably know this but once you center the scope as Kutter has described. Use the rear windage screws on the rear mount to get the scope windage as close as possible. Then use the scope windage adjustment to fine tune. You should have plenty of adjustment after that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't own a "bore scope" or a laser for sighting in rifles. I set the rifle up on sand bags, remove the bolt and adjust the rifle until the bullseye is centered in the bore. Without allowing the rifle to move itself I then move the crosshairs until it is on the bull. Then, test fire one round. If you're certainly it was a good trigger pull and the crosshair was "on" when the trigger broke, keep the rifle immobile while you adjust the crosshairs to be dead on the bullet hole. Another round or two will verify the zero. Very little ammo used. I've done this for other people and they were amazed, but it's really very simple. You're just adjusting the scope to where your rifle is shooting that load.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: Dave Weber, Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do similar, but don’t worry about keeping the rifle steady. It’s easier for me to bore sight at fifty yards, then just move whatever the scope clicks claim to be to put that shot a bit high at a hundred, based on the drop charts. I think one still has to burn up some ammo to adjust and verify. Careful with old scopes, some need a shot or two to settle into the adjustment, so I wouldn’t necessarily adjust on every shot.

craigd #629892 05/09/23 04:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used the exact same method as Stan for years, and it saves a lot of ammo and aggravation. It's more fun to use ammo shooting small clusters than walking holes around a target. I'd prefer to never use a collimator spud in the bore of any rifle that I was able to remove the bolt and see through the bore. I feel this way for the same reasons I'd avoid running a cleaning rod in the muzzle when cleaning from the breech end is possible. I just don't want to risk any unnecessary wear or damage to the crown and muzzle rifling. For my muzzleloaders, I have made nylon bore guides on the lathe to use when cleaning or shooting at the range. If I'm careful, I can typically bore sight to within a couple inches of the aiming point at 100 yards. Without even firing a shot, that's as close as a lot of guys seem to manage after burning up a whole box of ammunition. Two shots using the method Stan detailed will usually get the rifle dialed in, and the third shot erases any doubts.

Originally Posted by craigd
Careful with old scopes, some need a shot or two to settle into the adjustment, so I wouldn’t necessarily adjust on every shot.

Agreed, except I have found that simply tapping on the reticle adjustment knobs with the end of a fired brass case after each adjustment seems to take care of any reticle movement lag, without firing extra shots. A couple light raps will do, and the brass is non-marring.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am presently working on the zero on a 22-250. I have it at the top of the X in the bullseye at 50 yards with three rounds that can be covered by a dime that cut off the left top of the X. Now out to 100. Should I just adjust the scope reticle up before firing a shot group? If so, where do I want the crosshairs to be at 100 yards? I anticipate shots at coyotes at 200 or better. I have never been much of a rifle and scope guy as many can tell by my question.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would shoot at 100 at see where it's at

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perry, I'd just shoot it at 200 and see what adjustments are needed. I use a similar round for crows, a .220 Swift with 52 gr. hollow points. I want mine sighted in at 200, no more than that, as the bullet rise (in comparison to the line of sight) has caused me to miss crows at closer distances when I forgot to hold low. With coyotes that shouldn't be near as much of an issue, as the vital area is so much bigger than that of a crow. With my .22 Magnum I sight in at about 100 yds.

Because I don't shoot them enough to remember the drops I like to keep a tiny cheat sheet taped to the top of the ocular bell of my scope, with holdovers (and unders) from 50 out to about 350 yards. Handy and quick to check.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting generality: Most "hunting cartridges" (high powers in general), if they are dead on at 50 yards, will be 1-1/2"-2" high at 100 yards and then be back at 0 somewhere past 200 yards (230-240-ish). There are cartridges which will not fit that description, of course. The .45-70 and other BP cartridges are "too slow" and your Swift (I haven't looked) may be "too fast" for that particular curve. We have an indoor range with a 50 yard backstop. I'll sight rifles in to be dead on at that range and then move to greater distances when we get to opportunity. Of course, I'll make any tweaks at the longer range if needed.

Edit: I meant to add there are a number of ballistic calculators available on the 'net but they often need data that isn't readily available or must be assumed.

Last edited by Hoot4570; 05/11/23 12:36 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.