March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (jcn, Lloyd3, ksauers1, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 858 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

GE Lewis circa 1906. Ordered as a light fowling gun (plover, wood pigeons, etc). The 12 bore, 30” Vindex Steel barrels sport a raised flat filed rib, are proofed for 1 1/8 Oz, 2 3/4” chambers, and are choked R- .006 & L- .016, MWT is R-.027 & L- .026, bores are R- .736 & L- .737
Barrels correctly marked in the G.E. Lewis fashion “Gun of the Period”.
Barrel black is at 90+ %.
Anson push rod forend release with steel fancy shaped & engraved forend tip.
Gun weighs approx 7 1/4 lbs.
Ejectors are Deeley box & perfectly timed and strong
Action is robust, with side bolsters, third bite, Greener type lever work. Recent strip & clean and inspection, mechanically excellent!! Pins are in good condition and tight. Action furniture, cover plate, and trigger guard tang and screw has been reblacked. Engraving on the trigger guard tang is getting light, but not too bad.

Wood is good. Buttstock is a replacement done in England many years ago. It’s sound, with good inletting and no cracks. Could use a refinish to try and match the forend wood (original) better. Checkering is worn on buttstock and forend, but pattern is there if a recut is desired.
Dimensions are: 14.5” LOP to a red pad, 1 3/4” dah, 1.5” dac.

Action is marked JA, meaning the action was sourced from Joseph Asbury in Birmingham. Action maker to the trade extrodanaire. It’s of very good quality.

This gun is listed in the GE Lewis records as being ordered by the Trist family in Tristford, Harberton in December 1905 and delivered in 4th of January 1906 for the sum of £38.18.

A nice classic fowling piece, excellent for decoying waterfowl when using bismuth or TM loads. Built by the G.E. Lewis family who was known for their extremely high quality and beautifully finished fowling guns. Gun is tight, on the face, mechanically excellent, and stout. I’ve shot ducks, sharptails and even wild Chukar with this gun. This Lewis would also make a superb pheasant gun.

SOLD

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

8 members like this: Mills, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, dukxdog, GLS, BrentD, Prof
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun!

1 member likes this: LeFusil
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks mc, it is a nice gun. The engraving is very nice (likely done at the Lewis shop themselves as George Lewis was an accomplished engraver to go along with a highly respected gunmaker). It has pigeons & plovers on the action and the cover plate is engraved with golden plover. Obviously indicating what the guns intended use is for.
The scroll work is very nice as well.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun and priced to sell unlike some of the usual online suspects... Gil

2 members like this: LeFusil, mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been rebuffed 5 times in my efforts to send you a private message, I am continually shown a "user not found" message.
Possibly on my end?
In any case my interest is genuine. Won't waste your time.
Possible to make contact and speak?

Last edited by mel5141; 03/24/23 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mel5141
I have been rebuffed 5 times in my efforts to send you a private message, I am continually show a "user not found" message.
Possibly on my end?
In any case my interest is genuine. Won't waste your time.
Possible to make contact and speak?

SPF

Sidelock
Sidelock

very nice

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.