May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (LRF), 848 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by liverwort
I'd like to hear more about that first turkey with the 20ga Win model 37. I'm trying to wring as much out of the experiences I'm having because I started late. I have heard the drumsticks are often not used just the breast and I admit that they are on the tough side. I saw a youtube video by a group that calls themselves The Hunting Public, and they slow cook the legs for 24 hours and claim it was very good. This will be part of this year's experience if I'm lucky.

The story of the model 37 might seem unusual today, but at the time it was the sort of thing that happened with most boys who grew up in rural AL. I got the gun in 1964 at age 9, and mainly hunted squirrels with it. My dad bought it used for $20. My family wasn't starving, but we did count on game and fish for a large part of our meat diet, and I understood that the primary purpose of hunting was to feed the family.

I was very lucky to get a deer with the gun in 1965, but had been unable to get a gobbler. My father called one up for me in the spring of 65, but the turkey saw me before I could shoot and I missed as he was running off. He tried to call for me some other times, but he said I wasn't still enough and started letting me hunt alone.

He put me out on a big pasture before daylight with instructions on where I could go, and he went on down the road away from me. I remember that I heard 4 different gobblers and decided to set up between a couple of them. I did my calling with a homemade box that he made for me, and was careful to not overdo the calling. I was facing one of the gobblers that was still gobbling in the woods in front of me, when a gobbler clucked behind me and walked up to within 15 yards. I was hid well and able to shoot him before he saw me. It was only a jake, but I couldn't have been happier!

4 members like this: Parabola, liverwort, Stanton Hillis, GLS
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Coosa, thank you. That's what I call easy reading! I remember being a little proud of making a contribution to the dinner table, as a kid.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

6 of the 12 kids have shown up with some stud birds so far this morning for the Lowndes County Longspurs Jakes hunt. What a morning!

6 members like this: Parabola, playing hooky, BrentD, Prof, Geo. Newbern, GLS, liverwort
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I previously mentioned that I was experimenting with a Black powder load for my Fox double. I used some paper hulls 90 grains of 3F and 1&1/4 ounces of #6 shot. Hard card wad over the powder and a fiber wad on top then the shot. I tested it at 30 yards using a facsimile of a turkey's head. The pattern was a little left but both shots I fired would have been killing shots, as there were pellets to the brain and vertebrae. Only a couple of pellets though in each, with a few more that would have caused trauma. Definitely is not anything like a TSS pattern. Stout kickers too! I also tested the exact load in a plastic hull, and for some reason, it patterned poorly. I think I'll try a modification using a plastic shot cup on top of the hard cardboard over the powder wad.

I only tested the left full choke barrel.

2 members like this: Parabola, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

2 inch 7/8 oz in a Burgess or 2 1/2 inch 1 oz in Daw SXS…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
2 members like this: Parabola, liverwort
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

shrapnel, at what range? I favor the hunters that call them in close as opposed to the long-range shooters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by liverwort
shrapnel, at what range? I favor the hunters that call them in close as opposed to the long-range shooters.

The bird with the Burgess was sneaking up within 20 yards, the Daw was calling the bird in to about 20 yards. Light loads require stealth and some luck…

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
1 member likes this: liverwort
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a story I wrote years ago about a turkey hunt in 1968. I went turkey hunting this morning and walked by the place where it happened. I didn't hear a turkey this morning, but I still have the memories from hunts long ago:

I honestly can’t remember getting up that morning – it was 42 years ago and my memory ain’t that good. But I’m sure I was excited when my dad called me to get up and get ready to go turkey hunting with him. I was in the 8th grade and it was a school day, but school didn’t start until 7:45. We would have a couple of hours to hunt before he had to go to work and I had to go to school. He went nearly every morning, but he didn’t often let me go with him during the week. I could get up and go by myself around the house, but I usually didn’t hear anything when I did that. Today, I was going to a place loaded with turkeys.

My dad put me out in the dark at an old road at the bottom of a hill, and he went a little further down the road. He told me to be back by 7 a.m., and under no circumstances was I to be late. I was on my own, and he was putting a lot of trust in me. I had my 20 gauge pump, a homemade box call, and a brown canvas hunting coat. I probably had on blue jeans, but really can’t remember. I remember being excited at getting to go to such a good place. It was a tract of land that was covered with big hardwoods and a few big pines, with an old field on top of the hill. I had killed 2 jakes in my turkey hunting career, but I desperately wanted a longbeard, and I thought this might be the day to get him.

I climbed the hill to the top and listened in old field. Right at dawn, a turkey gobbled to the west and I went to him and set up. I yelped at him on my box and got a response, but then a hen started yelping between us. I had excellent hearing back then, and after listening to the calling for a while, I decided that it was my uncle yelping on a Lynch box. I knew that he was coming into the area from the other side some days, and I was convinced that was him, and not a hen.

