March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#627715 03/21/23 08:05 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is it possible to weld up a buggered screw head? Where would you go for something like that?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes it is.

If you’ve ever seen a new screw or pin made, you’ll wonder why someone would go through the trouble of having one welded up. Welding an old one up seems like more trouble than what its worth.

1 member likes this: SKB
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'm with Dustin on this. I have done it both ways but these days I just make a new screw.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the screw isn’t too bad it can be fixed. But, the decision to fix also depends on the gun and/or location because you do loose some of the head to repolishing. Other than this, I’m with the others and would make a new one versus welding. Any method used will require recutting the any engraving. But, if you want to pursue welding Peter Nagel at Restorative Welding can do it.

Last edited by rwarren; 03/21/23 10:48 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

RARiddel,
There are buggered screw heads and there are buggered screw heads. A lot of them can be repaired by putting a slot width metal shim in the screw slot and pein the metal back to the shim with a punch and small hammer, then clean it up, and recut the engraving, if any. If one is too damaged for simple repair, you have to make some decisions. First, are you able to cut the thread to make a new one, is it important to the possible sale of the gun to have all original parts( even if some are repaired, do you know someone that can do that level of welding), and are you able to clean up the welded screw head. I suspect that this " soul searching", would result in more new screws being made than old screws being welded up.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Soul searching, nice! Sounds like a new screw is easier.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by RARiddell
Soul searching....

The Zen of Gunsmithing, somebody needs to write a book wink

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

90% of damaged screws are fixable by peening the metal back into place.
Those that aren't, I lathe turn the damaged top off down below the slot. Silver solder a new oversize piece of round stock in place. Turn that to the orig screw head size.
I leave the head 'tall' and with a rough hacksaw slot.
Turn the screw into place a few times to seat it then mark the 12 & 6 slot and surface lines.

Take the tall head down to just shy of the surface mark. Use the 12& 6 marks to cut a new narrow slot with a Jewelers Saw.
I usually back the slot up to 11 & 5 as that one last time back in place will always draw up tighter than all the ones before it.

Final trim the head to the surface or round as needed. Polish and engrave

The Hard solder joint is well below the surface and not seen.
I've done hundreds like this. It goes pretty fast once you're used to it.
Re-capping screws...

Welding always seemed like a PITA way to do it.
Bad welds, hard spots, etc.

2 members like this: Run With The Fox, Hammergun
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter,
Thanks for the tip
Mike

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

To replace or repair slot destroyed screws. The gun in the picture has an over widened screw slots on all the screws except one replacement.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yes it could be replaced and re engraved though it is a little past trying to correct it. The problem I see is this, the gun is one hundred and fifty years old made by a top London maker the screw is original to the gun and seeing that a gun is only original once so as the gun functions perfectly well as the screw is so I decided that if I replaced it it would be to make me feel better not the gun work better, therefore I decided to leave well alone it may not suit other people so am I right or wrong?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is the replacement because it was missing when I purchased the gun though I do see it as a wart I would sooner have had the broken screw now looking at it using hind sight.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.