May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (welder, Tim Wolf, Karl Graebner, Jtplumb), 336 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,763
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#62844 10/23/07 08:40 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm about to load up some bp hunting loads for the 16. In the past, I have lubed my fiber cushion wad (circle fly) in part to deal fouling issues, but also to minimize smoldering wads that may cause grass fires.

Do any of you who shoot real bp in shotguns for upland birds (esp pheasant or quail) worry about fire issues?

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

First, are you talking about cartridges or muzzleloading? If you're talking about muzzle loaders, you can eliminate the "cushion" wad. Just damp wipe after each shot and use only the over powder wad and the over shot card. If you use anything greasy on the wads, you're more likely to have smoldering than if there is nothing on them. Lubing the "cushion" wad with something containing mostly water will kill smoldering but I don't think you'd want water in cartridges. The so-called cushion wad is mainly useful as a filler or a cleaner in ML shooting. It won't do anything else for you. If you're talking about cartridges, use the wad column (dry) you need to fill the shell. Spray the bores frequently with "moose milk" or your favorite concoction containing mostly water. This will minimize fouling.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is a 16 gauge William Evan's cartridge gun.

Brent

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

sorry to Hijack but this moose milk what is the go with it spray the bore than shoot it out?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some guys that shoot black powder cartridges believes it helps to spray your barrels with a few squirts of water or mOOse milk...lets say between stations on a Skeet Field.

About the most I've seen it dO is make your SxS drip nasty black water on the tOe of your shoe...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Spraying water or whatever down the bore is great for cleaning. But it's impractical in the field so far as I'm concerned. I clean my guns at the truck but not in the cattails.

So, anyway, it appears there is not much experience with the question I posed.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Spraying water or whatever down the bore is great for cleaning. But it's impractical in the field so far as I'm concerned. I clean my guns at the truck but not in the cattails.

So, anyway, it appears there is not much experience with the
question I posed.

Sorry I wasted so much of my time answering your unclear question! The lack of experience is evident but you're confused about who is lacking.
Usual negative comment from Hopeless Joe, no surprise there.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jim,
Sorry to up-end you so early in the day. Spraying water is not practical. Lubed fiber wads do not flash as quickly as unlubed wads - though they are not fire resistant per se, and fire is a real problem some years, not others.

I have been shooting bp cartridges for many years. That does not mean I know it all - hence my question.

Let's hope your day improves.

Brent

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lack of experience...

I shoot every Wednesday with one of the most distinguished black powder shooters in America....

I borrow from his experience....

Jim...Only thing negative in my post was that I didn't agree with yOu.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First, if Jim Legg has a suggestion, I'd believe it. Second, there's not much chance of a fire from wads. You see that problem when a muzzle loading patched round ball is patched too loose and there is blow by, thus setting the patch to smottering [ burning ]. Third, how many shots do you take hunting where fouling will be a problem ? Fourth, if someone doesn't agree with another, would it be too much to ask that you give a polite reply ? So, from my hunting experience with BP [ 37 years ], I don't worry about fires, or cleaning till I get home. Paul

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.