I was trying to decide if I should leave and go somewhere else, when I heard the strangest gobble I’d ever heard back to the east. He started out strong, but about halfway through the gobble he switched to what sounded like a cough. I’ve heard thousands of turkeys since then, but never heard another gobble quite like this. I’d heard jakes before, and I knew this turkey was different. I quickly started thinking of him as the Turkey With The Messed Up Gobble – TWTMUG.

As soon as I heard him, I left the first bird and headed his direction. I distinctly remember fighting through the briers in the old field, but that was the quickest way to him and that’s the way I was going. The first setup on him didn’t work out. He gobbled several times at my calls, but went the other way. But he was gobbling at everything, so I didn’t know if he was really interested in me or not. I finally moved up several hundred yards and eased up to the hardwoods from the edge of the old field. As I was looking down into the bottom, he suddenly gobbled just out of sight. I had to just sit down on the ground, without a chance to hide or sit against a tree. I yelped at him and he answered, and in a moment I saw him! He had a nice long beard and was a beautiful turkey; it was just his gobble that was unique.

I was hoping he would come right to me, but instead he climbed the hill to my south and stood in the edge of the old field about 100 yds away. I yelped again, and he answered again, and then started to me, coming through the big hardwoods toward me. He went down into a dip, then started up the hill coming right at me. He sure wasn’t in a hurry, but he was definitely on his way.

It was at this moment that I remember looking at my watch – it was 6:50. I was a 10 minute walk from the meeting place. I rationalized that it could be a 5 minute run, so if the turkey would come on, I could still make it. He didn’t. He stopped about 50 yds below me and gobbled and strutted and drummed. I now had to make a decision. The responsible thing to do was to get up, run back to the meeting place, and hope that I could get him another day. Or I could stay and try for the turkey, and then face the consequences. The consequences would be steep – a certain whipping, a ban from hunting the rest of the season, a 0 on the English test I had first period, and everybody around would be mad at me. But the possible reward was getting to carry out TWTMUG. It was a difficult decision for an almost 14 year-old to make, especially under such intense pressure.

And so I made my decision – I would stay after the turkey and face the consequences later. There was just no way I could stand up and flush my prize gobbler and watch him fly off; not when I was so close to success. I forced my punishment out of my mind and focused on the turkey. There was no way to call again; he was staring directly at me and he would surely see me if I tried to use the box. I waited, and finally he started toward me again. I knew that I need him at 30 yds for the 20 gauge to kill him, and he only needed to take a few more steps. At 35 yds, he started to go behind a big oak, and I had my gun aimed at the other side of it. Just before his head went out of sight, he stopped and started staring a hole right through me. I wasn’t camouflaged, and he knew something wasn’t right. I knew he was suspicious, but I was afraid that if I tried to move the gun and shoot him there he would get behind the tree and be gone. And the range was iffy too. I made the responsible decision this time; I would wait.

Finally, the head disappeared and I got ready. As soon as he came out, I would shoot him and then hurry down the hill, grab my turkey, and sprint for the truck. 30 seconds went by and he didn’t appear. A minute – no turkey. 2 minutes, and a sick feeling came into my stomach. I finally slid around on the ground so that I could see behind the tree and my worst fears were confirmed – my turkey was gone. He had put the big tree between us and than ran about 75 yards and gone over the hill, without me even catching a glimpse of him. It was one of the biggest disappointments I’d ever experienced.

I got to the meeting place at 7:20. Daddy had left me, and there was a note on the ground with a rock on it. There were no pleasantries in the note – it simply said, “Stay here and wait on your mother.” I did. She came up in the car in about 20 minutes. She was mad. She carried me to school and the principal was mad. My English teacher was really mad. That night I got the expected whipping, and the ban for the rest of the season was pronounced. I didn’t complain about any of the punishment – I knew it was coming as soon as I decided to stay after the turkey.

I never heard the TWTMUG again. But I think of him often. And I think of what I learned from the experience – things about responsibility, dependability, and the consequences for failure to live up to the expectations placed upon us. I think about those things and I wonder if my experiences and wisdom gained over the past 42 years would lead me to a different decision today. Are you kidding? My only regret is that the turkey got away!

4 members like this: Parabola, Karl Graebner, liverwort, GLS
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, a great story with a moral at the end which is: To a turkey hunter, the hope and expectation was worth the punishment and that one has no chance at killing a turkey while sitting in school. .As Tom Kelly wrote in the Tenth Legion, careers have been wrecked and funerals of close relatives have been missed as a result of the obsession. My small bird hunting partner after observing my obsession with turkey hunting in the early years saw what it was doing to me so he has never gone. Gil

2 members like this: coosa, liverwort
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is one awesome story.

I didn't turkey hunt until I was in my 30s. No one I knew hunted them and it took a long time to kill my first.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 members like this: coosa, liverwort
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.