March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I FOUND THIS JOHANN PETERLONGO MAUSER SAFARI RIFLE IN 11.2x72 CALIBER

I had been searching for quite some time for a Big Bore Safari rifle that was built in my birth Country of Austria,

Well, I just added this one to my collection. It looks unfired in 99% original condition. It was brought to the U.S. from Austria by the family's grandfather - and it was likely never fired because there was no ammo available in this country.

Please feel free to comment. I'm still smiling ear to ear. smile

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/pla-000.jpg < --- see pictures here

2 members like this: Parabola, earlyriser
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bet you are. Congratulations its pretty amazing!

Sidelock
Sidelock

1st pass was in late 1909 and the diameter was 11.3mm. Then a little later the final pass under Nitro seal was also in late 1909. Now there weren't any surplus Mauser actions so this was a very expensive proposition and had to be acquired directly from Mauser or Mauser outlet. I do not see any German mechanic marks, just Ferlach marks. As far as the initials >>AR<<, the only Ferlach R mechanic I can conjure up is Rosenzopf but he was Val. Rosenzopf? Maybe he had a Brother???

As far as AR German mechanics, August Raßmann of Z-M is one of a few and

Albert Röll of Suhl is another possibility but I have no idea if either worked for Schüler?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting Böhler trademark too....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello ellenbr,
Thanks for the reply.

The Bohler trademark appears twice -- its on both the left and right flats next to the rib.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does the number on the bolt handle appear anyplace else?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HalfaDouble
Does the number on the bolt handle appear anyplace else?
Hello HalfaDouble,
Thanks for the reply.

The numbers on this rifle were explained by a knowledgeable member of a different Forum. ....

Originally Posted by buckstix
".....Its hard to see in the picture .. the bolt handle number is numbered "6328" which does not match the rifle action number of "26311". However, there is a small number "10" on the other side of the bolt handle. You can see in the pictures the same number "10" on the bottom of the action and on the bottom of the barrel. There is also a number "10" on the wedge. The trigger-guard assembly is numbered "311" which matches the last 3 numbers of the action number. ....."

Originally Posted by a member of a different Forum
" ...... the number "10“ is an assembly number by the shop that put the rifle together. Such assembly numbers served the purpose of keeping the fitted parts sorted during further steps of hardening, polishing, bluing and so on. Apparently the gunsmiths did not care much about keeping purchased Mauser parts sorted by Mauser serial numbers. It’s not unusual to find parts of several Mauser actions combined in one pre-WWI rifle. Here the bolt from action number "26328" was used to complete action number "26311". Another such mix-up may be seen in an old thread about a 9.3x62 rifle by Foerster, Berlin. On that rifle receiver and bottom metal of two 1908 commercial Mauser actions were combined with an even older Mauser bolt. ...."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too, I'll reiterate for emphasis to demonstrate just how far out on the forefront this platform & ammo is. Mauser actions were scarce as hen's teeth prior to the 1st Great Disagreement in Europe, without paying an arm & a leg. I am not positive, but the 11,72 Schüler arrived on the scene say circa 1907 and it sometimes is referred to as the 444 Schüler whilst the 404 Jeffery appeared slightly after say circa 1909. Now even rarer is the 11,2X72R surfaces circa 1909 and guess where it appears in a period Katalogue: Peterlongo Katalgo 1909. It had of course a very short product life, but somehow Peterlongo was @ the pinnacle of the German Big Bore technology. Also, Peterlongo went one step further and acquired a Mauser Gesteck and had it sent to Ferlach to roll out a bore in 11,2X72 Schüler just as the ammo is being manufactured. You know, a tid-bit of info might be gleaned from the Ferlach Proof facility with the preliminary data-string & the final pass nummer.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Likewise, info suggests that Krieghoff was involved in the Schüler German Big Bores and Krieghoff could well be the sourced for the Krieghoff - Schüler Mauser rifles. So there is some Peterlongo - Kreighoff - Schüler connection.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Under the August Schuler umbrella August Schüler Gewehrfabrik, Mechanische Waffen- und Munitionsfabrik, the concern attempts to infer that they make their own ammo??? So if any portion of this is true, not only did Schüler develope & design their own ammo, but they just may have manufactured some?? Sources give that even Roth didn't even include the 11,2X72R until the 1910 katalog.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.