May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (fullandfuller, cpa, Jtplumb, Tim Wolf, bushveld, 1 invisible), 775 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the many replies and Links. I am going to do a little smoking this weekend and see what touches where. I am also curious about the fit on a couple other SXS's I have that seem to be fitted well and see what/where things touch on those.

I will report back

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonko I think you just don't understand fitting barrels

1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mc
Wonko I think you just don't understand fitting barrels

I'm certain that you are absolutely correct in whatever alternative universe you live in

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I live in the trained gunsmith universe,how bout you

1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just read this thread, interesting. I was looking at one of my vintage British shotguns that had been rejoined back in the day, which is still tight on face but it does have a slight gap remaining between the barrel flats and the receiver flats. I had wondered about that.

But according to Larry Potterfield and the late great Jack Rowe, there should be a slight gap remaining between the barrel flats and action flats when rejoining. I think it might have to do with accommodating for future wear in-order to maintain it staying tight on face? Maybe some of the gun experts can way in on the reason for the leaving a slight gap?

Rejoining Off Face

1 member likes this: David Williamson
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The barrel flats touching the action flats when the barrels are closed and locked is improper and if Jack Rowe was still alive he would tell you that the "trade" refers to this condition as "banging on the flats".

Our colleague on this BBS, Vic Vinters discussed this very issue in his book GUN CRAFT beginning on page 11 --the chapter titled "Jointing & the Circle. I am going to ask Dustin to post page 13 of this book which outlines how a proper fitting double gun should clear the action flats/barrel flats.

Also for those of you interested in the entire process of Joining a Purdey, you can review the other 4 episodes of the video that I posted above.

To believe that the barrel flats should touch the action flats is counter intuitive to physical science and gunmaking basic principles.

Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 05/03/23 02:46 PM.
3 members like this: Kip, Stanton Hillis, Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
Loss of contact of the barrels with the breech face is a problem. In fact, there is a commonly used term for it... "off face", or as the British say, "off the face". And the rear of the barrel flats should not contact the water table. All of the informed sources I've read on this subject also agree with Stan, including "Shotgun Technicana". Here's a link to a pretty good article on the subject by gunsmith Delbert Whitman:

https://shootingsportsman.com/re-jointing-a-gun/

Thanks for the reference and link Keith. I missed your post this morning for some reason. Good stuff.

Tim

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun is off face the breach end and lumps drop down the bolt does not move it comes off the bite so off face can give other. Symptom s this isn't a big deal other them explaining it ,put the gun on face then check the bolt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.goopics.net]

Salut,

En rouge, les points auxquels le canon et les crochets, ainsi que le verrouillage, doivent porter d'une façon absolue.

En vert, les canons ne doivent jamais toucher la bascule.
10 à 15 centièmes de garde au basculage est correct.

1 member likes this: mc
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great drawing,if the gap between barrels and action closes the lump goes down and allows for play in the bolt.the end

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.