April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, NCTarheel, SKB, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 416 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Lloyd,
I don’t think you and I could be much more different, physically. That said, I shoot 1 1/2” and 2 1/2” drops, same as you. But, a gun at 2 3/4” DAH is still OK for me. If it goes the other way, say, 2 1/4” DAH, I’m out.

I have passed on some lovely guns that had high dimension, 2 1/8” seems to be a number I have seen on some really nice stuff. But, I know better.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe this is Capt "Blue Rock" Money shooting one of his Parkers - long LOP and little drop with a mount one could see at the Southern next month

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me too Ted, meaning I know better than to try to shoot a "too high stocked" gun, as well.

Many Italian built doubles are stocked too high for me at the comb and at the heel. Zoli, C. Guerini, FAIR are all examples that are normally stocked too high for me. Berettas are not. I don't shoot trap, and don't want a gun to hit higher than 60/40. Both my built to order .410 doubles (Dickinson and FAIR) are stocked a little too high for me, even though I requested 2 5/8" DAH. They will both get bent eventually ........ hopefully they will bend.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
I believe this is Capt "Blue Rock" Money shooting one of his Parkers - long LOP and little drop with a mount one could see at the Southern next month

Isn't that a leather handguard under Capt. Money's forehand?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. One variant and very commonly used by Inanimate Target shooters

Ewing and Beattie of Canada with Lefevers; Gold & Silver at the 1908 London Olympic Games

Others wore a glove on the leading hand

And the Rowley pad was specifically marketed to raise the DAC

A special determination was made prior to the 1898 GAH at Live Birds, when gun weight was still limited to 8#
Sporting Life, John L. Lequin. secretary of the Interstate Association, writes us under date of Feb. 25, 1898 as follows:
“We have received inquiries from most all directions recently from a number of shooters who are probably desirous of entering the Grand American Handicap next month, concerning the weight of guns, and whether the handhold and recoil pad will be counted as a part of the gun when weighed. The subject has been placed before the Tournament Committee of the association, which committee has decided that the guns will be weighed naked.”

That “naked” would be minus Hand Guard, Rowley Pad, or recoil ‘boot’.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the best demonstration of turn-of-the-century gun mount; live action (the first minute) from the 1912 Stockholm Olympics
Even some of the English shooters "crawled the stock" rather than shooting "heads up"

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted:

When I was getting into more-serious shotgunning (back in my late 30s), I was measured at a high-end gunshop in East Central Pennsylvania (their name escapes me at the moment, but they owned the Thomas Bland name then) by an American fellow that seemed to know what he was doing. He came up with that 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 number. I then watched an Englishman (Chris Batha) measure a friend of mine here in Colorado a few years later and he essentially performed the same functions, so I figured that those numbers should be pretty good. Both folks used English try-guns (the one I used had a very-heavy trigger!). Come forward about 30-years and I'm guessing that both of those "fitters" had it about right, but I'm guessing they both subscribed to the same school of thought, which is English and then based on driven game. I suspect that walk-up hunting provides a very different set of challenges, and with that in mind, different dimensions might be considered. It sounds from what I'm reading here that more drop is OK until you get to about 3 1/2 inches at the heel? Cast and pitch are a whole different can of worms.

Edit: I was fitted at Woodcock Hill (had to look that one up).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/31/23 12:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
That would have been Glenn Baker . Both he and Chris Batha were taught shooting instruction and gunfitting at the BASC Instructors course of which I was one of the tutors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you've learned to shoot classic American sxs, especially if your gun dates back before WWI, you've likely adjusted to a stock that is both shorter and has more drop than you find on classic British sxs. I once guided a hunter that showed up with a new Spanish gun, dimensions based on a professional fitting. He shot that gun on Iowa pheasants the first day and did not do well at all.

The next day, he switched to a Parker, which was the gun he'd been shooting prior to having the fitting and buying the bespoke Spanish gun. He shot very well. I tried mounting both guns. The Spanish gun was both longer and had less drop than the Parker. I told him that he had obviously adjusted to a gun that was "wrong" for him based on the fitting. And that he might very well adjust to the gun that was "right". But the difference between the two was significant enough that I doubted he'd ever shoot both of them equally well.

But your ideal dimensions can change based on how your body changes as you age. I'm thinking that's happened to me, because the gun I've been shooting best at skeet lately has an LOP of 14" and almost 3" of drop. Previously, 3" of drop usually left me looking at the top lever with even the front sight invisible. I'm sure my arms aren't any shorter (although I've probably lost an inch or so of height and definitely put on some weight.) But contemplating my next purchase, I'm thinking about guns with shorter LOP and more drop.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, I would hazard a guess and say that the main reason American shotguns have less drop is because the manufacturers can save a tremendous amt. of money on straighter stocks. Consider how much wider a blank has to be to accommodate a stock drop of 2.75-3" heel drop as opposed to 2.25-2.5". Multiply that times a million guns and you've got a significant savings on raw wood. The so-called gunwriters push all of that stuff about the excessive drop of the old guns, but somehow hunters managed to kill off most of the game in North America with them. I'm about 6'4" with long neck, and I settled on 1 3/4" comb and 3" heel drop early on when I couldn't hit a bull in the ass with my old 870 Remington and stumbled onto an old A. H. Fox that fit me like a glove.I've never looked back. Just one observer's opinion. Sandlapper

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.