March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eightbore, DAM16SXS, 4 invisible), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Spring, you have every reason to be proud. These days, an ever smaller percentage of the population raise their hands, swear the oath, and put on the uniform. I was an Army Reserve officer in the 90's, witnessing Clinton's cuts in the military. First the Active side, then both the Army Reserve and the National Guard . . . and we were supposed to make up the slack for the Active Army cuts. After Vietnam, the Pentagon brain trust swore that we would never again go to war without calling up the Guard and the Reserve. When Clinton ordered us to play peacekeepers in Bosnia--a relatively small mission in the mid-90's--the cuts on the Active side were deep enough that they couldn't even handle that without the Guard and the Reserve. An Army Reserve Military Intelligence battalion from the Detroit area participated in the Bosnia mission. Then returned home to learn that their unit was being inactivated. We needed them then, but we were sure enough we wouldn't need them in the future to get rid of them? Must make sense to someone. I couldn't see the logic in it.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/30/23 09:32 AM.
1 member likes this: spring
Sidelock
Sidelock

Spring, from a "leg", please tell your son-in-law, that we appreciate his service.

L.Brown, During the post Viet Nam confusion converting the "Draft" Army to the Volunteer Army they did many things designed to make it seem they were keeping their promises. They held illegally constituted promotion boards to "pass over" officers after they had already "Riffed" the number they said they would limit the "Rif" to and wanted to make more reductions (at least courts intervened). When they couldn't support what decided to do, other times, they would set up a "test" and structure it to show what they had already decided was in the "best interest of the government". They converted many Military "slots" to "civilian" and changed "Construction" Engineer Battalions to "Combat Heavy", in order to improve the perception of the " tooth to tail" ratio. Instead of saving money over all, it cost more, but the additional costs were in different "appropriations". It was mostly smoke and mirrors. It is the same after every war.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Attending yesterday’s Army Airborne Graduation was very special, especially as I heard more about the rigorous path it took for these young soldiers, Marines, and sailors to get there. The class started with over 400 participants, all volunteers for this effort, and whittled down to only just over 300 that could finish. Sailors working towards BUDS, young soldiers just out of Basic, Special Ops guys from both the Army and Marines, with almost all being extraordinarily motivated and athletic, all worked together towards their goal of earning that Airborne medal and exclusive distinction. About 10% of the mix were officers and a few females earned it as well. Almost all were exhausted and pounded both physically and emotionally at the end. Many were headed immediately afterwards to US military bases around the world.
My son-in-law is currently in Civil Affairs, has spent a year away from home in Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Iraq, and also was on the 9/11 prosecution team in Guantanamo. He’s a federal prosecutor on the side.
Hearing the graduates chant the Airborne Creed in unison and their commitment to their potentially isolated level of combat was stirring.
It was a special day, while also emotionally rewarding to know that there are men and women like these that have volunteered to protect our country and stand the watch.

[Linked Image from iili.io]

[video:youtube]
[/video]

3 members like this: Jolly Bill, John Roberts, Karl Graebner
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Spring,
Congratulations to you and your Son-in-Law, a very well deserved and proud moment for both of you! The photos are very touching as well. God speed!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Airborne"! All the Way Sir!
I got my Jump Wings in the spring of 1972--headed to the 82nd and FT Bragg, we wore the C*** Cap dress headgear with Glider patch until "they" made us switch to maroon berets! We DID NOT like them!

Last edited by AZMike; 04/01/23 11:06 AM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Great pictures. I lived about 150 yards from the 82nd's practice jump tower on Stonestreet Avenue at Fort Bragg in 1967. Many times I was tempted to go airborne, but I resisted that temptation. Now I am disappointed that I didn't sign up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a 2S college deferment that was basically worth nothing, but I didn't sign up for service, took my chances, and somehow missed the draft with a draft no. of 14 in '69. All I think about when the subject of 'Nam comes up is how much contempt I have for Lyndon Johnson and Robert McNamara throwing young men to die into that worthless place, all the while playing politics instead of kicking ass. My heart goes out to those who went and came back, and those who went and stayed. Terrible waste of courageous humanity.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 04/01/23 05:43 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back when I was an Assistant Scoutmaster in a local Boy Scout troop, we would take the troop down to Charleston, SC, to spend a weekend on the USS Yorktown every year. One of our requirements was the troop had to view the film that was shown to all the ship's visitors. In that film is a segment showing a squadron of American dive bombers taking off from a carrier with only enough gasoline in the planes to go one way....not enough gasoline to come back. The entire ship crew was on deck saluting each plane as they left the carrier. I cried like a baby.....every time I watched it.

Last edited by NCTarheel; 04/01/23 09:38 PM.
2 members like this: Parabola, Karl Graebner
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was that the Tokyo raid when they managed to launch B-25 Mitchell bombers from a flat-top?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Parabola
Was that the Tokyo raid when they managed to launch B-25 Mitchell bombers from a flat-top?

No, that was the naval battle of Midway going against the vastly superior Japanese naval fleet. If it wasn't Midway, it was during that time period.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.