Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Naw shallow pit, take anything what’s his face says with a grain of salt, he’s been having trouble with his ass from elbow comparisons.
That is a very lovely double. 150 yrs and looking great!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

well, if it is indeed 150 year old wood, then dont shoot it much, as the wood may begin to disentegrate...

and as for the pin hole? seek professional help...better safe than sorry...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
well, if it is indeed 150 year old wood, then dont shoot it much, as the wood may begin to disentegrate...

and as for the pin hole? seek professional help...better safe than sorry...

You don't know much about 150 year old wood or guns. I have a Daw Shotgun that is even older and I have shot dozens of upland game and turekeys with it. You may need to stick to something else to criticise, because you don't know old high quality shotguns.

Steven Dodd Hughes wrote 2 articles on the Daw for Shooting Sportsman magazine and looked the gun completely over to write the articles and he forgot more about fine guns than you will ever know. Suffice it to say, you need to do something else besides armchair quarterbacking shotguns...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting!
Do you have information as to how the gun remaining in such amazing condition for 150 yrs.?
Was it Nitro Proved at some point?

BTW: the barrels are English 2 Stripe
'Zipper' weld between straight ribband end welds

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

According to Bro. Helsley, the barrels on Best grade were labeled in the Powell ledgers as "Best", and were usually 3 Iron. Other grades were simply "Damascus" (usually 2 Iron) or "Stub Damascus" (usually Laminated Steel).

Tiny superficial pits are not uncommon and were usually from surface inclusions lost during the finishing process. I tried to enhance your image and there are a few more nearby. I can't explain the loss of contrast in that area, other than possibly from light rusting that was successfully scrubbed away. Do you know if the barrels were ever rebrowned?

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shrapnel,
My observation was meant to be a 'heads-up' - not a criticism.

I have collected Powell guns for over 20-years and have a significant collection. My
collecting focus is the 'lifter' (guns like yours) so I have a firm grasp on their quality.
My collection contains two 'pin holes' - unfortunately.

As to your stock, I believe the wood is original. I have a lifter with similar wood. There
is an easy way to possibly confirm its originality. Remove your right lock. During that
period (1870s), Powell's stockers would usually stamp their initials in the wood below
the front tip of the lock plate.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best policy on your forearms posted here: whatever "advice" Ed Good offers, just do the opposite and you'll be fine.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
4 members like this: bushveld, RARiddell, graybeardtmm3, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a similar Powell s/n 4661 and in similar condition. Mine has had some re-blueing and has been nitro proved (by Powells).

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 03/29/23 01:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

regarding old wood on old guns, i only know what i have seen..sorry it aint what you an udders wanna hear...

good luck, an keep your loads light and your screws tight...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good

You know not of what you speak.

The Lang record book says that my Joseph Lang with original wood was completed March 6, 1866 so it is now 157 years old. I quit counting cartridges shot in it several years ago and that was at 6,000 so it's now fired between 6,500 and 7,000. The wood is still fine and I'll continue shooting it until I pass it down to my grandson or granddaughter. And I suspect that one of them will be shooting when they reach my age of 74 and they are only 16 and 12.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took some pictures of the proof marks...

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.